American Pale Ale Bee Cave Brewery Haus Pale Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Finally cooled down so I hit it hard today. Two 20 gallon batches,

Brewed a Wheat Beer today, with 30 lbs. wheat and 16 lbs two-row, SF06 and Hallertau.

Cleaned up and then did 20 gallons of an Eddie Fitz Clone

Browsing recipes for a Pale for the "what's next", and I've brewed this several times before. Just can't pass on a good thing! Bee Cave Haus Ale is so damn good. Risk averse to trying something else!

Please keep us posted on how this turns out.
And here it is: I brewed it on August 11, kegged it by August 22. It went from OG 1.047 all the way down to 1.007.

Just poured myself one after 9 days of pressurizing:

AE8-B09-AB-9068-4-ECC-A4-D3-9-BAEB6-D50-E29.jpg

But the aftertaste is very bitter. I’m not sure where this is coming from. I have cold sparged and paid good attention to the crush and hygiene. Could it be that some yeast is still in suspension and therefore comes out of my keg now first? It appeared clearer when kegging but as you can see from the picture it isn’t very clear.

View the fermentation logged with my Tilt on Brewfather if you’re interested: https://web.brewfather.app/#/share/oFSDxKF5iFBBrs

I brewed this a few weeks ago with the same grain bill, but I changed up the hop additions to 60 min, whirlpool, and a dry hop charge. I bottled after 2 weeks instead of my standard 3 weeks in the FV. It must not have been entirely done as the bottles are a bit over-carbed at 8 days in.

Other than that, I am a huge fan of this beer. The color is a bit on the light side but I don’t even care because it tastes so great.

IMG_3772.JPG

Little bit of thread necromancy, since I just brewed this today! It's a milestone beer for me in a few ways -- my first all-grain "full-sized" 19 liter batch, and my first brew on my new all-in-one system (the Arsegan Easybrew-30 Plus from Braumarkt here in Europe). Super excited to see how this beer comes out in a few weeks, as the brewday went pretty flawlessly. Had to dial in the mash a bit to match my system (thanks to Beersmith this was easy enough). Beersmith calculated an OG of 1.052, and I measured at 1.050, so I'd call that a close enough success!

Also had to tweak the recipe a bit to meet local ingredients, and an apparent Cascade shortage at my online shop of choice meant I switched over to Amarillo. Anyone else swapped out the Cascade for Amarillo in this recipe?

All quantities are identical to the original recipe, except the hops which I had to tweak a tiny bit due to the AA of the Amarillo I bought:

Pale ale malt
Vienna malt
Weyermann CaraHell

Amarillo

Lallemand Nottingham Ale

Trip report:
axLjOto.jpg

Kept this in primary for 18 days (cold crashed for a day at 3.5 degrees C) before transferring to my brand-new kegging setup yesterday evening. Tried burst carbing at 2 bar for around 24 hours using the "shake it a decent amount at the time of kegging, then occasionally give it a shake inside the keezer" method, then dialed back to 1 bar just now and pulled a sample glassful for serving at about 6.5 C.

Cold crashing seems to have done nothing for the clarity unfortunately, but maybe that's more an artifact of my shake-the-keg-occasionally method of burst carbonation.

Lotta potential in this beer! It tastes -extremely- green to me right now though (very grainy with some green apple, probably from some oxidization unfortunately), so I'm really looking forward to seeing how it develops over the next week or two. Beyond that I can already tell the hop/malt balance is pretty on point for what I'd expect out of a quaffable, approachable APA.

Cheers!

Another trip report on the beer I posted about above.

So that really harsh green apple flavor stuck around for a good while. I decided to dial my Inkbird back up to 20 degrees Celsius in the hope that the yeast left in suspension would help clean it up a bit, and left it at that temp for a little over two weeks. Then I dialled it back down to serving temperature, pulled a sample on the 26th of March, and ... was still disappointed. The very grainy taste had cleaned up considerably, but the green apple was still very strong. Color-wise, the two extra weeks of conditioning really did good things at least... it's lightened/coppered up a little bit since the image above and is a fair bit clearer.

Then, on a whim, I pulled another sample on the 30th of March. And ended up drinking 8 glasses of it. I was astounded at the difference just those four days made. The green apple taste is just barely there now, and I can finally taste the beer for what it's supposed to be. Since then I've powered my way through this keg, and I'm sad that there's not much left! So on the whole, it took about 6 weeks from brew day for this to really turn out good, but better late than never!

EXTREMELY quaffable beer, and I'm excited to give this one a second go in a month or two! Next time I'm going to try it with US-05 instead of Nottingham... it seems like every time I've used Nottingham I've had issues with off-flavors (that sometimes clean up, like in this case, and sometimes don't), whereas I've never once had a beer brewed with US-05 that turned out poorly.

Brewing up a half batch of this tomorrow. I have enough grain to do a full, but I'm not comfortable lifting a ~40-lb bucket of brew on account of a lingering injury. Haven't brewed since February, lookin forward to getting after it.

Just getting back into brewing beer; figured I'd practice with this recipe. I got a lot of grain into my wort; not sure if that is my gear or the way the grains were milled. That's never happened to me before so I'll be interested to see what happens.

Just getting back into brewing beer; figured I'd practice with this recipe. I got a lot of grain into my wort; not sure if that is my gear or the way the grains were milled. That's never happened to me before so I'll be interested to see what happens.
I brewed my half batch on Sunday, and it too was a bit chunky. Figured I maybe didn't vorlauf long enough or let it settle out enough before.

Brewed this back on 7/1. Modified the hop schedule and did a dryhop and really enjoy how it's turned out. Carbed and transferred to kegs last night, think this may become a haus beer for me. Will know more in a couple of weeks!

Johnny Wedding Ale_1.jpg
Johnny Wedding Ale_2.jpg

I brewed a modified version of this beer about 2.5 weeks. Basically the same grain bill but I hopped with some Centennial, Cascade, and Amarillo that I had around. Its turned out great! Even though it's young, it's drinking pretty well already. I imagine this keg will go quick!

This was the first batch on my “new to me” 15 gallon Spike Trio system. Still dialing it in, but this one turned out nice for a first batch. Still a bit under carb’d and will clear after a few more pours. Tastes great!
6DE4D7DF-BABD-4FEE-A8ED-F197D5858150.jpeg

Been wanting to brew this one for a long long time and I'm brewing it right now! I'm making it for our 10 year wedding anniversary party next month since it seems to be a crowd pleaser. Thanks for the recipe! I'll let you know how it turns out! 🤙

Brewed this one on my last brew day and I must say it's a great beer. Almost like a SNPA but a little different. I will be playing around with this recipe, thanks for sharing!

Brewed this beer about a month ago.

Quite possibly my best batch to date. My efficiency has been brutal lately on my Foundry so it clocked in at 4.5% ABV but I ain't even mad. Delicious.

Attachments

• 20221111_170335.jpg
    20221111_170335.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
hause pale ale grain to glass 13 days it is getting better every day i am learning patience , longer it sits the better it gets 14-21 days is best beer. i apprecite all of you guys help when needed . mighty fine brew. 5 gallons in keg another 5 gallons in fermenter waiting 14 days then force carb 20 psi for 2 days then serving pressure after that hit 1.060 with the one in fermenter may take longer cheers:)

Made this one for the first time back on 2/20/23.

I've been experimenting with lower mash-in temps (mid 140's) lately and this recipe almost finished at 6% ABV! :bigmug:

I can tell already it's gonna be a goto recipe for me! (why did I wait so long to brew this?!) 🤣

Thank you EdWort!
😎

Latest posts

Back