Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > American Ale > All-Grain - Bee Cave Brewery Haus Pale Ale

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-11-2012, 03:51 PM   #2581
hio3791
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSmith View Post
I agree that it's not normal. I have a batch made on 17-Sept (about 3 months) that is great or better than at two months.
The problem is that you need to drink the beer faster!

I brewed 10 gal in Aug and another 10 in Oct. All 20 gal are gone! This beer is delicious!
Old 12-11-2012, 04:00 PM   #2582
hio3791
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 22 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheelspin View Post
Brewed my frist all grain Hause Pale Ale in my recently completed HERMS system yesterday.

Everything went really well, but I have a few questions if anyone can help me.

1) The dough-in water specified is 11 liters. When I put 11 liters into the grains it barely made the the grains damp - landed up with about 16 liters.

2) My OG came out at 1,059, not the 1.050 as per recipe. This seems a little high ? Maybe I miss measured the grains which could explain the extra dough - in water required as well as the higher OG.

3) Finally, when it came to aerating the wort, the aquarium pump would not work so I shook the fermenter quite violently for about 5 minutes. Can I re-aerate the wort with a new aeration pu

mp tonight or will this result in off flavours ? It is bubbling away quite nicely as we speak but I'm scared that it will use up all the available oxygen too quickly and spot fermenting.

Any comment much appreciated.
Being your first AG on a new setup, you have a lot of variables that are difficult to determine. You will figure these variables out as you get a few more brews on your system.

1. Water - Could be system dependent. You can run the math but at the end of the day, your system is different than mine so our water additions will differ. 5 liters is a bit much of a difference though but I am not familiar with your MT so not enough information to fully answer. Could it be inaccurate volume measurements?

2. Efficiency - This is your first AG and you ended up 9 pts higher. Could be that you got great efficiency or perhaps your numbers were off (volumes and/or grains).

3. Aeration - Once yeast is pitched, do not re-aerate. You should be fine. I used to do the violent shake thing and never had problems.

Your beer should be fine so relax. Besides, your first AG was on a HERMS, you are already way ahead of me!

You got a lot going on for your first AG! It took me a while just to get water volumes down!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-11-2012, 04:18 PM   #2583
PaulD428
Recipes 

Brewed my first all grain version of this with a few differences:

Undershot the OG (was at about 1.046)
Single-hopped with Nelson Sauvin instead of cascade
S-05 instead of Notty

It tasted fairly light, and didn't have a ton of character (I figure I'll try it again with a higher gravity and see what happens now what I'm more familiar with my system). The nice thing was there wasn't a lot getting in the way of the NS hop flavor, which tasted fantastic. Will not argue with the quaffable statement.

Thanks for the recipe, Ed. I'm definitely interested in tinkering with this to make it a year-round brew at my place.

Old 12-11-2012, 05:12 PM   #2584
LAbrewer
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottvin View Post
SG - 1.050
FG - 1.012

It was drinkable but bland..
That's strange. I wonder if ferment temps may have caused that.

Old 12-11-2012, 07:17 PM   #2585
scottvin
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAbrewer View Post
That's strange. I wonder if ferment temps may have caused that.
Well, when I first had the bottled beer (about three weeks after bottling) - the hop flavor/aroma was very good.

It is very strange...

Old 12-12-2012, 06:06 AM   #2586
Wheelspin
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Thanks for comment HIO3791

It's on it's 3rd day now and bubbling every ± 25 seconds, so am hopeful.

Old 12-12-2012, 11:23 PM   #2587
Rahahb
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts

Thanks for the recipe. I'm brewing this right meow! 12/12/12.

Old 12-12-2012, 11:45 PM   #2588
andycr
Recipes 

Liked 40 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Went into bottles Sunday, tasting good from the hydrometer sample. Can't wait for this one to carb up.

Old 12-13-2012, 02:56 AM   #2589
zilch
Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottvin

Well, when I first had the bottled beer (about three weeks after bottling) - the hop flavor/aroma was very good.

It is very strange...
Did you keep the hop schedule the same as the recipe? Were you able to chill the wort or did you let it sit overnight to cool?

Or... Do you have a cold or allergies? My allergies flare up from time to time and I find my sense of smell to degrade quite a bit during that time.

Old 12-13-2012, 02:24 PM   #2590
scottvin
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 11 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by zilch View Post
Did you keep the hop schedule the same as the recipe? Were you able to chill the wort or did you let it sit overnight to cool?

Or... Do you have a cold or allergies? My allergies flare up from time to time and I find my sense of smell to degrade quite a bit during that time.
I used the recipe exactly as listed on the first page.
I chilled the wort with a plate chiller.

I do not have a cold or allergies.. it's very weird because when I first opened the beer, the aroma and flavor was great.

Quick Reply