Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > American Ale > All-Grain - Bee Cave Brewery Haus Pale Ale

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-11-2013, 08:16 PM   #2831
BuffaloBeer1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mesa4234
I am thinking of brewing this but moving the first hop addition to 30min instead of 60. Has anyone tried this before?
You can definitely move the hops to 30 min. And yes, it would not b nearly as bitter. You would still get the hop flavor, since most of the flavoring comes from 20 min and under. I've done that with a few beers, just not this one. If your going to do that, rather than increase the hops at 30 min. I would figure out how many IBU's you would get from that. Then just use less hops by moving the 30 min addition back to 45 min or whatever it takes to get the desired IBU's. (unless your goal is to decrease the boil time). Longer boil time with the hops = more bitterness, shorter time = more flavor (and eventually aroma). Remember, if it doesn't work out the way you hoped, you could always make it again.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-19-2013, 05:09 AM   #2832
Setesh
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 245 Times on 188 Posts
Likes Given: 282

I have to say, this is my favorite session recipe ever. This beer is only 10 days old (3 days on gas and gelatin) and it is just fantastic. Went over really well at a family reunion we hosted tonight. So crisp and light. It's one of those beers that almost anyone can appreciate. Great for bringing people in from the BMC crowd. Properly good recipe EdWort. This will go into rotation along with your Hefe. I think I'll try the Oktoberfest Ale next.

Old 06-20-2013, 07:57 PM   #2833
RatsoRizzo
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

First taste of my batch of this after 3 weeks carbing up in bottles. Easily my best effort since my return to brewing last summer. Followed the recipe apart from using carapale instead of 10L and used WLP001. It's midsummer in Sweden tomorrow, the biggest drinking day of the year and this will be my beer of choice. There can be no greater compliment. Thanks EdWort, an epic beer.

Old 06-22-2013, 03:13 PM   #2834
ThickHead
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 45 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 9

For the life of me I don't know why it has taken me so long to get around to brewing up this recipe, Ed. However, the time is right and tomorrow is brew day. One question of interest I have on this recipe is related to head retention. How is the head retention on this recipe in its original form? Would you steer me away from mucking it up by adding a small amount of carapils or wheat for purposes of boosting head retention?

Cheers!

Chad

"I am a firm believer in the people. If given the truth, they can be depended upon to meet any national crisis. The great point is to bring them the real facts, and beer."

-Abraham Lincoln

Old 06-23-2013, 02:04 AM   #2835
wyoast
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Finally got around to brewing this recipe... Recently switched to BIAB and still getting dialed in so my OG ended up @ 1.060 and I pitched WLP-001 and it finished @1.010 but Ive got to say,,, Of all the brews I have under my belt this one is definitely my favorite!! excellent..

Old 06-23-2013, 12:31 PM   #2836
wyoast
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThickHead View Post
For the life of me I don't know why it has taken me so long to get around to brewing up this recipe, Ed. However, the time is right and tomorrow is brew day. One question of interest I have on this recipe is related to head retention. How is the head retention on this recipe in its original form? Would you steer me away from mucking it up by adding a small amount of carapils or wheat for purposes of boosting head retention?

Cheers!
Don't know about the head retention of the original recipe.... but I did add a little carapils to the batch I made and it came out wonderful!!!

Old 06-23-2013, 12:53 PM   #2837
ThickHead
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyoast View Post
Don't know about the head retention of the original recipe.... but I did add a little carapils to the batch I made and it came out wonderful!!!
Thanks for the feedback. I went ahead and added 8 oz of carapils to the recipe and changed the crystal 10 to crystal 20 to increase the SRM. Brewing it up later this morning.

Chad

"I am a firm believer in the people. If given the truth, they can be depended upon to meet any national crisis. The great point is to bring them the real facts, and beer."

-Abraham Lincoln

Old 06-23-2013, 10:33 PM   #2838
Amesanite
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

This was the first beer and maybe the best beer I've brewed. Today it became the first beer I've remade!! I did change it up and try it with Citra whole hops this time

Kudos for the delicious recipe Ed!!

Old 07-07-2013, 07:00 PM   #2839
abrdnck
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 2 Posts

Brewed this up this morning - a good chance to try out my new brew kettle and cooler mash tun that I made last week. Got 5 gallons in the carboy with an OG of 1.050, so I think I got things pretty darn close.

I used S-05 yeast and had to use Crystal 25L but other than that I followed things as closely as possible.

Can't wait to try this one out.

Old 07-13-2013, 01:26 AM   #2840
ThickHead
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Brew day went perfectly with my little bro assisting. Hit gravity numbers perfectly and only a few changes from the original recipe. Some newly installed Brew Hardware components fromm Bobby made sparging and wort transfer a breeze. Transferring to the keg tonight and will be sampling by Sunday afternoon!

New 3 piece ball valves with CamLock fittings installed on Mash Tuns

Mash out

Sparge

Chad

-Abraham Lincoln

Quick Reply