Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > American Ale > All-Grain - Bee Cave Brewery Haus Pale Ale

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-30-2010, 11:51 PM   #1581
Toecutter
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 6 Posts

i ready to try this one again tomorrow,except i have added 1/2 lb of aromatic malt, and i may use Columbus for bittering. I screwed up my 1st batch and it went sour. so well give this a whirl again.

On Tap: Belgian Orange Crystalweizen, Toecutters Honey HPA

Fermenting: Belgian Orange Crystalweizen

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-31-2010, 04:23 PM   #1582
philrose
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 21

The last can you brew it I listened to featured a similar beer, only big difference was a little crystal 20 and a dry hop. Never tried the beer (cardinal pale ale) but it inspired me to whip up some of ed's classic.

Planning- Witbier

@philthebrewer

Old 11-01-2010, 02:49 AM   #1583
Diesel48
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Brewed this on Saturday. Just checked the carboy, most violent fermentation I have seen yet! Good thing I am using a blow off tube.

Old 11-04-2010, 01:40 PM   #1584
fezzman
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hefeluver View Post
i ready to try this one again tomorrow,except i have added 1/2 lb of aromatic malt, and i may use Columbus for bittering. I screwed up my 1st batch and it went sour. so well give this a whirl again.
My first attempt at this recipe was also slightly sour. Everything else about it was fine...and it was still quite drinkable despite being sour. I entered it into competition because I wanted feedback. The judges said that it may have been mashed too long.

I'm sitting here now giving it another try...sorta. The grain bill is exact but I am using all Palisade hops this time.

I've never used them before and figured this recipe was the one to test with. They have a pretty unique aroma and at 8.1 alpha they should work fine for bittering. I've read mixed reviews so I am curious to see how this turns out.

I've got:
1oz @60
.75 @10
.5 @ 0

41 IBU

Old 11-04-2010, 05:47 PM   #1585
smata67
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by dummkauf View Post
Just brewed this one up today, and it was a good day, first time I hit all my numbers dead on during an AG brew

BeerSmith predicted 22 IBU's for this one for me as well, however BeerSmith also specifies a 20-40 IBU range for an American Pale Ale, which this falls under. I'm guessing this won't be a particularly bitter beer, but I also don't think it is supposed to be either.

And assuming this one ferments down to BeerSmith's predicted gravity, mine will be at 5.79% ABV

Anyway, after all the responses to this recipe, I am very excited for this one to be ready to drink!
Actually, 30-45 IBUs are the pale ale range:

http://www.bjcp.org/2008styles/style10.php

I'm going to be doing some late extract addition and perhaps add .25 oz perle at 60 minutes to get it above 30. I'm doing the partial mash recipe from Brewmasterwarehouse.

Old 11-05-2010, 03:35 AM   #1586
Toecutter
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fezzman View Post
My first attempt at this recipe was also slightly sour. Everything else about it was fine...and it was still quite drinkable despite being sour. I entered it into competition because I wanted feedback. The judges said that it may have been mashed too long.

I'm sitting here now giving it another try...sorta. The grain bill is exact but I am using all Palisade hops this time.

I've never used them before and figured this recipe was the one to test with. They have a pretty unique aroma and at 8.1 alpha they should work fine for bittering. I've read mixed reviews so I am curious to see how this turns out.

I've got:
1oz @60
.75 @10
.5 @ 0

41 IBU
I brewed this sunday as described, used 1/2 oz Columbus at 60 min, and finished off with Centennial. he Nottingham kicked off at 12 hours and bubbled violently for 3 days, stopping today. will crash chill, filter, and keg sunday or monday

Old 11-10-2010, 12:54 AM   #1587
chrislehr
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 9

I made this with +.5lb of 10L Crystal and +.5 Cascade @ 60 with WLP007 Dry English Ale, and am looking forward to trying it

Old 11-11-2010, 02:18 AM   #1588
Toecutter
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

ok, I crash cooled overnight and just finished filtering and kegging. beer looked good and finished out at 1.010. tested a sample, a little bitter,but thats the Columbus Hopps. I'm force carbing for a couple of days. with any luck I'll be sipping this on thanksgiving while i watch the turkey turn on the spit

Old 11-12-2010, 03:40 AM   #1589
IPAAAA
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 1 Posts

The 8 lbs. 2-Row Pale Malt in this is just regular american 2-row right or is it Pale Malt, Maris Otter or something like that?

Old 11-12-2010, 05:43 AM   #1590
philrose
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by IPAAAA View Post
The 8 lbs. 2-Row Pale Malt in this is just regular american 2-row right or is it Pale Malt, Maris Otter or something like that?
You have a little flexibility there. I like Great Western's northwest pale malt myself, Just a little toastier than a typical base grain. Just my opinion, the standard base grain made great beer too, I (barely) remember blowing a keg made with domestic 2 row tailgating at a seahawks game last year. It was the darling of the parking lot.
Planning- Witbier

@philthebrewer

Quick Reply