Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > American Ale > All-Grain - Bee Cave Brewery Haus Pale Ale

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-27-2012, 04:15 PM   #2561
lunshbox
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by calebstringer
What difference would using two row make instead of pale ale malt, as the original recipe calls for?
It would have less of a malty, breadyness to it. Pale ale malt is typically more bready than regular 2 row brewers malt.
Kegged: Mill Worker's Breakfast Base
Planned: Pure-T Pale with Citra, G-Town Brown 2.1, Muddy Banks Irish Red
calebstringer Likes This 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-27-2012, 06:40 PM   #2562
DSmith
Recipes 

Liked 61 Times on 51 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by calebstringer View Post
What difference would using two row make instead of pale ale malt, as the original recipe calls for?
I think the original recipe calls for [American] 2-Row malt, not a pale ale malt since it's meant to be an economical beer.

The Vienna malt goes well with the [American] 2-Row malt IMO and might be harder to distinguish if the base malt was more "malty".

You might want to look at the CBYI Deschutes Mirror Pond for an APA with US pale ale malt.
Old 11-28-2012, 03:18 PM   #2563
paulster2626
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 324 Times on 217 Posts
Likes Given: 526

Bottled mine up last night. Got a massive haul out of this - 60 bottles! The hydro sample was so delicious that instead of getting those last ounces of beer in to a bottle at the end, I just drank it.

This is going to be for by bro-in-law's birthday, so it should be a success!

Old 11-30-2012, 01:22 AM   #2564
cublue
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jammin View Post

It's too much in my experience. Have you had consistent good results with that amount?
I use a carbonation calculator app on my phone. Match the style and amount of beer, gives the standard range of volumes. Calculates for corn sugar, table sugar (sucrose), or kegging pressure. I go for middle of the recommended road often. Remember add sugar by weight, not volume.

But either way, you'll get beer and learn something. Have fun, and welcome!

Old 11-30-2012, 01:48 PM   #2565
fireslayer
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I think i'm going to try this recipe with a combination of simcoe/amarillo. Anyone else used these hops for this recipe? If so how much and how did it turn out?

Old 12-03-2012, 06:00 PM   #2566
Willie3

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by calebstringer View Post
They are the similar if not the same. 2 Row Palt malt is a descriptor defining how the barley grows on the stalk ... in two rows. There is also six row, grown in six rows on the stalk. It has a higher diastatic power than two row, grown in North America and used in North American Pilsners along with other adjuncts such as rice and corn. It was developed back in the earlier days of North American Settlement in hopes to save money by being able to use less barley .

Pale Malt is pale malt. Malters as well as region and country make the difference, but pale is pale and is the basis for most beer.

Willie3

NJ HOPZ - North Jersey Homebrewers Organization of Praciticing Zymurgisits

FINAL GRAVITY PODCAST PERSONALITY

I brew therefor I am!

Old 12-03-2012, 10:54 PM   #2567
Temp81
Recipes 

Made two 5 gallon batches of this over the weekend. First one exactly how the recipe is put together for all grain. But the second one I used some simcoe hops that I had left over from another brew. I used an ounce total. Put in .5oz 60 min, .25oz 30 min, and .25oz at 10 min. We shall see how they turn out. Looking forward to these brews.

Primary: Helles Munich Lager, Primary: Bee Cave Haus Pale Ale x2
Secondary: My House Beer
Secondary: M/T
Bottled: Oatmeal Stout
Keg: My version of Graff (Malted Cider)
Keg: Oatmeal Stout

Old 12-05-2012, 09:07 PM   #2568
bfinleyui
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 44

This will be my first no-extract BIAB recipe, scaling it down to 3 gallons and rounding hops/fermentables to easier totals (don't have a scale yet), this is what I came up with from Brewers Friend:

Batch Size: 3 gallons
Boil Size: 4 gallons
Boil Time: 60 minutes
Efficiency: 65%

4.5 lbs American Pale 2-row
1 lb Vienna
0.5 lb Crystal 10L

.5 oz Cascade @ 60 minutes
.25 oz Cascade @ 30 minutes
.25 oz Cascade @ 15 minutes
.25 oz Cascade @ 5 minutes

Mash at 152, pitch rehydrated nottingham at 68.

Brewersfriend gives me the following numbers on it:

1.048 OG, 1.011 FG, 4.84 ABV, 43.59 IBU, 4.92 SRM

Am I missing anything in this conversion that shouldn't work, or someplace I should tweak? (Was thinking maybe a little more 10L, to get over 5 SRM, and into the American Pale Ale style?)

Conditioning:
On Deck: DIPA w/Heady Topper Yeast, Winter Warmer, Imperial Red

Old 12-06-2012, 02:18 AM   #2569
cublue
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Looks ok to me, roughly. You can either bump up the weight on the crystal, OR and what I would do is bump up the color of the crystal. Maybe go up to 40L? I also use brewers' friend, cause I am a budget brewer too, but I recommend a scale. It is as important as a good thermometer. You could also adjust the times a little, plus or minus to hit the ibu you are looking for...

But like I said your scaling doesn't look bad. I like to lean toward late addition hops, especially in pale apes, cause I LOVE that aroma!

Old 12-06-2012, 02:22 AM   #2570
bfinleyui
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by cublue View Post
Looks ok to me, roughly. You can either bump up the weight on the crystal, OR and what I would do is bump up the color of the crystal. Maybe go up to 40L? I also use brewers' friend, cause I am a budget brewer too, but I recommend a scale. It is as important as a good thermometer. You could also adjust the times a little, plus or minus to hit the ibu you are looking for...

But like I said your scaling doesn't look bad. I like to lean toward late addition hops, especially in pale apes, cause I LOVE that aroma!
Yeah, the scale is on my "hope I get it for Christmas otherwise I'm buying it for myself" list. But I need to squeeze one more brew in before Xmas.

Good idea on upping the color, i'll probably just bump the color to keep it down in the gravity range. Thanks for the response, i'll probably order tonight from wherever ends up the cheapest. Probably Austin, i want to grab some of their mystery hop dust for a smaller batch ipa later.
Conditioning:
On Deck: DIPA w/Heady Topper Yeast, Winter Warmer, Imperial Red

Quick Reply