Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > American Ale > All-Grain - Bee Cave Brewery Haus Pale Ale

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-25-2009, 09:56 PM   #1161
BunzoBrew
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Default First AG

I brewed the extract version of this stuff last winter. I ordered the munich syrup from austin homebrew and everything... it came out great!

A week ago I delved into my first AG brew with this recipe. I just got a kegging setup and it will also be my first brew on draft I can't wait to try my first AG batch.

I'd like to thank this community and Edwort for his beginner friendly recipes. I definitely read the MLT cooler thread and this one for my first all grain.

I really enjoyed my first all grain brew. I hit 75% efficiency and the process was very streamlined due to the batch sparge option, and a simple cost efficient recipe from Ed.

I am all about the mantra of KISS (keep it simple stupid) and efficiency. My own extract recipes have revolved around a modest OG with humble amounts of a single hop to keep the costs down. I am looking forward to sipping this one and see if it's that magical and light crispy ale of wonders that everyone is raving about.

Cheers to HBT and the great community here which provides THE central location online for the exchange of homebrew information

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-03-2009, 09:55 PM   #1162
NTOLERANCE
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts

This beer will cleary so well after about a month, you will swear its a filtered microbrew lager.

Awesome recipe Ed.

They call him easy.....easy brewer.....

Old 09-04-2009, 10:56 PM   #1163
pnj
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 6 Posts

I just picked up 50 pounds of 2-Row and the rest of the grains in bulk as well. Enough for six batches.

I would like to add some other specialty grains to change this up a bit, but I'm not sure what....?

What would adding more Vienna do? Could I add 'too much' and ruin this beer?

My last batch was altered heavily because,
1. I fermented in the low 70's (all my beers do that from time to time)
2. After bottled we had a heat wave at it was over 100 in our apt. This was the real killer.

that batch tastes like Malt Liquor. I can taste a hint of the vienna after I've had half a bottle or so, but mostly it just taste like high alcohol booze. Still gunna drink 'em though..

Old 09-05-2009, 02:58 AM   #1164
bkov
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

has anyone tried this with MO isntead of 2row?

Old 09-05-2009, 01:45 PM   #1165
paradoc
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richie View Post
Here is a pic of mine. I am not sure what I did wrong but it looks a lot lighter than other peoples pics and has a terrible after taste. It is about 4-5 weeks old, so I am hoping it will get better with age. I ordered the kit from BMW so know the ingredients are correct. Also my mash temps were good.
Interesting... looks EXACTLY like my first batch did. I also ordered the kit from BMW. I think the yeast (Nottingham) was a bad batch, but not sure. I'm going to try again in a couple of days with fresh ingredients. My mash temps and OG were right on, but VERY slow start to fermentation. Hard to imagine a bad batch of grain causing this. Something seems to have gone awry in the fermentation to me.

I'm not 100% sure, but believe my yeast was from the same lot as this one:
Lot: 1081140118V
exp: 01-2011

I'd be curious to know if you have a lot number, and when you ordered your kit from BMW. I ordered mine end of June.

Primary: Pliny the Elder, Smoked Porter
Secondary: Apfelwein
Kegged: Bee Cave Pale Ale, Belgian Dubbel, Apfelwein
Bottled: Vinnie's Blind Pig IPA
Next up: Pliny the Elder, my own IPA, Sake, homemade ginger ale

Old 09-06-2009, 06:57 PM   #1166
mc_eric
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Just mashed in on my second batch of this stuff. The first batch turned out great. I've actually used this recipe as a base when coming up with my own recipes. I made a wheat ale by replacing 4# of 2-row with 4# of wheat malt, using some tettnang hops, and adding a little honey. That was one of the best batches I've done so far.

Thanks for the recipe, EdWort!

Oh, I used s-33 on that wheat, if anyone's interested

Old 09-07-2009, 12:46 AM   #1167
keelanfish
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkov View Post
has anyone tried this with MO isntead of 2row?
Ditto on trying Marris Otter instead of 2 row. Anyone try this? Please share the results.

Old 09-07-2009, 06:54 AM   #1168
jacketsfan
Recipes 

brewed this one last weekend with friend. suprised to find after 12 hours primary lid BLOWN CLEAR OFF BUCKET! replaced lid and was still fermenting good so proceeded as usual. Bottled after 8 days and we'll see how it tastes in a few weeks.

Old 09-07-2009, 07:12 PM   #1169
paradoc
Recipes 

Default Nottingham Recall

Be aware that there is a batch of Nottingham that was recalled (same batch I used). I'm cross-posting this here, since my kit from Brewmasters Warehouse came with the recalled yeast. Before you brew, you might want to check the lot number. The lot number, and instructions for getting replacement are in the following thread.

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f163/nottingham-yeast-recall-135065/

Primary: Pliny the Elder, Smoked Porter
Secondary: Apfelwein
Kegged: Bee Cave Pale Ale, Belgian Dubbel, Apfelwein
Bottled: Vinnie's Blind Pig IPA
Next up: Pliny the Elder, my own IPA, Sake, homemade ginger ale

Old 09-10-2009, 08:12 PM   #1170
Jaysus
Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 79

so... let's say i had 3.5lbs of fresh nugget and cascade (mixed, no idea of the AA%) that I wanted to use in a beer awfully similar to this - how would you suggest I go about doing that?

Quick Reply