Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > American Ale > All-Grain - Bee Cave Brewery Haus Pale Ale

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-22-2010, 02:29 AM   #1651
pstrohs
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Just bought all the ingredients for this beer and the cascade hops that I purchased had an AA% of 5, which only put me at 29 IBUs. I had some Mt. Hood laying around so I changed the hop schedule to this:

1.5oz Cascade 5% 60 min
.5oz Cascade 5% 30 min
.25oz Mt. Hood 5.2% 15 min
.25oz Mt. Hood 5.5% 5 min

This schedule gives me 38 IBUs. What do you guys think?

"Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right"

Keezer Build

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-23-2010, 01:30 PM   #1652
Diesel48
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Had this last night for the first time off my keg. I thought it would have been a lot hoppier. Not even close to my IPA. This beer also tasted quite a bit sweeter than I thought it would have. Sure would be nice to compare it to someone else's batch so I know If I am there or not.

Old 12-23-2010, 01:47 PM   #1653
D0ug
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel48 View Post
Had this last night for the first time off my keg. I thought it would have been a lot hoppier. Not even close to my IPA. This beer also tasted quite a bit sweeter than I thought it would have. Sure would be nice to compare it to someone else's batch so I know If I am there or not.
Well, it's a pale ale, so it shouldn't be quite as hoppy as an IPA right?

As far as sweetness, what was your FG? mine was around 1.018, which is a little high, but didn't seem too sweet.

dunno...
Drinking 'merc

Old 12-23-2010, 01:49 PM   #1654
Diesel48
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Good to know it should not be like an IPA. For some reason I thought an APA would have a bit of hop character to it as well. It finished off at 1.012 so I did not expect sweetness as well. Maybe that is not the flavor I am tasting.

Old 12-23-2010, 02:53 PM   #1655
DrSanta
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

I went 100% Amaraillo Hops with mine. The transformation of the beer from a week one bottle conditioned sample to a one month sample is mind blowing.

One week in and it was all citrus and grapefruity. Almost to a fault if you weren't expecting it. Two weeks in it was perfect for a session beer that you could drink all day. In fact my friends and I almost drank the entire batch in a weekend of board gaming. We named the beer Cosmic Encounter.

Now at four weeks the beer has taken on a level of bitterness that overshadows the citrus elements. I think I like the fresher beer more. As a fan of Belgians.. this seems backwards to me!

I think I'm going to add a bit more maltiness to my next batch. Step it up a bit at a time and refine this thing to my liking over the next year. Loving it.

Old 12-23-2010, 03:34 PM   #1656
IPAAAA
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 1 Posts

Not sure what happened to mine. Had a funky smell when I went to keg it and now after being kegged it just doesn't have much of a flavor at all...really weird even though I hit my numbers pretty well.

Old 12-23-2010, 06:27 PM   #1657
jamie3
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Did you adjust the recipe based on the aaus of your hops? I've made this several times and I typically up the hops by an ounce to reach a more hoppy apa

Old 12-23-2010, 07:35 PM   #1658
Diesel48
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I did adjust the Hop adjustments based on the AAU's. I have family coming over for Christmas tonight and will have a little tasting session. Curious to see if they come up with the same conclusion. All of my numbers were really good. The only thing possible in question would be my digital thermometer. I tested it in ice water and it was on. Asked for a thermapen for Christmas. Maybe its not sweetness I am tasting but the cascade hops.

Old 12-23-2010, 08:20 PM   #1659
jamie3
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
I did adjust the Hop adjustments based on the AAU's. I have family coming over for Christmas tonight and will have a little tasting session. Curious to see if they come up with the same conclusion. All of my numbers were really good. The only thing possible in question would be my digital thermometer. I tested it in ice water and it was on. Asked for a thermapen for Christmas. Maybe its not sweetness I am tasting but the cascade hops.

I also find this recipe tastes much better after 6 weeks of conditioning. I just made a batch recently and stuck to the recipe and it is a bit sweet for me. It likely will mellow out over the next few weeks

Old 12-24-2010, 11:31 PM   #1660
Fritobandito
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 2

So looking at the instructions for this it says after 60 minutes add 5 quarts of 175 degree water. Do I just pour this on top and vorlauf, or should I be adding it,stirring it and letting it sit for 10 minutes, then drain?

Quick Reply