American Pale Ale Amarillo APA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewing Clamper

Reaction score
Recipe Type
Extract
Yeast
WLP001
Yeast Starter
1 qt
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
21+
Tasting Notes
Here's my simple APA that is (almost) always on tap at my place:

Amarillo Pale Ale
10-A American Pale Ale

6.50 lb Alexander LME - Pale
0.5 lb Crystal 10L
0.5 lb Crystal 40L
1.0 tsp Irish Moss - added during boil, boiled 10.0 min
0.7 oz Amarillo Gold (8.9%) - added during boil, boiled 60.0 min
0.3 oz Amarillo Gold (8.9%) - added during boil, boiled 30.0 min
0.2 oz Amarillo Gold (8.9%) - added during boil, boiled 10.0 min
1.0 oz Amarillo Gold (8.9%) - added during boil, dry hop
1.0 tsp Yeast Nutrient - added during boil, boiled 10.0 min

Notes
Last hop addition (1.0 oz.) dry hop for 14 days.

Last edited by a moderator:
That's a good question, I can't really compare it to a comercial brew. This is far from the original recipe that I had. I just kept adjusting the ingredients and hop schedule until I found what I like. I find it cleaner and crisper than SNPA, with a lot more citrus notes, almost grapefruit-like. The WLP001 finishes it pretty dry so there's not too much maltiness to it.

Why dry hop for 14 days? I thought the hops were basically useless after a week in the primary. Also what yeast did you use?

I made an all Amarillo APA with Marris Otter, Crystal 40 and Golden Light DME, 2 oz during boil and 1 oz dry hop for 5 days. I tried the first one at 4 weeks and was close to tossing the batch due to the dankness/cat piss aroma and flavors. I thought I screwed up and made an IPA by mistake.

Fast forward another 3 weeks and it's absolutely delicious and have gotten numerous compliments. Next time though, I might substitute some Citra during the boil.

Back