Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > American Ale > Extract - American Amber Ale --Easy, and cheap!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-14-2010, 01:10 AM   #1
AugustDerleth
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Default Extract - American Amber Ale --Easy, and cheap!

Recipe Type: Extract
Yeast: Windsor, #1056
Yeast Starter: none
Batch Size (Gallons): 5
Original Gravity: 1.050
Final Gravity: 1.012
Boiling Time (Minutes): 60
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 7
Additional Fermentation: bottle minimum 3 weeks
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 14
Tasting Notes: Extremely light citrus taste, fairly strong hop smell, not too bitey

6 lbs light malt extract
1 1/2 lbs pale malt (domestic 2-row)
1 lb. medium crystal malt
1 oz. Mt Hood or Liberty hops (bittering)
1/2 oz Cascades (or Amarillo) hops (flavouring)
1/2 oz Cascades (or Amarillo) hops (finishing)
1 pkg. Burton Water Salts
1 pkg. Windsor ale yeast, #1056 (or #1272)
1 pkg Bru-Vigor yeast food (optional, but beneficial!)

3/4 cup corn sugar (primer at bottling)

Steep grains in bag for 30 minutes, sparge with 168 degree water, bring back to boil and add extract. Boil for 5 minutes, add bittering hops and boil another 45 minutes. Add flavouring hops and boil 10 more minutes, add aroma hops and turn off heat. Store fermenter between 55 and 70 degrees.

For a neat variation, add about 7 pounds (more or less to your taste) pumpkin (quartered, sprinkled with pumpkin pie spice and baked for 2 hours at 350 degrees, then cut into 1" squares and lightly mashed) in a cheesecloth bag at the same time you add extract at initial boil. And add 3 cinnamon sticks during last 10 minutes of boil. I followed 1,2,3 and kept my bottles at 55 degrees during that 3 weeks, and was rewarded with a delicious tasting ale for cheap! Good luck and RDWHAHB.

Bottled: Edwort's Apfelwein, S.O.F. Ale, D.C.O.S., AAA2, AAA3, OSS, SS211, DPDB, Thunderstruck Pumpkin Ale, Arachnid Brown Ale, Oktoberfeast, Apple Cider1, Apple Cider2, AAA1

SWIBA: (She Who Is Bad Ass) bought me a 6gal Better Bottle! Excellent.
Matthewjscott Likes This 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-14-2010, 01:17 AM   #2
AugustDerleth
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Scaled to 1 gallon for your convenience:
1.2# Light Malt Extract
.3# Pale Malt
.2# Medium Crystal Malt
.2oz Mt. Hood (bitter)
.1oz Cascades (flavour)
.1oz cascades (finish)
about .15 cup Corn Sugar
about 1.4 pounds pumpkin
Enjoy!
Bottled: Edwort's Apfelwein, S.O.F. Ale, D.C.O.S., AAA2, AAA3, OSS, SS211, DPDB, Thunderstruck Pumpkin Ale, Arachnid Brown Ale, Oktoberfeast, Apple Cider1, Apple Cider2, AAA1

Old 12-09-2010, 11:27 PM   #3
jonmohno
Recipes 

Liked 410 Times on 361 Posts
Likes Given: 1188

this sounds similar to what im going for but with white wheat instead of the pale and maybe some willamette hops,also may add some carapils. and with brown sugar during at at last 5 want to even prime with some maplesugar or brownsugar. what do you think?

Old 12-10-2010, 06:20 PM   #4
AugustDerleth
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Important to note; this is my novice opinion:

I would prime with brown sugar, and sounds pretty good to me! A bit different, the willamette will bring more fruity/floral notes which can be good if that's what you like! As long as you don't go too crazy with the carapils you should be alright, and it really will only affect the mouthfeel and retention, not so much the flavour or colour. Good luck! Give it a shot and let me know how it turns out!

Old 12-11-2010, 04:03 AM   #5
jonmohno
Recipes 

Liked 410 Times on 361 Posts
Likes Given: 1188

thanks, i had decided beforhand not to add the caprils based on the effect i would get like from the wheat after reading the carpils description.I ended up steeping 1/8# carmel 20, 1/2 # white wheat and 1/4# vienna about 1 and 1/4 # of dme(organic) and a can of spiced pumpkin and 2 oz brown sugar and forgot to add more brown sugar at end but priming with maple sugar or brown will probably do the trick? got a1.053 og at 80 deg. im happy i found a 2 gallon glass jar,instead of my( homedepot bucket.)has a wide mouth top with a wood lid with a flimsy not very air tite gasket seal but drilled a hole for the airlock. and i scored it for 5 bucks, i bought two more.oh and i used half the can at boil and 1/2 at last 5.based on reasearching what method is better and midwest pumkin has add the can the last 5 so i guess ill see in a month

Old 12-11-2010, 04:35 AM   #6
AugustDerleth
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

hahahah well that's a completely different recipe, but regardless I hope it turns out well for you!

Old 02-16-2011, 04:53 PM   #7
elkhornbrewing
Recipes 

what about brewing this beer but adding peach extract at bottling? Looking for a good ale to mix fruits with

Old 02-20-2011, 02:58 AM   #8
ChateauBro
Recipes 

my room mates and i are thinkin about brewin this, but we don't have the mt.hood hops, we have some tettnager. you think this will end up being a good brew if we used the tettnager instead?

Old 02-24-2011, 05:51 PM   #9
AugustDerleth
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

elkhorn: I'm not sure how much extract you would add, but it is very possible to secondary this with fruit, if you are going to add fruit however, make sure you keep the fermenter in a fairly cool area. The recipe by itself is not too overpowering, and you can always cut out the aroma hops if you feel like it.

Bro: well, I honestly would suggest liberty or hallertau, or even crystal instead of tett.
Good luck yous two!

Old 03-08-2011, 10:23 PM   #10
Texas_Brew
Recipes 

6 lbs light malt extract suppose this is lme ? not dme?

Quick Reply