Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > American Ale > All-Grain - Bee Cave Brewery Haus Pale Ale

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-14-2013, 06:41 AM   #2661
lowtones84
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 70 Times on 62 Posts
Likes Given: 189

I don't think you'll be disappointed. Not that it's that long but I've been brewing for a little over two years and this recipe (with a very slight modification) is in my top 3 for sure. Hope it turns out well, enjoy!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-17-2013, 12:28 AM   #2662
Taco29wps
Recipes 

Default "yeasty" flavors from US-05

I used the US-05 instead of Notty. I also fermented at around 70. My fermenter fridge went tango uniform on me so 70 is all i get. I tasted the beer after 1 week when transferring to secondary... smelled great but (I guess the term is estery??) very yeasty flavor (same flavor at 10 days). I had the same issue when I used Wyeast 1056. Took about a month for the flavor to settle down. Does fermenting at the lower temps help alleviate that off flavor? I'm sure the beer will clean up with a little more time and be great but I really wanted to try to find a "fast" beer. Oh well. Still gonna be good beer.

Anyone have a yeast recommendation that will finish fast without the weird estery flavor, or is it the higher temps that caused it?

Thanks,

Taco

Old 01-17-2013, 01:11 PM   #2663
homebrewhaha
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco29wps View Post
I used the US-05 instead of Notty. I also fermented at around 70. My fermenter fridge went tango uniform on me so 70 is all i get. I tasted the beer after 1 week when transferring to secondary... smelled great but (I guess the term is estery??) very yeasty flavor (same flavor at 10 days). I had the same issue when I used Wyeast 1056. Took about a month for the flavor to settle down. Does fermenting at the lower temps help alleviate that off flavor? I'm sure the beer will clean up with a little more time and be great but I really wanted to try to find a "fast" beer. Oh well. Still gonna be good beer.

Anyone have a yeast recommendation that will finish fast without the weird estery flavor, or is it the higher temps that caused it?

Thanks,

Taco
I think most of what you're describing has to do with US-05 being a medium-low flocculating yeast, while Nottingham is known for being highly flocculant. I think that likely factored in to Edwort's decision-making process in designing this simple, quick recipe (choosing Nottingham).

With US-04, the yeast will remain in suspension in greater quantities for a longer period of time after fermentation is complete. So when you're tasting your beer there's going to be a strong yeasty flavor, which isn't great-tasting.

Nottingham has more of a tendency to fall out of suspension and settle after fermentation is complete. The first time I brewed with this yeast, I was amazed at how I could basically pour the entire beer out of a bottle because Notty sticks like glue to the bottom.

Cold crashing your fermentor after fermentation completes or just giving the finished beer a good long chill in the fridge should help drop out the yeast and you won't be eating it as much.

Old 01-18-2013, 01:59 AM   #2664
Taco29wps
Recipes 

I think I understand now. Thank you. I will try this beer again with the Notty and see how it goes. I appreciate your time.

Taco

Old 01-21-2013, 05:39 PM   #2665
MidniteFlyer
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

I'm a newbie with around 5 brews under my belt now. For my next brew, I want to try Edwarts Haus Pale Ale AG, 10 gallon batch (using Notty yeast).
I've never done a ten gallon batch before.

1. Is it as simple as just doubling the grain bill for this recipe?

2. I'm assuming the temperatures will all remain the same, but will the mash time stay the same also?

What else should I be aware of in converting this recipe to a 10 gallon batch?

Thanks!!

MF

Old 01-22-2013, 01:33 AM   #2666
ShinyBuddha
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Just double the hops, grains, and yeast. Mash and hop addition schedules remain the same. Be aware that is a lot of liquid. Very heavy...

Old 01-22-2013, 01:23 PM   #2667
homebrewhaha
Recipes 

Likes Given: 24

I brewed up a partial mash version of this beer with

4.25 lbs. Pilsen DME
2 lbs. Vienna
1.5 lbs. 2-Row Pale Malt
.5 lb. Crystal 10

Followed the hop schedule, pitched Nottingham.

The aroma is interesting. I get almost a sourdough bread character; in a good way though. Either my nose is off or that's how I'm interpreting the "biscuity" notes of the Vienna malt. Anyone else have that experience?

Great stuff, thanks EdWort! Clean, refreshing, malty, and crystal clear too.

Old 01-22-2013, 11:42 PM   #2668
reibrew
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 3

So I brewed this up on Saturday, BIAB method. Put 28L in the pot as I thought 30 would be pushing it, turns out it would have been okay. Ended up with 19L (5.0 Gallons) volume into the fermenter so my OG was slightly higher @ ~75% efficiency. Got a terrific hot break, stuck at 152, was my first almost perfect brew session!

Pitched s-05 and it took off after 12 hours, lots of stuff swirling around. Today it seems to have settled down, have about an inch of mostly white, thick krausen which is still bubbling a bit. Drew a sample and the gravity is at 1.011! I'm worried it'll keep going down or something

Really happy with how this has turned out.

Quick question - it's averaging about 14 degrees outside, could I cold crash for a couple hours outside or is that too cold? Also I plan on doing this in a couple weeks, don't worry

Old 01-23-2013, 12:39 AM   #2669
befus
Mr. Infecto
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Likes Given: 8

Brewing a version of this to go with my new kegging system. Will follow the original except to add one pound of Munich for one pound of Vienna as I like malt forward beer, and use Northern Brewer for the bittering (60 minute) hops due to current inventory. On the way from AHB as I write. Looking forward to getting it in the keg already!

Award winning:
Northern Brown Ale

"Guess I'll watch some TV, cuz it's nice to see people more messed up than me."

Primary:
Bottled: Wee Ain't Heavy (Wee Heavy);
Kegged: Brown Rhyno Old Ale (Rye Knot+ clone); Second Amendment Vanilla/Bourbon Porter; Pale Ale (a'la EdWort's Haus Pale);
On Deck: Northern Brown; Kolsch; Apricot wheat,

Old 01-23-2013, 01:27 AM   #2670
Brizzo
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I did this one back on 12/20 and it has been in the keg for 2 weeks. This beer has really become better, we'll rounded the longer it matures. I love the taste and aroma of the cascades the creamy mouth feel, it is a very good beer. I brewed the centennial blonde around the same time as i brewed this one and at first preferred the blonde to this one, but I now much prefer this one. I can see this as being a staple in my kegerator

Quick Reply