Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > American Ale > All-Grain - Bee Cave Brewery Haus Pale Ale

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-29-2011, 02:12 PM   #1921
mrhahkey
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Ive got a batch in the keg right now Ive been drinking and its great as but Im looking for a small improvement. Ive used Nothingham on many batches and have found it leaves the brew a bit thin so to speak. I guess Im looking for a little better mouth feel.

As Ive said Im thinking its the Nothingham as Ive used it for an Irish Red that Ive brewed a number of times and it basically has the same "thin" mouth feel.

Im not sure if Im describing it right, any help or conformation that Im not just drunk from this tastey brew would be great?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-29-2011, 06:04 PM   #1922
Turlian
Recipes 

I did a batch for my sister-in-law's wedding this past weekend, slightly modified with an extra 1 oz of Citra (60) and WLP041 Pacific Ale yeast. It got rave reviews, and IMO was the best beer I've made so far. Can't wait to make it again so that I'll get to drink more than a glass or two.

Thanks, Ed!

Old 06-29-2011, 09:52 PM   #1923
SwampassJ
Recipes 

Liked 36 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 53

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrhahkey View Post
Ive got a batch in the keg right now Ive been drinking and its great as but Im looking for a small improvement. Ive used Nothingham on many batches and have found it leaves the brew a bit thin so to speak. I guess Im looking for a little better mouth feel.

As Ive said Im thinking its the Nothingham as Ive used it for an Irish Red that Ive brewed a number of times and it basically has the same "thin" mouth feel.

Im not sure if Im describing it right, any help or conformation that Im not just drunk from this tastey brew would be great?
That's why I don't use Nottingham, I don't like the extreme dryness it imparts. I know people say mash higher to compensate or use dextrine malt but why should I compensate for a yeast that doesn't suite my taste?

Try American Ale II or Thames Valley (more yeast character).

BLAH BLAH BLAH

Old 06-30-2011, 11:37 AM   #1924
mrhahkey
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwampassJ View Post
That's why I don't use Nottingham, I don't like the extreme dryness it imparts. I know people say mash higher to compensate or use dextrine malt but why should I compensate for a yeast that doesn't suite my taste?

Try American Ale II or Thames Valley (more yeast character).
I like the yeast suggestion for taste change but I think the dextrine malt is what you would use to change the body characteristics, correct?

Old 06-30-2011, 10:03 PM   #1925
SwampassJ
Recipes 

Quote:
I like the yeast suggestion for taste chage but I think the dextrine malt is what you would use to change the body characteristics, correct?
Yeast attenuation plays a huge part in mouthfeel too. Nottingham which is a strong fermenter might take the beer down to 1.008 range where as something like American Ale II might stop at 1.012 or Thames Valley that might stop at 1.014-1.016 range. Then again they don't always attenuate the same every time.

BLAH BLAH BLAH

Old 07-01-2011, 11:01 AM   #1926
mrhahkey
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Yeast attenuation plays a huge part in mouthfeel too. Nottingham which is a strong fermenter might take the beer down to 1.008 range where as something like American Ale II might stop at 1.012 or Thames Valley that might stop at 1.014-1.016 range. Then again they don't always attenuate the same every time.
To be clear swamp, you've brewed a batch of this recipe using a diff yeast strain? How did it turn out?

Old 07-01-2011, 11:10 AM   #1927
SwampassJ
Recipes 

Quote:
To be clear swamp, you've brewed a batch of this recipe using a diff yeast strain? How did it turn out?
Yes I used the grainbill but used nugget hops hop bursted for 35ibu with Wyeast 1272 and the yeast character is there. It's a little tart but it finishes very clean with only a slight citrus fruit when it warms up. Next time I brew this grainbill I want to try out European Ale yeast to see if I can get a little more malt flavor out of this simple yet awesome grainbill instead of going for my hopped up version.

BLAH BLAH BLAH

Old 07-01-2011, 01:29 PM   #1928
mrhahkey
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Yes I used the grainbill but used nugget hops hop bursted for 35ibu with Wyeast 1272 and the yeast character is there. It's a little tart but it finishes very clean with only a slight citrus fruit when it warms up. Next time I brew this grainbill I want to try out European Ale yeast to see if I can get a little more malt flavor out of this simple yet awesome grainbill instead of going for my hopped up version.
I do like this grain bill and Ive read almost all of the posts Ed wrote. The Nottingham was used to keep the price down and simplicity up for an easy everyday brew, but I dont think Im going to use the Nottingham again. Ill keep the hops the same as it is very palletable to most. Thanks for the input Im going to brew this over the holiday break, Ill let you know how it turns out.

Old 07-01-2011, 04:10 PM   #1929
Breck09
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Would dry hopping this with Cascade as well be good? How much if so?

Old 07-01-2011, 06:24 PM   #1930
platypotamus
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I've got some fresh-harvested French Saison yeast that I'm considering tossing into a batch of this, just for the hell of it. why not?

Quick Reply