Amarillo Pale Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RoaringBrewer

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
See Below
Yeast Starter
See Below
Additional Yeast or Yeast Starter
See Below
Batch Size (Gallons)
See Below
Original Gravity
See Below
Final Gravity
See Below
Boiling Time (Minutes)
See Below
IBU
See Below
Color
See Below
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
See Below
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
See Below
Additional Fermentation
See Below
Brewed this up as my first AG in a 5G Rubbermaid MLT with SS Braid. Hit 80% efficiency, so thats what the recipe is drafted for, feel free to adjust if you get less efficiency. I kegged this after a 2 week primary, 2 week secondary, and tasting it (with little carbonation) after 2 days, it is delicious! Can't wait until I get more CO2 into this... Mmm mmm.

I love Amarillo Hops and hit, in my opinion, the perfect amount for this to be a good session drinker for homebrewers and BMC folk alike.

Here's the BeerSmith text and file. PM me with any specific questions you might have:

Recipe: Amarillo Pale Ale - AG Full Boil
Brewer: Roaring Bull Brewery
Style: American Pale Ale
TYPE: All Grain
Taste: 42.00

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 5.00 gal
Boil Size: 6.00 gal
Estimated OG: 1.052 SG
Estimated Color: 6.2 SRM
Estimated IBU: 31.4 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 80.0 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
7.00 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 71.79 %
1.00 lb Victory Malt (25.0 SRM) Grain 10.26 %
1.00 lb Vienna Malt (3.5 SRM) Grain 10.26 %
0.50 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 10L (10.0 SRM) Grain 5.13 %
0.25 lb Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM) Grain 2.56 %
0.50 oz Cascade [6.90 %] (60 min) Hops 12.8 IBU
0.50 oz Amarillo Gold [8.40 %] (15 min) Hops 7.7 IBU
0.50 oz Amarillo Gold [8.40 %] (10 min) Hops 5.6 IBU
0.50 oz Amarillo Gold [8.40 %] (5 min) Hops 3.1 IBU
0.50 oz Amarillo Gold [8.40 %] (2 min) Hops 1.3 IBU
0.50 oz Amarillo Gold [8.40 %] (1 min) Hops 0.7 IBU
1 Pkgs SafAle American Ale (DCL Yeast #S-05) Yeast-Ale

Mash Schedule: My Mash
Total Grain Weight: 8.50 lb
----------------------------
Name Description Step Temp Step Time
Step Add 11.99 qt of water at 163.5 F 152.0 F 60 min

View attachment Amarillo Pale - AG.bsm

Still enjoying this today - definitely one of my best beers brewed to date. Here is a quick iPhone picture of it. It's definitely a light, crisp, clear beer... Head retention is OK for a while (pic is after sitting 10+ mins), but it has some good lacing for such a light bodied beer. It's usually even better in a pint glass, but I'm digging this glass lately, so that's what I'm using. :mug:

Amarillo_Pale.jpg

Looks good. My concern is the sweetness with 1.25lb in Crystal malts. I see you mash @ 152F, but is it dry enough?

Well, I actually missed my mash temp of 152' or my answer may be different. Probably mashed this at 149F or so... it finished right around 1.010 believe it or not, so its just about perfect.

If I were to try it again and mash at the appropriate temp (152), I would probably go with 1lb Victory, an extra .25lb. of pale malt, and drop .25lb each of crystal and cara-pils. (EDITED RECIPE ABOVE TO REFLECT THIS CHANGE)

However, it turned out so good I'm tempted to just brew it the same way next time!

RoaringBrewer said:
Well, I actually missed my mash temp of 152' or my answer may be different. Probably mashed this at 149F or so... it finished right around 1.010 believe it or not, so its just about perfect.

If I were to try it again and mash at the appropriate temp (152), I would probably go with 1lb Victory, an extra .25lb. of pale malt, and drop .25lb each of crystal and cara-pils.

However, it turned out so good I'm tempted to just brew it the same way next time!

Cool, I'll try mashing it @ 150F and leave the bill as is...

Please make sure you adjust the bill for efficiency, if you don't get the 80% that I normally do... Not bragging here at all, just something that might be easily overlooked when you grab a recipe and brew it! Sometimes you don't consider the OP's efficiency, boil size, or other fairly straight-forward things!

Definitely let me know how yours turns out. I love it... but I also love Amarillo hops and easy drinking beers...

RoaringBrewer said:
Please make sure you adjust the bill for efficiency, if you don't get the 80% that I normally do... Not bragging here at all, just something that might be easily overlooked when you grab a recipe and brew it! Sometimes you don't consider the OP's efficiency, boil size, or other fairly straight-forward things!

Definitely let me know how yours turns out. I love it... but I also love Amarillo hops and easy drinking beers...

Yeah I noticed that. Depending on the grain amount, I adjust my efficiency accordingly. In this case, I'll probably assume 77-78% efficiency. Cheers...

I think I will give this a try in partial mash format this weekend:

Mini mash (BIAB):

1.5kg Pilsner
500g Victory
500g Vienna or Munich (depending on LHBS)
250g Caramel 20L
100g Carapils

+3kg of LME light colored
With Same hop schedule

This supposedly gives me 1.062 SG and 29IBU's

For the yeast I have S-04 and Nottingham. Not sure which to use...

I think I will give this a try in partial mash format this weekend:

Mini mash (BIAB):

1.5kg Pilsner
500g Victory
500g Vienna or Munich (depending on LHBS)
250g Caramel 20L
100g Carapils

+3kg of LME light colored
With Same hop schedule

This supposedly gives me 1.062 SG and 29IBU's

For the yeast I have S-04 and Nottingham. Not sure which to use...

I'd use the Nottingham...

I would also try to bring the gravity down to around 1.050-1.052 and keep the 30ish IBU. That's how it was meant to be enjoyed. :) It's still not bitter with that IBU/Gravity ratio b/c the Cascade I use as the bittering hop (60min) is obviously a pretty smooth hop and the Amarillo throughout is just oh so tasty...

:)

I'd use the Nottingham...

I would also try to bring the gravity down to around 1.050-1.052 and keep the 30ish IBU. That's how it was meant to be enjoyed. :) It's still not bitter with that IBU/Gravity ratio b/c the Cascade I use as the bittering hop (60min) is obviously a pretty smooth hop and the Amarillo throughout is just oh so tasty...

:)

If I bump down the extract to 1.5-2 kg I get around those numbers. Will definitely try the Nottingham then!

Still enjoying this today - definitely one of my best beers brewed to date. Here is a quick iPhone picture of it. It's definitely a light, crisp, clear beer... Head retention is OK for a while (pic is after sitting 10+ mins), but it has some good lacing for such a light bodied beer. It's usually even better in a pint glass, but I'm digging this glass lately, so that's what I'm using. :mug:

Amarillo_Pale.jpg
10 Minutes in the glass.... and its not gone?!?!?!? are you sure its good?;)

So I brewed this one recently and now that its in the bottle I have had the chance to have a few this friday with my buddy:

The mouthfeel is smooth and it is highly drinkable. THis may be partly due to the fact that it is still a bit undercarbed, but only partially. THe malt taste from the vienna and victory blend VERY nicely with the pronounced fruity amarillo aroma and taste. Everyone I have given a taste of this beer has been very appreciative. It is a very nice and well balanced recipe and I would make it again for sure, especially since I have about another 12oz of amarillo to get through hehe.

OVerall a great one. Color is amber to red as above. Nottingham cleared out very nicely and its very translucent. A beauty this one...

Back