Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > American Ale > All-Grain - Bee Cave Brewery Haus Pale Ale

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-28-2013, 01:04 AM   #2871
Beernewb
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 2

i have this grain bill, but only centennial, chinook and citra...don't ask...I could drive 45 min to my lhbs and grab 2 oz cascade, but does anyone have a suggestion to make these three hops work in this grain bill for a pale ale? I obviously won't have the gravity for an IPA, so i'm hoping to make these hops work in here for a decent pale ale...anyone? bueller? tia.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-28-2013, 02:57 AM   #2872
chalkdust41485
This is no hobby....
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Absolutey, you could use any of that combo for an awesome beer. To stick closely with the style for this beer, I'd suggest the centennial as a sub for the cascades. The Chinook will add a bit more resin flavor. The citra is a bit more tropical fruit flavor. But I'd still sub the centennial for the cascade, adjusting for overall IBUs, and a touch of the citra or chinook late for the tropical or resin flavor additions. You can't go wrong either way.

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.” -- Ben Franklin

Primary: Rye Amber, Traditional Mead (Fresh Blackberries after first transfer)
Keg 1: Rub My Belly (EdWort's Pale Ale)
Keg 2: Dog House (Strong Ale)
Bottled: Dog Haus (Pale Ale), Wagging Tail (Sam Adams Boston Ale-ish), Muddy Paws (Oatmeal Stout), Raging Rabies 2.0 (11.0% IIPA)

Old 09-28-2013, 03:56 PM   #2873
samorg42
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Default Love your recipes

Ed: I brewed a citrusy IPA recipe of yours and a Pale ale previously. Both were great! I like your beers better than any of the brew pubs. I love your work! I've been brewing all-grain in keggles for less than two years and people are starting to think that I am some sort of expert. That is not the case.....yet, but the results have been really good. I really keep it simple, use good recipes, like yours and try to follow directions.
I am starting to get to the point where I can comfortably make substitutions, either out of necessity because of ingredient availability or for customized taste.

Old 09-29-2013, 09:49 PM   #2874
dave8274
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave8274 View Post
My batch of this has a slightly sour flavor to it. I thought it might be a little green, but it's been in the bottle for a month now and it hasn't changed. I had a homebrewing friend try it yesterday and he thinks it might have gotten infected.

Any other possibilities on the sour flavor? It's drinkable, but not very good.
Just tried to drink another one of these and if anything, it's getting worse. It's more sour and cloudier than last time I tried it. Pretty sure the batch got infected somehow. Oh well, gives me an excuse to try again this week

Old 09-30-2013, 01:07 AM   #2875
yewtah-brewha
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 61

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave8274 View Post
Just tried to drink another one of these and if anything, it's getting worse. It's more sour and cloudier than last time I tried it. Pretty sure the batch got infected somehow. Oh well, gives me an excuse to try again this week
Damn, I hate that, I've been there, hang in and dont give up!

Old 09-30-2013, 01:13 AM   #2876
yewtah-brewha
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 61

So I have this grain bill on hand, but I only have cascade and chinook, what are your suggestions as far as when to use them. I was thinking 1 oz cascade @ 60 and the chinook for the 3 final aditions per ed's recomend.

Old 10-10-2013, 07:35 PM   #2877
JohnSand
Recipes 

Liked 204 Times on 147 Posts
Likes Given: 605

I'm in. Mashing right now. Subbing 1.5oz Fuggles for bittering (I have a lot of fuggles), Amarillo for flavor, Munich LME for Vienna (not enough Vienna on hand). I'll divide it and ferment half with Nottingham and half with 05.

Old 10-13-2013, 12:45 AM   #2878
brew2enjoy
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 36 Times on 31 Posts

Call me crazy, but I drank a Fat Tire for the first time yesterday, and it reminded me of this beer. Needless to say, I am brewing it again right now

Old 11-01-2013, 11:55 AM   #2879
Culbetron
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts

Just did a 7 gallon batch of this. It's great. Fermented with dry Coopers yeast. After 4 days of 66 degree ambient temp it's from 1.050og to 1.009! Hop aroma and flavor is great.

Any advice on a what carb volume for this? I was thinking 2.7

Old 11-03-2013, 10:38 PM   #2880
atimmerman88
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 320 Times on 196 Posts
Likes Given: 783

2.7 sounds pretty high....

IPA's run 1.9-2.3 but IMHO the rye really complements a lower carb level closer to 2.0

Untapped

Quick Reply