Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > American Ale > All-Grain - Bee Cave Brewery Haus Pale Ale

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-14-2010, 05:56 PM   #1481
MilwaukeeBrewGuy
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

did you take any hydrometer readings?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-16-2010, 04:25 AM   #1482
wildwest450
Recipes 

Liked 166 Times on 151 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Try dry hopping it. It will only add aroma, but your nose can fool your tastebuds.

Old 05-16-2010, 05:33 AM   #1483
Cart
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

A week in the bottle and carbed up reasonably. Awesome, and SWMBO really likes it, so score, more support for the hobby, not to mention another convert. Another week to fully carb and mellow a bit and it should be fantastic.

Old 05-16-2010, 10:41 PM   #1484
Razorbrew
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Jumped in.

I brewed an 8 gallon batch yesterday! My first AG. I put 4 gallons in a corny key to ferment using the Notty yeast, and the remainder in a 5 gallon carboy to ferment using some washed WLP 530 (trappist yeast). Should be an interesting comparison.

I hit an OG of 1.049, a little lower than what the recipe calls for but not bad for my first AG. I'll let you know how it turns out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razorbrew View Post
I think I will be using this to jump into all grain. Very soon!

Razorbrew! Go Hogs!

Old 05-20-2010, 04:10 PM   #1485
bafroom
Recipes 

well, used this to brew my first AG last night. i screwed up the sparge (actually 2 since i was working with a zapap lauter tun) by not letting it sit long enough. i did manage to keep my temps pretty right (i think they got a little high for the first 10 min...had my thermometer in a cold spot, i guess) even still i got a og of 1.058, so we'll see how it goes!

btw, using my oven to hold the mash temps in my boil kettle kind of sucked. i think i need to scrounge up a cooler.

edit: i figured out my efficiency, which was 84%. not bad for my first time! though, i guess we'll see how it tastes!

Last edited by bafroom; 05-20-2010 at 06:34 PM.

Old 05-20-2010, 06:45 PM   #1486
smakudwn
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 51 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 8

I just kegged a batch of this and i messed up the mash temp because i didn't preheat my mash tun. mashed at 148. On top of that i think i had a bad batch of notty cause it took a while to start off. Well the beer is good but my question is, this seems to be a grapefruit bomb. is that normal? or does the flavor seem more intense because of the mash temp?

Old 05-21-2010, 03:46 AM   #1487
Redbeard5289
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Has anyone gotten a really strong yeasty taste from using nottingham yeast with this recipe?

The reason I asked is that I made this brew without any problems with a partial mash recipe, even hit my OG. Fermentation didn't get really active till about 48-60 hours after I pitched the Notty yeast. (I think my pack was getting old). Left the beer sit in the primary for 8 days then bottled it with about 5 oz corn sugar. Got about a 1/2 bottle to sample from what was left after bottling. The sample was really great considering it hadn't carbed up. Let the brew bottle condition for 2 weeks in the dark closet at 63-65ºF. I put a couple in the fridge this am and my neighbor and I sampled the finished product tonight after work.
I was hoping it was my head-cold that was playing havok with my tastebuds when I sampled it tonight but my neighbor confirmed my disappointment. The beer was a beautiful golden color, a bit hazy (not quite sure why, either yeast or perhaps starch haze), very good head retention. But the taste was rather yeasty, almost bready and was very dominate. Could taste some bitterness on the back end but couldn't identify is clearly. Decent mouthfeel. Definately a difference taste than what I has sampled at bottling. What I sampled at bottling time was light, very balance taste of the vienna malt and the cascade hops.

So my questions are, Does the Nottingham yeast have a strong taste presences for lighter beers when you use it? Am I getting this weird yeasty taste because the notty yeast pack I used was old or did I get an infection? (believe the expiration date on the notty pack was aug or sept 2010)
Is this batch worth saving and hoping it gets better with time?

Thanks for the help.
Redbeard5289

Old 05-21-2010, 04:11 AM   #1488
jamesnsw
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Just drank the last bottle of this that I've been saving for over a year. Beautifully clear, best looking beer of my own I've ever poured. Should have taken a picture. It's aged well, but the hops have faded enough that I'm glad I have a new pale in the pipeline.

Some stuff I've made: Odell's 90 Shilling Clone, Abbey Weiss Pottsville Common, Simple Mead, Dry Dock Apricot Blonde Clone, Rye IPA, Maibock, Scrapper's Quaffable Irish Red, Short Sleep Blueberry Ale, Lazy Magnolia Pecan Nut Brown Ale Clone, Graff, Apfelwein, Cascades Orange Pale, Orfy's Mild Ale, Vagabond Gingered Ale
What to Brew for iOS (free)

Old 05-21-2010, 11:57 PM   #1489
Jughead
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redbeard5289 View Post
Has anyone gotten a really strong yeasty taste from using nottingham yeast with this recipe?

The reason I asked is that I made this brew without any problems with a partial mash recipe, even hit my OG. Fermentation didn't get really active till about 48-60 hours after I pitched the Notty yeast. (I think my pack was getting old). Left the beer sit in the primary for 8 days then bottled it with about 5 oz corn sugar. Got about a 1/2 bottle to sample from what was left after bottling. The sample was really great considering it hadn't carbed up. Let the brew bottle condition for 2 weeks in the dark closet at 63-65ºF. I put a couple in the fridge this am and my neighbor and I sampled the finished product tonight after work.
I was hoping it was my head-cold that was playing havok with my tastebuds when I sampled it tonight but my neighbor confirmed my disappointment. The beer was a beautiful golden color, a bit hazy (not quite sure why, either yeast or perhaps starch haze), very good head retention. But the taste was rather yeasty, almost bready and was very dominate. Could taste some bitterness on the back end but couldn't identify is clearly. Decent mouthfeel. Definately a difference taste than what I has sampled at bottling. What I sampled at bottling time was light, very balance taste of the vienna malt and the cascade hops.

So my questions are, Does the Nottingham yeast have a strong taste presences for lighter beers when you use it? Am I getting this weird yeasty taste because the notty yeast pack I used was old or did I get an infection? (believe the expiration date on the notty pack was aug or sept 2010)
Is this batch worth saving and hoping it gets better with time?

Thanks for the help.
Redbeard5289

IMHO in only 8 days of fermentation you didn't get a lot of yeast settling out of this. Did you cold crash it before bottling? I think it's more the amount of yeast left in the beer, not the strain. I usually get a clean taste out of knotty. But could be wrong, next time if you only use a primary leave it closer to 14 days and cold crash it before bottling and I bet it will be a lot cleaner. ALWAYS SAVE THE BATCH! just let it sit and try not rouse the yeast before you pour it in a glass. Good luck!

Old 05-22-2010, 04:14 PM   #1490
goose1873
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

90% of beers are going to taste like poo in 8 days. whats the hurry? I ferment everything 21+ days even if its done in a week...some lighter beers are ready in a couple weeks but 3 weeks is a good rule of thumb. patience my friend.... patience...

You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline - it helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer.
----Frank Zappa

Quick Reply