Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > American Ale > All-Grain - Bee Cave Brewery Haus Pale Ale

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-12-2013, 11:51 PM   #2771
smath
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Brewed this for the first time about 3 weeks ago. Only change was a 90 minute boil (with a 90 minute hop addition) because it was really cold and windy which led to me having trouble maintaining a good boil for the first 30 minutes....then i ran out of propane....twice...) Other than that, everything went smoothly

I did a 10 gallon batch that I split into two fermenters. Pitched Notty into one and S-04 into the other. In the S-04 carboy, I also added a tea that I made with orange zest, bitter orange peel, coriander, and seeds of paradise. I steeped everything in boiling water for ~15 minutes and dumped it all into the carboy. I dry hopped both batches with 1oz of cascade after 1 week in primary and let sit for another week before racking to kegs.

I'm tasting the first samples right now after 3 days on the gas and they are both delicious. A little bit more bitter than planned due to the 90 minute boil but still very balanced and delicious. I think I'll use more orange peel and coriander next time because the flavor and aroma is pretty muted right now. That may change once it has time to condition for a couple of weeks (if it lasts that long!).

Here's a pic: A little bit of chill haze and a bit cloudy due to it being the first pint out of the keg but still beautiful!

Thanks for the recipe, EdWort!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-14-2013, 11:13 PM   #2772
HarryGrowth
Recipes 

Likes Given: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by smath View Post
Brewed this for the first time about 3 weeks ago. Only change was a 90 minute boil (with a 90 minute hop addition) because it was really cold and windy which led to me having trouble maintaining a good boil for the first 30 minutes....then i ran out of propane....twice...) Other than that, everything went smoothly

I did a 10 gallon batch that I split into two fermenters. Pitched Notty into one and S-04 into the other. In the S-04 carboy, I also added a tea that I made with orange zest, bitter orange peel, coriander, and seeds of paradise. I steeped everything in boiling water for ~15 minutes and dumped it all into the carboy. I dry hopped both batches with 1oz of cascade after 1 week in primary and let sit for another week before racking to kegs.

I'm tasting the first samples right now after 3 days on the gas and they are both delicious. A little bit more bitter than planned due to the 90 minute boil but still very balanced and delicious. I think I'll use more orange peel and coriander next time because the flavor and aroma is pretty muted right now. That may change once it has time to condition for a couple of weeks (if it lasts that long!).

Here's a pic: A little bit of chill haze and a bit cloudy due to it being the first pint out of the keg but still beautiful!

Thanks for the recipe, EdWort!
Beer would clear up and taste a whole lot better if you changed the glass it was poured in. Try something purple. Looks great anyway!

Old 04-15-2013, 05:52 PM   #2773
libeerty
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 101 Times on 67 Posts
Likes Given: 42

Made this with just Simcoe and Conan (yeast harvested from Heady Topper.) My friends are convinced it is the best beer I have ever made. My only issue is that Conan attenuates CRAZILY so my FG was lower than I wanted. Next time, I am going use this same recipe, but up the grain a bit.

Absolutely amazing grainbill for a pale ale!

Tried to keep up with this signature, but just couldn't.

Old 04-16-2013, 12:08 PM   #2774
radek
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Brewed this about 2 months ago; keg is now nearly empty. Great recipe template that lends itself easily to tinkering. Used crystal 40 in this one; next one I will use completely different hops; some Amarillo would go nicely with the Vienna malt, I think.

Thanks Ed.

beer1.jpg   beer2.jpg  

Old 04-16-2013, 04:44 PM   #2775
ladodger34
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 9 Posts

Gonna order the ingredients for this and try it for a BIAB batch!

Old 04-19-2013, 12:28 AM   #2776
MaltedBayerl
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by barleywhore69 View Post
Sigh...
5 gallons of this will probably get dumped.
I never quite got it to really boil with my crappy stove.
So it is totally my (stove's) fault.
Now I have a heatstick.
It tastes like DMS (I think).
Very unpleasant. Should have known. Tasted like crap in the hydrometer samples every time...
Sucks.
I will try again though.
It got better after a couple weeks. All drunk up now!

Old 04-21-2013, 03:28 PM   #2777
Amesanite
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Bottled only a week ago but I couldn't wait. My first taste of my first brew. It's delicious.

image-587308554.jpg

Old 04-21-2013, 04:37 PM   #2778
thadius856
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 543 Times on 247 Posts
Likes Given: 155

My first keg finished force carbing last night. The second is carbing right meow.

Delicious. The warrior I subbed for bittering is a little sharper at the finish, but it's still very very drinkable. I'll be putting it ahead of Cream of Three Crops and Centennial Blonde as-written. Though I think the Centennial Blonde could take the lead back with a simple dry hop of... Centennials.

Pricing using recipe posted previously, using my LHBS for grains and Yakima Valley Hops for bulk hops, comes out to $25.85 for 10.5 gallons. For frame of reference, Cream of Three Crops costs me $24.78 and Centennial Blonde costs me $21.23 for the same batch sizes.

Thadius Miller, Project Manager -> RaspberryPints

Before you build a keezer, look at this!
Chest Freezer Spec Sheets and Layout Drawings (15 models and counting)

Old 04-21-2013, 05:13 PM   #2779
mrklueber
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by thadius856 View Post
My first keg finished force carbing last night. The second is carbing right meow.

Delicious. The warrior I subbed for bittering is a little sharper at the finish, but it's still very very drinkable. I'll be putting it ahead of Cream of Three Crops and Centennial Blonde as-written. Though I think the Centennial Blonde could take the lead back with a simple dry hop of... Centennials.

Pricing using recipe posted previously, using my LHBS for grains and Yakima Valley Hops for bulk hops, comes out to $25.85 for 10.5 gallons. For frame of reference, Cream of Three Crops costs me $24.78 and Centennial Blonde costs me $21.23 for the same batch sizes.
Thaddius, thanks for the price comparisons. Sometimes I forget to calculate the cost of my brews since I buy most of my grain in bulk. Nice information to know.

Old 04-21-2013, 06:37 PM   #2780
thadius856
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 543 Times on 247 Posts
Likes Given: 155

I buy in bulk too. My wife was nice enough to enter my entire inventory into BeerSmith and set the prices, so BeerSmith does all the work.

Thadius Miller, Project Manager -> RaspberryPints

Before you build a keezer, look at this!
Chest Freezer Spec Sheets and Layout Drawings (15 models and counting)

Quick Reply