Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > American Ale > All-Grain - Bee Cave Brewery Haus Pale Ale

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-05-2013, 07:24 PM   #2761
flatlanderHQ
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdWort

This is my Haus Pale Ale. A very quaffable beer that is very easy to make using basic ingredients and a dry yeast.

Grain Bill
8 lbs. 2-Row Pale Malt
2 lbs. Vienna Malt
0.5 lb. Crystal 10L Malt

Mash
Single Infusion mash for 60 minutes at 152 degrees.
I batch sparge in a 10 gallon water cooler with a stainless braid manifold. Click here for great info on Batch Sparging.
Dough-in with 3.5 gallons of water. After 60 minutes, add 5 quarts of 175 degree water and begin vorlauf. My system only takes about 2 quarts before it clears up, then it's wide open to drain in the kettle. Have another 3.25 gallons of 175 degree water ready for the next batch sparge. You should then get 6.5 gallons to your kettle for the boil.

Mini Mash

You might be able to do a mini mash with 5 lbs. of light DME.

Heat 3.5 qts of water to ~168/169F in a pot.
Heat a gallon of water to ~170 in another pot.
Add 2lb. of Vienna and 1/2 lb. of Crystal 10L (crushed grains) to the pot with the 168/169F water and stir very throughly.
Put lid on that pot, placed in oven at 150F.
Let it sit for an hour.
Pour the water (now wort) into your brew pot through your strainer. Put grains back into pot.

Pour the 170F water into the pot where your grain is, stir throughly, let sit for 10 mins. Pour that wort into your brew pot through your strainer.

You'll get 50-60% efficiency with that partial mash method.

Add additional water, extract, and hops to the brew pot and proceed like usual.

Extract Version

Here's what I have converted for an Extract version. Vienna must be mashed, but Austin Homebrew sells Munich LME which should bring this pretty darn close to the All Grain version. Just steep your Crystal 10 L and do a full boil and follow the hop schedule.

6.5# Extra Pale LME
1.5# Munich LME
8 oz. Crystal 10L (steep)

Boil & Hops
1.0 oz Cascade 6.6% at 60 min.
0.5 oz. Cascade 6.6% at 30 min.
0.25 oz. Cascade 6.6% at 15 min.
0.25 oz. Cascade 6.6% at 5 min.

Chill to 70 to 75 degrees

Pitch with Nottingham Dry Yeast. No starter or hydration. Update! With the Nottingham shortage, Safale -05 is a great substitute and will make a great beer too. Very similar.

This ferments out very fast, so I will crash cool and keg after 1 week to 10 days. This recipe is calculated at 75% efficiency. I'm getting over 80% though with my Barley Crusher and my 10 gallon Rubbermaid cooler w/stainless braid MLT.

The beer drops very clear after sitting in the kegerator for a week and looks like this.

It's my Haus Ale because it turned out to be a beer that everyone likes. It's light, crisp, dry, and very tasty which means several trips to the tapper.

You can get all the ingredients with a single click here: http://www.brewmasterswarehouse.com
Gggghh

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-06-2013, 03:41 PM   #2762
thadius856
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 529 Times on 245 Posts
Likes Given: 155

Brewing this today.

Had to adjust for 82% efficiency, 10.5 gallon batch size and Great Western's Crystal 15 on the left coast.

My Cascade comes in at a wimpy 4.1% AA, so instead of dumping in massive quantities of Cascade to compensate, I've removed the 60 minute Cascade addition and replaced it with Magnum then balanced it back to the 39 IBU called for in the original recipe. I doubt it will change the flavor much, as 60 minute additions provide very little flavor as it is and I'm replacing it with a neutral bittering hop. Vitals look to be the same.

Here's my result:

Code:
BeerSmith 2 Recipe Printout - http://www.beersmith.com
Recipe: Haus Pale Ale - 2013.04.06
Brewer: Thadius Miller
Asst Brewer: EdWort
Style: American Amber Ale
TYPE: All Grain
Taste: (30.0) 

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Boil Size: 12.52 gal
Post Boil Volume: 11.02 gal
Batch Size (fermenter): 10.50 gal   
Bottling Volume: 10.00 gal
Estimated OG: 1.051 SG
Estimated Color: 4.5 SRM
Estimated IBU: 39.0 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 82.00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 82.8 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amt                   Name                                     Type          #        %/IBU         
13 lbs 10.2 oz        Brewer's Malt, 2-Row, Premium (Great Wes Grain         1        76.1 %        
3 lbs 6.5 oz          Vienna Malt (3.5 SRM)                    Grain         2        19.0 %        
14.1 oz               Crystal 15, 2-Row, (Great Western) (15.0 Grain         3        4.9 %         
1.27 oz               Magnum [12.20 %] - Boil 60.0 min         Hop           4        29.4 IBUs     
0.90 oz               Cascade [4.10 %] - Boil 30.0 min         Hop           5        5.4 IBUs      
0.90 oz               Cascade [4.10 %] - Boil 15.0 min         Hop           6        3.5 IBUs      
0.45 oz               Cascade [4.10 %] - Boil 5.0 min          Hop           7        0.7 IBUs      
2.0 pkg               Nottingham (Danstar #-) [23.66 ml]       Yeast         8        -             

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Medium Body, Batch Sparge
Total Grain Weight: 17 lbs 14.8 oz
----------------------------
Name              Description                             Step Temperat Step Time     
Mash In           Add 22.91 qt of water at 169.3 F        152.0 F       60 min        

Sparge: Batch sparge with 2 steps (2.75gal, 6.32gal) of 168.0 F water
Notes:
------

Created with BeerSmith 2 - http://www.beersmith.com
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thadius Miller, Project Manager -> RaspberryPints

Before you build a keezer, look at this!
Chest Freezer Spec Sheets and Layout Drawings (15 models and counting)

Old 04-06-2013, 04:07 PM   #2763
Amesanite
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Brewed this last night. It was my first AG batch and my first time brewing. Wanted to jump right in. everything went great although I was pretty nervous with being very cautious with sanitation. Only missed the OG by 1 point so I'm feeling pretty great. I scaled the recipe down to 1.5 gallons and the only thing I changed was using US-05.The airlock came to life about 14 hours after pitching. Ferm is reading 64° in my basement.
Really excited to taste the results

Old 04-06-2013, 09:32 PM   #2764
fortyseven
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 6

I happened to have some extra malt and hops lying about so I decided to give this beer a try. Followed the recipe almost to a T except I didn't have any Vienna so I used Cara Pils instead. I'm a little disappointed that I only got an OG of 1.042 instead of 1.052 but it'll still be beer at the end of the day I suppose...

Old 04-07-2013, 07:28 PM   #2765
thadius856
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 529 Times on 245 Posts
Likes Given: 155

Came away from brew day with a terrible 61% efficiency pre-boil, bringing me 12 points low coming into the boil (1.031). Not sure how that happened.

Boiled an extra 28 minutes before starting the 60 minute timer so that I'd get to the pre-boil gravity BeerSmith predicted I should have been at (1.043). That brought me down half a gallon lower than planned (to 10.00 gal) of 1.051 into the fermenters, so I hit OG right on the nose.

I usually aim for 5.0-5.2 gallons into the keg, which coves the gas diptube, so force carbing takes a little less CO2. This time I'll probably come out at 4.8, so a little extra headspace to pressurize, but otherwise glad I recovered it.

Thadius Miller, Project Manager -> RaspberryPints

Before you build a keezer, look at this!
Chest Freezer Spec Sheets and Layout Drawings (15 models and counting)

Old 04-09-2013, 02:59 AM   #2766
Gaylord
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Just kegged it...tasted good just flat and warm obviously!

Drinking this weekend!

Old 04-09-2013, 03:27 AM   #2767
lowtones84
Recipes 

Liked 66 Times on 58 Posts
Likes Given: 166

I've done this recipe before and loved it. However, I was wondering if anybody has made this with pilsener malt as the base malt. I have pils in bulk right now, but was thinking perhaps I should get a few pounds of 2-row in there since the style is more of an APA.

Old 04-09-2013, 05:03 PM   #2768
chays99
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I'm going to brew this for the third time this weekend. But, I can't find Cascade locally. I have an ounce of Centennial, two ounces of Amarillo, a ton of Simcoe, and maybe half an ounce of Cascade. Any recommendations on an alternate hop schedule?

Old 04-09-2013, 08:42 PM   #2769
hogwash
Minimally Exceptional
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 52 Times on 43 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowtones84 View Post
I've done this recipe before and loved it. However, I was wondering if anybody has made this with pilsener malt as the base malt. I have pils in bulk right now, but was thinking perhaps I should get a few pounds of 2-row in there since the style is more of an APA.
I'd go for it with the pilsen, it shouldn't make much difference. Note that pilsen converts a little more easily so you may get a few extra points out of it. At least that's what always happens to me when I use it. FWIW, I just did an APA this past weekend with pilsen as my base malt, mostly because my LHBS was out of 2 row. Everything I've read on here says it makes very little difference taste-wise, it will be a little paler and you'll need to boil for 90 minutes if you believe in the DMS demons.

Old 04-09-2013, 09:20 PM   #2770
lowtones84
Recipes 

Liked 66 Times on 58 Posts
Likes Given: 166

Cool, thanks for the reassurance. I figured it would be fine. I may still opt for a couple of pounds of 2 row since I'll be picking up the other specialty grains as well but we shall see. I'm also going to be experimenting with a Centennial/ Mt. Hood hop combo. I'm sure it will be tasty anyhow!

Quick Reply