Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > American Ale > All-Grain - Bee Cave Brewery Haus Pale Ale

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-20-2013, 06:11 AM   #2841
brewNOLA
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by mesa4234 View Post
I am thinking of brewing this but moving the first hop addition to 30min instead of 60. Has anyone tried this before?
I did this a couple of year's ago with this recipe. I think I did all of my additions in the last 20 min of the boil and scaled up on the hops amount to hit the IBUs. Turned out very piney tasting. Not green of or off in any way, just intensely piney from the hops. Hate to admit this, but came home from cruising around the French Quarter on Mardi Gras day (after drinking a fair amount), cracked open a 32 oz of this late hopped Pale Ale and could only drink a few sips - way to piney tasting. The only homebrew I think I've ever dumped.

HOWEVER, this is one of my favorite recipes and I plan on brewing it this weekend and playing around with mash temp to see if I can get a maltier version.

Last edited by brewNOLA; 07-20-2013 at 06:13 AM. Reason: Further comment

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-22-2013, 02:07 PM   #2842
NickTheGreat
Recipes 

Liked 202 Times on 121 Posts
Likes Given: 133

Just made this last night. First AG brew, so I hope it's a good one!

Didn't notice until I got home that the guy at the LHBS gave me Caron-10 Malt rather than Crystal Malt.

Guess we'll see how she turns out!

Old 07-28-2013, 04:03 AM   #2843
Zibe
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Just started drinking this one and its awesome. Been experimenting with home roasting grains so made my own pseudo-vienna and crystal 20 for it. Add in that I used harvested yeast from a prior batch and I think I came in around $18 for one of the better brews I've made. Hopefully my first year cascade plant will be ready in a few weeks and the next batch will cost about $14, can't beat that with a mash paddle. Great recipe.

Old 08-12-2013, 10:33 PM   #2844
NickTheGreat
Recipes 

Liked 202 Times on 121 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickTheGreat View Post
Just made this last night. First AG brew, so I hope it's a good one!

Didn't notice until I got home that the guy at the LHBS gave me Caron-10 Malt rather than Crystal Malt.

Guess we'll see how she turns out!
Well brought this keg to a family reunion and it is pretty much gone. And this is amongst BMC drinkers, so I was surprised it went so fast.

Gonna be making again, for sure!

Old 08-15-2013, 11:38 PM   #2845
Col_klink
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Brewed partial mash version of this last week. Just took a hydro reading and man the sample tasted great!! Started to cold crash and should bottle in a few days. Thanks Edwort!

Old 08-22-2013, 03:17 PM   #2846
Malty_Dog
Recipes 

Liked 88 Times on 62 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Col_klink View Post
Brewed partial mash version of this last week. Just took a hydro reading and man the sample tasted great!! Started to cold crash and should bottle in a few days. Thanks Edwort!
Want to do a partial mash of this one also. Thinking of just 3 lbs DME and 3 lbs 2-row for the base. DME is expensive! Really looking forward to next brew day when I plan to do this along with a hoppy brown ale. Can't come soon enough.

So many recipes...

Fermenter: MO/Amarillo SMaSH
Bottles: Bee Cave Rye IPA, Surly Bender (American brown), Wee Heavy, Rare Vos (Belgian Amber)

Old 08-22-2013, 04:45 PM   #2847
Clonefan94
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 192 Times on 128 Posts
Likes Given: 50

I brewed a version of this about 6 weeks ago. Finally got it on tap and ready to drink. I was running low on Cascade so decided to use some other hops I had a better supply of. I used US Tettnanger for the bittering and Chinook for the other additions. Now, I am a huge fan of Chinook, but holy crap, I did not expect this to be anywhere nearly this good. I'm going to brave the heat this weekend to brew this again. This keg is going to go really fast.

Untappd Username: Clonefan94

Old 08-23-2013, 03:22 AM   #2848
BuffaloBeer1
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I've been loosely following this thread for the past year after looking for something simple but tasty to do with my first batch of homegrown cascades, but wanted to push the IBU's more towards the ipA. After I was done brewing this last August I realized I had just used Victory malt instead of Vienna. It took awhile for the malts to blend to a drinkable ale and in the end was okay. I just pitched the yeast tonight on a batch of this. Based on all of the great reviews, I decided to stick with the original posted recipe. I'm excited to have a great everyday pale on hand soon. Thanks for the ideas.

Old 08-24-2013, 12:16 PM   #2849
sar_dog_1
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Subscribed. Gonna make this for the wifes boss. Better be good. Lol

Old 08-29-2013, 05:27 AM   #2850
Kb8607
Recipes 

Likes Given: 2

I followed this recipe to the T except for crystal 15 instead of 10 as that's what my LHBS had. Brewed it on 8-14, kegged it on 8-24 and just pulled a pint tonight to give it a taste. It's not carbed up enough yet, but dang does it taste great! Now if I can keep my hands off of it until its finished carbing... I love simple, quick turnaround brews like this one! Thanks for the great recipe.

Quick Reply