Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > American Ale > All-Grain - Bee Cave Brewery Haus Pale Ale

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-09-2011, 12:39 AM   #2161
EdWort
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 263 Times on 138 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeRoBrew1 View Post
For some reason I haven't gotten around to brewing this one yet. Thanks again, Ed! I entered the recipe in BrewSmith and for an American Pale Ale my SRM came in at only 4.6. The style is 5.4 - 14. Now I'm no stickler for being exactly to style. But has anyone bothered to maybe use Caramel 20L instead of 10L?
This was designed to be light in color, but I have used Crystal 15L without issue.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-09-2011, 10:07 AM   #2162
Shuznuts
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by n8dagr8

Hmm...hopefully it fades.

Just for my own knowledge, you hit your final gravity? I'm being lazy about taking a gravity ready and it sounds like you and I brewed close to the same batch.
I thought I replied but turns out I didn't. I ended up hitting 1.012. The fermentation was pretty robust. After one day, it bubbled out all the vodka in my airlock. Had to refill the bugger.

Old 12-09-2011, 12:14 PM   #2163
jtkratzer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 38 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I was expecting a vigorous fermentation with the amount of yeast I pitched from my volcanic starter, but it was very mild-mannered. The Franziskaner clone I brewed the previous week without a starter was much more intense. I'll look to keg it either Wednesday before I head to Montreal (10 days in primary) or when I get back on Saturday or Sunday (13-14 days).

Old 12-09-2011, 12:44 PM   #2164
jgourd
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeRoBrew1 View Post
For some reason I haven't gotten around to brewing this one yet. Thanks again, Ed! I entered the recipe in BrewSmith and for an American Pale Ale my SRM came in at only 4.6. The style is 5.4 - 14. Now I'm no stickler for being exactly to style. But has anyone bothered to maybe use Caramel 20L instead of 10L?
I've used carastan (about 37L) because it's what I had with no issues.

Old 12-09-2011, 01:37 PM   #2165
MikeRoBrew1
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 242

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sippin37 View Post
I had the exact same thought after I entered it into Beersmith. But I am still doing extract boils so I am sure my color will be darker than that.
Yeah my extract brews were always a lot darker. I never experimented with late extract additions though. Always tasted great, just a little dark. Doesn't bother me!

My brew blog:
http://www.mikerobrew.blogspot.com
Follow me on Twitter @WakeMikey

Old 12-09-2011, 01:39 PM   #2166
MikeRoBrew1
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 242

Thanks for the replies guys, and Thanks again EdWort for all your great contributions to the site. Made it up yesterday, looked great. A lot of pale ales appear pretty dark for me, considering the name! I'm fine with the color, was just curious.

My brew blog:
http://www.mikerobrew.blogspot.com
Follow me on Twitter @WakeMikey

Old 12-10-2011, 02:01 PM   #2167
n8dagr8
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shuznuts

I thought I replied but turns out I didn't. I ended up hitting 1.012. The fermentation was pretty robust. After one day, it bubbled out all the vodka in my airlock. Had to refill the bugger.
Thanks.

Yeah, I've been using blow off tubes since my second brew. Easier to clean up after.

Old 12-11-2011, 02:27 PM   #2168
Shuznuts
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts

So, funny story.

1 week in the bottle and I wanted to see if that yeasty taste I experienced at bottling was gone. Yesterday I finished the last of my fall DIPA off and cracked open a bottle of the Haus pale ale just to try. I couldn't taste ANYTHING! I guess the head cold I have is worse than I think. I was a little stuffy yesterday. The IPA I was drinking before the APA was definitely bitter, which seemed to dominate the flavor profile. But when I got to the APA....nothing. Maybe a little slight hop bitterness, but no delicate malt tones, no hop flavors, and definitely no yeastiness. The beer was amazingly clear. It "looked" really good. Just a little sad it had virtually no flavor. Well, this morning I have the worst sinus headache, sore throat, and my voice sounds is barely audible. I guess I am sick (which sucks), but I'll have to try this again when I can actually taste the beer, or anything for that matter.

Old 12-12-2011, 12:43 AM   #2169
Prymal
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I brewed 10 gallons of this recipe biab style. I ended up cutting 3.5 lbs of pale malt from the grain bill so that it would fit it all in my keggle. It worked out perfect though because I ended up with 81% efficiency and an OG of 1.056. Fermented between 62-64 for 5 days then raised up to 68 for 2 days. Took a gravity reading 1.011 so despite missing a good chunk of the grain bill I still hit 5.9% ABV. Thanks for the recipe, just tasting the sample it was amazing. I did sub 1 oz of Columbus for bittering and used a half ounce of cascade for flavor and aroma. Stupid lhbs being out cascade.

Desert Basin Brewery
Future Brews:
Fermenting: Desert Basin Pale Ale, Ninkasi Tricerihops Clone
Bottled: Desert Knight RIS, Scottish Winter Warmer
Kegged: Cleaning out the closet Porter
Gallons Brewed 2013: 15
Gallons Brewed 2012: 90.0
Gallons Brewed 2011: 77.5

Old 12-13-2011, 01:57 PM   #2170
shadows69
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Brewed on Sunday. Hit 1.051 added .5 of 6 row in the mix. Also, run out of cascade had to sub centennial for the last two hop schedules.

Quick Reply