Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > American Ale > All-Grain - Bee Cave Brewery Haus Pale Ale

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-14-2012, 05:06 AM   #2601
andycr
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 40 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfinleyui View Post
Ended up adding DME until I got to 1.051, still hit my 5 gallon final volume. that'll be my last venture into all grain in a small apartment kitchen. partial mash all day, but i don't have room for any sort of efficient brewing at that volume. Bah.
Partial mash is good, I live in a one bedroom and do 2.5 gallon all-grain BIAB batches but that's about as far as I'll go. Anything 5 gallons is partial mash or extract. 2.5 gallons takes long enough to boil as it is on my apartment stove...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-14-2012, 05:44 AM   #2602
bfinleyui
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by andycr View Post
Partial mash is good, I live in a one bedroom and do 2.5 gallon all-grain BIAB batches but that's about as far as I'll go. Anything 5 gallons is partial mash or extract. 2.5 gallons takes long enough to boil as it is on my apartment stove...
yep. just thought i'd see how far i could push it, now I know Helpful to have a "stop" sign as far as how far to push towards craziness. This locks me in to a nice reasonably-sized, reasonable equipment needs, etc.

Thanks to everyone who's given advice as I've gotten through my first three brews. I feel pretty confident going ahead now, like I've had my trials and tribulations, seen that the beer turns out fine, and so the patience is now there, and i feel like this batch will turn out to be my best, and the next after will be the best, etc and so forth
Conditioning:
On Deck: DIPA w/Heady Topper Yeast, Winter Warmer, Imperial Red

Old 12-14-2012, 01:44 PM   #2603
LAbrewer
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahahb View Post
My efficiency is off for some reason. I'd like to blame the milling. The first couple of times I brewed all grain I was over 80%. Now that I get my stuff from BMW, it is lower. May be a connection there. I eeked a 1.049 out of this one.
Come on man... 0.002 off and you're complaining?

Old 12-17-2012, 01:10 AM   #2604
ShinyBuddha
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 5

EdWort. That link to brewmasterswarehouse.com doesn't work.

Old 12-17-2012, 04:29 AM   #2605
Brewcrew02
Recipes 

Liked 43 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 93

Used this as my pale ale base and couldn't be happier. Thanks to the man from just down the road from a fellow Austin brewer! Subbed in Falconer's and Northern Brewer. Almost an IPA, but I'm completely fine with that. New "Haus Pale"

"Gave my 500ml Pacman starter that I made last night a hug and wished it a good day before I headed off to work. He's growing up so fast!! Will be a 2liter starter by Saturday and will probably start ignoring me, think he knows it all and end up knocking up some skanky belgain strain before I know it." ~BigTerp

Old 12-17-2012, 11:25 PM   #2606
andycr
Recipes 

Liked 40 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Had to crack one of these open after only a week in the bottle, the suspense was killing me.

This was the first batch I finally had everything dialed in - water chemistry, ingredient supplier, BIAB methodology, fermentation methods, etc.

It has a nice, hoppy, bready aroma. The taste is clean, bready, slightly crisp biscuity saltine-cracker with a hint of honey. The hops are just smooth and clean.

It's just a great recipe. As far as pale ales go, it's what I'd describe as 'tame' - it doesn't get in your face and bludgeon you with a sack of cones, and the malt doesn't make as sweet and thick as some. As such, I'm less inclined to this style than I am to darker, hoppier APAs.

However, it tastes like something I would buy in a store. I wouldn't change anything about the recipe, and it will be fantastic to have around for friends. I can't imagine anyone guessing it's a homebrew recipe unless they were told.

Anyone on the fence: Just brew this. It's great. Thanks EdWort!

Next up: Murphy's Law

Old 12-18-2012, 01:12 AM   #2607
blefferd
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Tag

Beer and Kalashnikov since 2007

Old 12-18-2012, 10:14 PM   #2608
redfox97
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Making my second batch tomorrow. First batch was dyhopped with citra.Thsi batch I am Removing the 30 minute and adding .5 oz citra at 10 and 0, Also will dry hop with citra and maybe a little cascade. Guy at a homebrew shop I was talking to did a similiar malt bill and with this hop schedule and said it was great. Worth a try.

Old 12-19-2012, 02:31 AM   #2609
good11s
Recipes 

damnit now i have to make this one too.

Old 12-19-2012, 03:18 AM   #2610
Phisher
Recipes 

Just finished brewing this recipe for my first ever all-grain batch!

The biggest lesson I learned?- start earlier in the day. All grain takes a while longer... but man that mash tun smells awesome!

I'll report back when its time to test the first bottle.

Quick Reply