Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > American Ale > All-Grain - Bee Cave Brewery Haus Pale Ale

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-02-2007, 11:22 PM   #111
EdWort
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 260 Times on 137 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by kappclark
Going for the 108th reply - I must say this has been a wonderful introduction to AG, with very little/no complication.

The results have been very well received, like at my neighbor's birthday party last night ...

EdWort - any NEW recipes in the making ?
Thanks! Nothing at the moment. I'm busy with Teach a Friend to Homebrew and the next two weekends are busy with my son's Boy Scout activities.

This fall will be a prime time for a new quaffable brew using Pilsener malt since I have a couple hundred pounds of it.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-05-2007, 12:30 AM   #112
jacobyhale

Recipes 

What would be the best substitute yeast for this recipe? My LHBS doesn't carry the dry nottinghams. They have a whole bunch of liquid wyeast and white labs, and then these dry: http://www.beernut.com/Web_store/web_store.cgi?page=dryyeast.html&cart_id=8088633_3 616

Old 11-05-2007, 12:40 AM   #113
ScubaSteve

Recipes 

Liked 62 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 11

California WLP001 is always a good choice for American Ales.

Old 11-05-2007, 01:31 AM   #114
EdWort

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobyhale
What would be the best substitute yeast for this recipe? My LHBS doesn't carry the dry nottinghams.
Wow, I can't believe the Beernut does not carry Nottingham, Windsor, or Safale Dry yeasts. They are missing the boat for their customers.

As ScubaSteve says, the WLP001 will work fine, but it defeats the purpose of my Haus Ale being Easy, Cheap, & Tasty. Give it a try, but if you end up liking the beer, order a bunch of Nottingham from someone who carries it.

Nottingham rocks, is cheap, no starter required, comes in handy if you get a stuck fermentation, and ferments very clean for a tasty beer.

Old 11-05-2007, 01:49 AM   #115
jacobyhale

Recipes 

It is possible that the Beernut does carry the yeast, as I've found their website to be unreliable at best. I'll go in and check it out tomorrow. If not, I don't plan on brewing until later on this weekend. Any recommendations on a shop to order the yeast from?

Old 11-05-2007, 12:15 PM   #116
EdWort

Recipes 

Go online and try www.austinhomebrew.com or www.morebeer.com or www.northernbrewer.com and you will find some.

Cheers,

EdWort

Haus Pale Ale, Bavarian Hefeweizen, Robust Porter, Oktoberfest Ale, Wounded Knee IPA, Rye IPA, BCB IPA, Kolsch, Apfelwein

Old 11-06-2007, 02:44 AM   #117
jacobyhale

Recipes 

Just an update, that yes, BeerNut does have the Nottinghams yeast.

Old 11-06-2007, 02:53 AM   #118
jacobyhale

Recipes 

Oh, sorry but yet another question. They have several different types of 2row. The guy was telling me that Maris Otter was my best option, but what do you use? I'd like to stick as close to yours as possible.

Old 11-06-2007, 03:22 AM   #119
EdWort

Recipes 

Maris Otter is a great malted grain, but my recipe calls for simple 2 row pale.

Again, Easy, Cheap, & Tasty.

Cheers,

EdWort

Haus Pale Ale, Bavarian Hefeweizen, Robust Porter, Oktoberfest Ale, Wounded Knee IPA, Rye IPA, BCB IPA, Kolsch, Apfelwein

Old 11-07-2007, 02:50 AM   #120
Poindexter

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Just some FWIW hop U from out from under my pencil.

I did the PM version with 2# Vienna, 0.5# Crystal and 5# DME. I used 2.0 ozs of 5.9% Cascade. I turned off the heat and added all the DME with 15 minutes left in the boil. What I did was pause the clock, add the DME off the heat, return to heat, return to boil, restart clock, add 15 minute hops, continue. I ass/u/me zero additional hop U during the pause to dissolve.

With a 3 gallon boil and a 5.5gal ready to pitch OG of 1.050, I think I got 31 HBUs. I had to fudge alittle since I started the boil at 1.020. I would have expected 34.8 just off the 5.9% compared to EdWorts original 6.6%, obviously my U is lower.

Using one of the hop U calculators I concluded I would need 14.8 HBUs of hops to match the 39IBU edWort describes for the Ag version page one this thread.

EDIT: It occurs to me overnight matching IBU to IBU is not quite the whole picture. I feel like a big part of what makes an APA an APA is the balance between bitter- flavor - aroma. Judging by the uniformly positive reviews here EdWort struck a good balance. I am going to do the math twice more, once to see how many IBUs the AG version should produce at 60-30-15-5, and then go back and jiggle the hop rates for PM late DME version at the top of this post.

Using the Tinseth method from realbeer link:

http://realbeer.com/hops/FAQ.html#units

I caluclate EdWort is getting 20.8 IBUs out of the (60), 7.9 (30), 2.6 (15) and 1.4 (5), ass/u/me his SG is constant at 1.050 on 5.5 gallons. So ballpark, on the
Tinseth table EdWort is getting 32.7IBU into his 5.5 gal ferment.

Using the same Tinseth chart for U and the *ME schedule from above, ...<standyby>

I think it will take 19.1 HBUs for a PM brewer to match the AG hop balance.

7.2 HBU @ 60 min will put 37.4 IBUs in the three gal boil
6.4 HBU @ 30 min = 14.2 IBUs in the boil
2.6 HBU @15 min = 4.7 IBU in the boil
2.9 HBU @5 min = 2.5 IBU in the boil

so then the 3 gal boil almost doubled (* 1.8 actual for 5.5 gallons)

32.67 IBUs in the fermenter, Tinseth method, should match pretty good on bitter-flavor - aroma. Gonna try it.

EDIT: 11-18-07 I bottled the first batch with 11.8 HBUs of cascades. It is good beer, I don't expect to pour it down the sink. In fact, I really like it, just not the hops I expect in an APA. Not an expert, this is hoppier than say Newcastle brown, but less hoppy than beer in a box English Pale Ale from Muntons. For now my second batch with the 19.1HBUs was still at 1.018 this AM, so maybe next weekend.

EDIT: 11-25-07 I got the 11.8HBU Cascades version bottled about a week ago. The 19.1 HBU Sterling version was bottled on 11.21-07 and the 21 HBU Saaz bitter / Chinnook aroma, flavor is still in secondary.

EDIT III: 11-29-07. I got into the first 5.9% Cascades batch tonight. Not fully carbonated yet, but

EDIT IV: 12-08-07: I kegged my third batch about thirty minutes ago. I was shooting for F-W Pale hop clone, I used (60) 4.25HBU Saaz and 3.0HBU Hallertau. (30) was 6.4HBU Hallertau, (15) 3.78 HBU Chinook, (5) was 3.25 HBU Chinook. flat, about to force carb, it is close enough to start fooling with the grains and use all the same noble bittering hop next time.

EDITV: 02-02-08: The 21HBU version described in editIV is the best beer recipe I have ever tweaked. Once it was carbed this stuff kicked absolute butt. I started out trying to clone Firestone-Walker Pale. I think I surpassed them on hops balance. If I had the space to go all grain I would be going after their grain bill, but only because I like that beer so much.

EDIT VI: 02-09-08: I now agree with HB_99 from experience and I now add my *ME at flameout. All of the hop U calcs in this post on page 12 are for *ME addition with 15 minutes left in the boil. If you want to see some hop U for *ME at flameout, jump forward to post 272 on page 28 this thread:

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/showpost.php?p=550033&postcount=272

Last edited by Poindexter; 02-09-2008 at 03:24 PM.

Quick Reply