Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > American Ale > All-Grain - Bee Cave Brewery Haus Pale Ale

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-03-2008, 02:22 PM   #321
Danek
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumbo82
I made an 11 gallon AG batch of this stuff last weekend. The only difference was my homebrew store doesn't carry Nottingham yeast, so I asked them for a good substitute. They recommended Safale S-04 which I used. After searching this thread, it appears that I should have used Safale US-05 instead. Now I'm wondering how this double batch will turn out. I suppose its an English ale now instead of an American ale, but will this still be a good tasting beer? I'm new to AG (only my second batch). Thanks.
I just made a split-batch IPA comparing S-04 and US-05. The S-04 has some slight fruity notes to it, whilst the US-05 is cleaner and drier. I think for the style the US-05 would be more appropriate, but the S-04 will still make excellent beer. So RDWHAHB!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-03-2008, 02:31 PM   #322
Jumbo82

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Thanks Danek. That puts my mind at easy. Half of this batch will be going into my first keg, the other half into bottles. I'm looking forward to comparing the two. And I'm really looking forward to having a beer in my kegerator (which still being assembled)!

Old 04-03-2008, 06:35 PM   #323
scinerd3000
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdWort
The recipe calls for 2-Row Pale, but you can use 2-Row Pils if you need to. Be sure to use a 90 minute boil if you use pils so you reduce DMS.
i keep reading about DMS but i havent had a problem with it during 60 minute malt brewing sessions. Is this much more prevalent in AG?

Old 04-03-2008, 06:39 PM   #324
MikeFlynn74

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts

AG with pilsner malt

Originally Posted by Tenchiro View Post
The successful have nobody to blame but themselves, I really wish they would take some responsibility for their own actions...

Old 04-03-2008, 06:40 PM   #325
scinerd3000
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 29

and also i cant seem to find crystal 10L. ive been looking at northern brewer since they have better shipping rates than the other places ive found.

....am i able to substitute anything with the same L degree and flavoring? (im assuming this is referring to the color)

Old 04-03-2008, 08:46 PM   #326
EdWort
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 242 Times on 131 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by scinerd3000
and also i cant seem to find crystal 10L. ive been looking at northern brewer since they have better shipping rates than the other places ive found.

....am i able to substitute anything with the same L degree and flavoring? (im assuming this is referring to the color)
Crystal 20L will work fine. It will have a more golden color to it.

Old 04-03-2008, 08:51 PM   #327
BakerStreetBeers

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdWort
Crystal 20L will work fine. It will have a more golden color to it.
I made my first batch of this recipe last week and my LHBS also didn't have Crystal 10L. I wanted to keep the color down, so I went with a "dark" 11L munich that they had.
On Tap: Dunkelweizen, Strong Irish Red
On Deck: Agave Wit, DC's RyePA, Belgian Blonde

"Ale man, ale's the stuff to drink / For fellows whom it hurts to think."
- Housman

Old 04-04-2008, 07:25 PM   #328
PiecefulToker
Recipes 

I made a batch of this yesterday (my first AG) with Crystal 20L instead (LHBS didn't have 10L). I accidentally undershot my target mash temp, it was 147 for the first 15 minutes until I could boil more water (1 gal), which then only brought it up to 150. I know this will make the wort more fermentable, but do you think it will drastically affect the flavor? Should I think about adding some maltodextrine at bottling for more body?

BTW I used an extra pound of base malt to account for low efficiency on my first AG attempt. It was bubbling like crazy in the fermenter this morning, so it is off to a good start. Unfortunately, I forgot to take an OG reading last night, and I will be out of town, so that sucks. It looked great in the fermenter and smelled awesome, so I am looking forward to this one in any case. Any suggestions?

Old 04-04-2008, 08:02 PM   #329
EdWort

Recipes 

Liked 242 Times on 131 Posts
Likes Given: 7

RDWHAHB!

Time to start on another batch.

Cheers,

EdWort

Haus Pale Ale, Bavarian Hefeweizen, Robust Porter, Oktoberfest Ale, Wounded Knee IPA, Rye IPA, BCB IPA, Kolsch, Apfelwein

Old 04-06-2008, 04:28 AM   #330
BeavBrew

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
I made a batch of this yesterday (my first AG) with Crystal 20L instead (LHBS didn't have 10L). I accidentally undershot my target mash temp, it was 147 for the first 15 minutes until I could boil more water (1 gal), which then only brought it up to 150. I know this will make the wort more fermentable, but do you think it will drastically affect the flavor? Should I think about adding some maltodextrine at bottling for more body?
I had the exact same problem hitting my mash temp.

I brewed this today as my first AG. Overall I think it went ok. Besides the mash temp issue, I also broke my auto siphon and my dog knocked my hydrometer off the counter, breaking it as well. At least I gathered a lot of data on my HLT and MLT.

I'm very excited to see how this turns out. I don't think I messed it up too bad. Hopefully my next AG goes a little smoother.

"Everyone wants to live at the expense of the state. They forget that the state wants to live at the expense of everyone.” - Frédéric Bastiat

"He was a wise man who invented beer" - Plato

Quick Reply