Ed, sorry to bother you but do you always batch sparge this? tomorrow I want to fly sparge it, 10 gallon batch (12.5 to 13 in keggle).
Is this ok?
* Heat 1.25 quarts of water per pound (21lbs) of grain to 170 degrees.
* Add hot water to mash vessel along with your thermometer.
* Mix in crushed grains when water temperature reaches 168°F. Stir until no large, dry clumps remain.
* Check temperature after about 5 minutes. Ideal temperature is 154°F. Adjust temperature if cooler than 145°F or warmer than 158°F.
* Cover mash and leave undisturbed for one hour.
* Fill to top of 10gal rubbermail 180 degree mashout, stir and let rest 10 minutes.
* Vorluof (excuse spelling)
* Heat sparge water to about 180 degrees F.
* sparge at 1 quart per 90 seconds.
* Collect 12.5 gallons of wort in your brew kettle.
Does this sound right? Can anyone check my numbers or suggest anything that will help improve my first AG, and first 10Gal batch?
Last edited by RedOctober; 06-27-2009 at 11:51 AM.