Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > American Ale > Multiple - American Winter Brown Ale

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-24-2008, 03:12 AM   #1
Coastarine
We get it, you hate BMC.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Multiple - American Winter Brown Ale

Recipe Type: Extract
Yeast: 2 packets US-05 or 1056
Yeast Starter: no
Additional Yeast or Yeast Starter: no
Batch Size (Gallons): 5.5
Original Gravity: 1.083
Final Gravity: 1.021
IBU: 47
Boiling Time (Minutes): 60
Color: 20
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 14-21 @ 67F
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): optional
Tasting Notes: It's effin good.

AG 5.5 gallons 80% brewhouse efficiency:

14lbs 14oz Rahr 2-row (US) Extract brewers, use 10lbs 5.5oz of DME.
14oz Crystal 60
2oz Black Patent
2oz Chocolate (US)

Mash 154 for 60 with a tbs of 5.2 stabilizer, two batch sparges at 170.

1oz Newport 10% 60min 28.5 IBU
1.5oz Willamette 4.4% 20min 10.1 IBU
1.5oz Willamette 4.4% 5min 3.3 IBU

I used a small amount of gypsum and epsom salt to adjust my water post-mash, but that's completely up to you. It has only been in the keg for two and a half weeks now and I bottled a bomber and brought it home. It was tasted by my dad who is an extract brewer with similar tastes to me, by another extract brewer who only likes big beers (this one works out to 8.1% and he likes beers more around 10%) and by his son who is a BMC drinker who has a craft brew now and then but doesn't know anything about it. All three really liked this one, but the guy who only likes big beers declared it as absolutely awesome, incredible, etc. He was gushing about this beer. I have since pulled it from the keezer to let it age at room temp. The alcohol is imperceptible but it can only get better.

It has a nice dark tan head and a clean but rich flavor. Some people say they taste the chocolate and nutty flavors, while I taste more of the dark fruit flavors. Really great depth of flavor. If I were going to change up the hop schedule I'd go up, not down. It would be really good with 10 more IBU's or so and a more pronounced hop flavor and aroma, but then again it would be a different beer. If you wanted to take it a different direction, it would take very nicely to some mulling spices like cinnamon, clove, etc, just go easy. It does not fit a style precisely, but don't let that stop you!

Someone else has got to brew this!

On Tap.........[The Munchner][Spiced Cider][English Cider][Simcoe IPA][Triple Hops Grooved][Cider'n 'gnac]

Last edited by Coastarine; 03-18-2009 at 01:28 AM.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-04-2009, 02:45 PM   #2
Coastarine
We get it, you hate BMC.

Recipes 

I'm thinking when I brew this again I'll up the black patent to 4oz and pull back the crystal to 10oz maybe.

edit: scratch this, I wouldn't change a thing.

On Tap.........[The Munchner][Spiced Cider][English Cider][Simcoe IPA][Triple Hops Grooved][Cider'n 'gnac]

Last edited by Coastarine; 03-18-2009 at 01:25 AM.

Old 02-02-2009, 11:05 PM   #3
Coastarine
We get it, you hate BMC.

Recipes 

This just came out of 9 weeks of aging and it is spectacular! The best beer I've ever brewed!

So smooth, so warm.

Old 02-02-2009, 11:44 PM   #4
hukdizzle
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

oHHHHHHHH boy do I like big winter brews, this is going to be soooo good...

Old 02-11-2009, 10:23 PM   #5
luckyguy19
Recipes 

can't wait to try this one, the bigger the better.

Old 02-12-2009, 10:19 PM   #6
Coastarine
We get it, you hate BMC.

Recipes 

This one absolutely must be served at 50F or warmer. I am enamored with this beer. At the warmer temps the dark fruit is still present with bitter dark chocolate. I even found the perfect glass for serving after trying everything from a snifter to a pint glass. It is just the right size (about 7oz) while the shape helps your hand warm the beer. Shown here with my homemade reuben and cream ale.

Old 02-21-2009, 07:01 PM   #7
CiscoKid

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

You sold me with the Kieran... this is on the list. My only dilemma now: Wait until fall to get started on this, or just brew it "out of season." I'm not sure this is going to sound nearly as palatable in the middle of August. :-)

Old 02-21-2009, 08:18 PM   #8
Coastarine
We get it, you hate BMC.

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CiscoKid View Post
I'm not sure this is going to sound nearly as palatable in the middle of August. :-)
Meh, its a matter of personal preference. I enjoy drinking beers that are in season, and then I don't enjoy them any less when they aren't. It may be winter but it's still florida here.

Old 03-09-2009, 05:32 PM   #9
Coastarine
We get it, you hate BMC.

Recipes 

Ahh yes, it has been brought to my attention that while this can be either an AG or extract beer, I do not recommend attempting this with less than a full size boil. At the very least 3 gallons on a turkey fryer (not indoors) and use your fermcap-s. Also, if you must do a less than full size boil, consider substituting some LME for the DME as it will dissolve easier in the high concentration.

Last edited by Coastarine; 03-09-2009 at 05:34 PM.

Old 03-17-2009, 01:15 AM   #10
Coastarine
We get it, you hate BMC.

Recipes 

This beer was declared "world class" by the head brewer of our local brew pub! It was a very proud moment for me, as he apparently tastes a lot of homebrew that he sees as mediocre.

Quick Reply