Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > American Ale > All-Grain - Bee Cave Brewery Haus Pale Ale

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-21-2010, 01:56 PM   #1601
Centexbear
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Brewed this up yesterday. Went very smooth..hit target OG on the money. Airlock action within 8 hours.

Question about bottling: I read a lot and searched but never find a definitive answer about how long in the primary, secondary, and how long conditioning in the bottle.

I think I had settled on 3 weeks in primary, no secondary and 3 weeks in the bottle. I did use a gelatin for the very first time in another brew just last week so I could do a week in 2ndary with gelatin to clear the beer out nicely if necessary or advisable.

Ed's kegging/crash cooling instructions confused me as a bottler....I've never kegged so I don't know how to handle the process if you bottle.

Ed says 10 days to ferment...should I just bottle after 10 days and bottle condition for 3 weeks or a little longer in primary since I'm not cold crashing like in kegging? (can't cold crash right since I still need some yeast alive for bottle carbination right??).

Thank you for the recipe Ed and anyone for any advice you can provide to a newbie!

Jeff

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-23-2010, 03:28 PM   #1602
ericw
Recipes 

I have a batch of this in bottles now that I made a few weeks ago. It was my 2nd time using this recipe. I followed the instructions the first time, but this recent batch I used Amarillo hops for the last 2 hop additions. The little bit I had in the tester tasted good, but it's hard to get a feel for it when it's flat and warm.

Old 11-23-2010, 03:30 PM   #1603
DrSanta
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

If I were to use Extra Light DME to prime this for bottle conditioning, how much should I use / have you used?

Old 11-25-2010, 06:52 PM   #1604
EdWort
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 273 Times on 141 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Centexbear View Post
I think I had settled on 3 weeks in primary, no secondary and 3 weeks in the bottle.
For bottler's this is fine.

Actually, for keggers, 3 weeks in a primary is optimal as the yeasties have plenty of time to clean up after themselves.

Old 11-26-2010, 03:06 PM   #1605
a_w_taylor
Recipes 

I will be attempting this today as my first AG! I am totally psyched!

It's cold, tasty and I made it.

Old 11-26-2010, 08:39 PM   #1606
a_w_taylor
Recipes 

80.1% efficiency - some how I ended up with around 7 gallons pre-boil. Post boil my gravity was 1.058 - I look forward to some tasty beer with a little more kick than planned!

Thanks for sharing Ed! I am now on board with AG and will be looking to Santa for a larger kettle and mash tun for some bigger AG brews!

It's cold, tasty and I made it.

Old 11-27-2010, 11:14 AM   #1607
Cerevisi
Recipes 

I used the same malt bill and and roughly the hopping schedule of the Kona clone (added 1 oz Cent bitter and 1.5 oz dry hop) and i have made a winner of a Haus-brau! it's so delicious and genius brew. the difference maker for APA and IPA hybrid. Actually my favorite AG brew thusfar!

Old 11-29-2010, 10:26 PM   #1608
Beernewb
Recipes 

Likes Given: 2

Default Epic Pale Ale Fail? or not...

tried this recipe, thanks Ed.
Encountered my first stuck sparge, what a fiasco. I tried tapping on the interior valve, line and mash screen in an effort to get the blockage to release, and the nut that was holding the mash screen to the top of the apparatus fell off. Luckily, since I used two pots to heat my sparge water (5 quarts and 3.5 gallons), I had an extra empty cooler. I dumped my mash into the second cooler, fished out the parts, put my msh tun back together when my neightbor pops over to chat and show me pictures of his nephews brewery. I put the grains back in as I was talking to him, trying to save the batch, but being distracted, I didnt clear the line, which was obviosly full of brain by now. So back into the other cooler, and I took a garden hose to the line. Now back into the mash tun and voila, I have my first runnings. It gets better. Vorlauf, empty the tun and head into the house to bring out the second pot of water. I return to find my wort running on the ground becuase I LEFT MY KETTLE OPEN..I always open the valve after cleaning to air dry everything, but in my rushing around to try and save this beer, I never looked. I only lost about two qts from what i could tell. So I boil, add my hops in the specified times, cool down and pitch the yeast. MY OG was 1.052, probably b/c my batch is a bit light on volume, but I usually get great efficiency both batch sparging lower gravity beers and fly sparging my beers over 1.060. My carboy showed activity in 6 hours, but I never got a huge krausen, maybe an inch or so. I checked on it this morning, still bubbling away (48 hours), but the krausen completely dropped out. I never use dry yeast, but is this normal? Still have hope for this one based on the OG-I'll take a gravity reading in a few days.

Old 11-29-2010, 10:32 PM   #1609
Beernewb
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdWort View Post
For bottler's this is fine.

Actually, for keggers, 3 weeks in a primary is optimal as the yeasties have plenty of time to clean up after themselves.
I am a bottler who doesnt crash cool. How long would you crash cool and at what temps?
do you bring the beer back to room temp to prime? I've always heard you need to add yeast at bottling if you crash cool.

Old 11-29-2010, 11:13 PM   #1610
cheesecake
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 27 Posts

brewed 5 gallons of this on saturday...cant wait

Quick Reply