Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > American Ale > All-Grain - Bee Cave Brewery Haus Pale Ale

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-30-2007, 04:09 AM   #91
Robar
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Thanks BierMuncher, I feel like a complete dork now.

1st Primary:Cacade/Orange Pale
2nd Primary:Wild Hop Pale
secondary: Inspired Clone

Kegged: Edwort's House Pale, Honey Porter, BierMuncher's Black Pearl Porter

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-30-2007, 01:50 PM   #92
Robar
Recipes 

I figured out what was retarding my fermentation. I took great advice and sat back drank a home brew and the reason came to me. Lately now that it's cooler, I've been keeping my brews upstairs (Ground floor) until they start fermenting. When I finished this brew it was High 60's in the house. However while I sat drinking my brew it dawned on me that it was to warm. It was now in the higher 70's. Well I took it down to the basement where the temp was in the mid 60's and within about an hour and a half. Fermentation was picking up nicely. It would appear that the notting ham yeast does not like temps above it's listed range at all.

Old 09-30-2007, 08:51 PM   #93
EdWort
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 263 Times on 138 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Today I did a little experimentation with my recipe. I added 1/2 pound of flaked barley (for 5 gallons) (since I have 50 pounds of the stuff). I also split my 10 gallon batch with two yeasts. Nottingham and Safale-05.

I'm going to tape the sensor of my freezer controller to one bucket and set the temp to 68 degrees. I'll report back any changes.

I'm expecting the flaked barley to add a little creaminess to the beer and better head retention.

Old 10-05-2007, 03:07 PM   #94
uuurang
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdWort
Today I did a little experimentation with my recipe. I added 1/2 pound of flaked barley (for 5 gallons) (since I have 50 pounds of the stuff). I also split my 10 gallon batch with two yeasts. Nottingham and Safale-05.

I'm going to tape the sensor of my freezer controller to one bucket and set the temp to 68 degrees. I'll report back any changes.

I'm expecting the flaked barley to add a little creaminess to the beer and better head retention.
Awesome ED, looking forward to hearing results! I decided to use your Bee cave Haus pale recipe as my testing/control beer. It's ridiculously easy to make and provides great beer. I'm brewing it 10 times in a row and changing only one thing (grains, mash temp, water, hops, etc.) at a time to record how the change effects the beer in the end. So far I'm 2 batches in using Amarillo hops with different amounts.

Thanks again Ed!

"Labor is prior to, and independent of, capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration." Lincoln's First Annual Message to Congress, December 3, 1861.

Old 10-05-2007, 03:52 PM   #95
EdWort
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 263 Times on 138 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by uuurang
Awesome ED, looking forward to hearing results! I decided to use your Bee cave Haus pale recipe as my testing/control beer. It's ridiculously easy to make and provides great beer. I'm brewing it 10 times in a row and changing only one thing (grains, mash temp, water, hops, etc.) at a time to record how the change effects the beer in the end. So far I'm 2 batches in using Amarillo hops with different amounts.
Sweet! The CONTROL Brew! Sounds like you are honing your skills. That's the way to do it, while brewing something good to drink while you are at it.

Nottingham ferments like crazy and my freezer was at 59 degrees for the first couple of days while the bucket was at 68. A nine degree differential. Wow!

Enjoy!

Cheers,

EdWort

Haus Pale Ale, Bavarian Hefeweizen, Robust Porter, Oktoberfest Ale, Wounded Knee IPA, Rye IPA, BCB IPA, Kolsch, Apfelwein

Old 10-09-2007, 03:07 PM   #96
Robar
Recipes 

HA! What do you know? I was going to make the Haus Pale on Sunday, but plans fell through, so today was the day. I followed your instructions to the letter Ed and ended up with 5.5 gals (A first) maybe even a bit more, of Haus Pale coming in at OG1.050

If you'll remember last time I had 4.5 gallons at 1.041 What a difference! I couldn't be happier. Thanks once again Ed for all the help, hints, and encouragement. I feel as if a weight has been lifted from my brewing shoulders.

Old 10-10-2007, 09:14 PM   #97
Ryanh1801

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Well jumped on the band wagon and bought the stuff to do this brew, gonna be brewing it tonight. Only change was using a Cali. ale yeast. LHBS did not have any dry yeast in stock.

Old 10-10-2007, 11:42 PM   #98
richenrygarcia
Recipes 

Default Extract conversion

Is there an extract version of this recipe floating around? I've only seen the mini-mash version but don't think I am ready for that.

Old 10-12-2007, 12:45 PM   #99
discgolfin
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I just ordered my ingredients!!! I upped the 2 row a bit. I have been doing PM for a long while and have yet to dive into all grain. I have the set up for it and this recipe seems just hands down the best choice for my first all grain. I noticed an immediete change when I went to a true PM with a 5 gallon cooler. The beer was fresher and better. I am really excited about getting rid of DME and LME for good!!! Well only for PM in the dead of winter when there is no way in hell I would brew outside..

Grain should arrive this week!!

Jay

Primary: DFH 60 IPA
Secondaty: Blond Ale, Apfelwine, Crandaddy mead
Bottle: Blue moon clone,Kolsch, Eds House Ale, Barley wine, Stone IPA, Oatmeal stout, Hefe,

Drinking: 60 minute IPA, Honkers Ale, Wheat, cherry wheat, Appfelwine,

On Deck: Imperial Stout,

Old 10-21-2007, 07:41 PM   #100
discgolfin
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Well I must say this was a success. What an easy simple and nice recipe. I used 1 extra pound of 2 row just in case. My mash temp was a bit high..not sure how this will affect. I did hit a nice 1.052 orignial gravity.

First all grain..in the books... a nice fermentation the next morning.

Jay

Primary: DFH 60 IPA
Secondaty: Blond Ale, Apfelwine, Crandaddy mead
Bottle: Blue moon clone,Kolsch, Eds House Ale, Barley wine, Stone IPA, Oatmeal stout, Hefe,

Drinking: 60 minute IPA, Honkers Ale, Wheat, cherry wheat, Appfelwine,

On Deck: Imperial Stout,

Quick Reply