Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > American Ale > All-Grain - Bee Cave Brewery Haus Pale Ale

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-09-2012, 11:47 AM   #2521
hio3791
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by pm5k00 View Post
well now we need tasting notes on both batches.
I did a side by side comparison. The US05 tastes more balanced and cleaner than the S04. I am no beer judge so I can't use fancy words. Both beers were tasty!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-09-2012, 11:54 AM   #2522
hio3791
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Brewed another 10 gal over the weekend. Mashed at 155F to counter the 1 lb of light brown sugar that I added with 15 min left in the boil. This time, I tweaked the hop schedule hoping to smooth out the bitterness a bit. I went with:

1oz Cascade FWH
1oz Cascade 60 min
1oz Cascade 10 min
1oz Cascade 0 min

OG was 1.056. Fermenting at 67F using US05.

Old 10-09-2012, 08:53 PM   #2523
rossi46
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 46 Times on 36 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by chemdoc

I've been thinking of trying this, also. Keep us updated as to how it turns out and how it compares to the "normal."
The wet hop brew got transferred to kegs. Carbed up a small sample, I think it is about the same, maybe a little less bitter. It's a winner either way.

Old 10-14-2012, 05:57 PM   #2524
chemdoc
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Just brewed this up yesterday. Decided to make a 2.5 gallon extract batch with fresh cascade hops. I'm back logged on "the drinking side" and only have IPA and a hazelnut brown at the moment. Had a rough brew day, but think all worked out well. Went with extract so that i could knock this one out quickly, but because of complications took almost as long as AG batch. I'm interested to see how the fresh hops compare.

Old 10-16-2012, 10:38 PM   #2525
iijakii
Recipes 

Liked 54 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 151

Made this last month with an ounce of centennial for bittering and then a pound of wet cascade at flameout/whirlpool. For some reason the hops have died out mostly since I kegged it - my first time using fresh, maybe something to do with that. But anyways, this dried out to one of the best pales I have ever had. The finish is dry and light, very quaffable and then the aftertaste hits you with a very pronounced bready flavor - love the Vienna ratio. Simple, effective.

Old 10-17-2012, 04:56 PM   #2526
jajao44
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Just brewed this Monday night BIAB hit the mash temp and OG perfect. I got up the next morning and it was fermenting great lots of bubbles. I get home and its bubbling even faster. I've never worried about my fermentation temps but I wanted to try a swamp cooler and see how big the difference would be. I took a temp and it was 82* inside the carboy wow!

I got a big round tub thing and got the temp down to 68* in a couple hours and bubbling slowed alot. I'm wondering if I should have had it in the swamp cooler from the beginning? I plan on doing it on all my brews from now on though temps were alot higher inside than I thought.

Old 10-18-2012, 06:55 AM   #2527
chemdoc
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

We are having a slight heat wave out here in California. Temps have been up in the mid-90s. Luckily, I put my fermenter in a swamp cooler after brewing this weekend. Unfortunately, I didn't install the blowoff tube and had foam coming out of the airlock on day two even with the cooler. I hate when that happens. Swamp cooler caught the mess, but now the water is all murky and gross.

Old 10-20-2012, 01:05 AM   #2528
garbageman
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Doing this again tomorrow. But using 3 oz of Galaxy and using BRY 97 yeast. Thought this would be a good grain base to try a new hop for me and yeast. Thanks to Matt at my LHBS for the hookup.

Old 10-20-2012, 01:14 AM   #2529
jammin
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 193 Times on 153 Posts
Likes Given: 129

Quote:
Originally Posted by garbageman View Post
Doing this again tomorrow. But using 3 oz of Galaxy and using BRY 97 yeast. Thought this would be a good grain base to try a new hop for me and yeast. Thanks to Matt at my LHBS for the hookup.
I would suggest using something other than Galaxy for the 60 minute. It can get a little harsh when added early in the boil. I'd even ne leary of using it at 30.
... jus' my 2 cents

cheers

Old 10-20-2012, 01:56 AM   #2530
garbageman
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jammin View Post
I would suggest using something other than Galaxy for the 60 minute. It can get a little harsh when added early in the boil. I'd even ne leary of using it at 30.
... jus' my 2 cents

cheers
Harsh as in bitter or over earthy/spicy?

Quick Reply