Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > American Ale > All Citra Pale Ale

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-16-2013, 02:59 PM   #11
RedOktoberfest
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Ah, the age old trade-off. I'm a fan of maltier beers, so maybe I'll keep the full pound in. All good info though. If the crystal is too distracting then I'll know where to look.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-23-2013, 12:04 AM   #12
RedOktoberfest
Recipes 

I'm looking for a substitute for the Nottingham. Would Wyeast American ale or British ale work interchangeably?

Old 04-23-2013, 04:33 AM   #13
JRapp
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 17

I would use the American Ale, I generally like the outcome of it and use it often. I only went with nottingham because I was on a tight budget.

Old 04-23-2013, 02:45 PM   #14
Jayhem
Recipes 

Liked 257 Times on 208 Posts
Likes Given: 1163

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRapp View Post
Jayhem I get what your saying, If you wanted to truly showcase a hop cut back on that toasty/sweet to truly let the hops shine. Honestly the beer is amazing as is though, but I'm going to brew another batch in a few weeks(this time Amarillo), maybe I'll give it a try with reduced caramel and see how it turns out...but maybe not.

Dont fix whats not broken?
If you never change your recipe you'll never know if you might like it a little different. I have made my "House Pale Ale" recipe 7 times now and every time I tweak it just a little...eventually you find that you really like something more than the previous version of the same recipe and that is how Epic Beers are created!

One thing I have learned about pale ales: The hop flavor and aroma will be dominant for the first week or 2 after carbonation but then it will fade into the background and more of the malt will come through and it will taste about the same from week 3-10.

I have also learned that if you want maximum hop aroma and flavor you are better off bottling your beer and keeping the beer at 60-70F until you are ready to drink it. If you chill it only an hour or 2 before you drink it maximum hop aroma is retained. If you chill it for days or weeks before enjoying you will notice significantly less hop aroma/flavor.

Next up: American Pale Ale
Primary 1&2: American Brown Ale
Primary 3&4: Hopped up Belgian Tripel
Bottle Conditioning/drinking: Summer Kolsch, White Zombie (Amarillo IPA), English Pale Ale (ESB)

Old 04-23-2013, 07:28 PM   #15
fayderek14
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

What type of yeast did you use?

Old 04-23-2013, 08:22 PM   #16
techbrewie
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 19 Posts

Citra is by far my favorite hop. have a Citra single hop IPA on brew toad that is excellent.

Brew long and Prosper... May the wort be with you... Yippeekayay master brewers... You had me at free beer.

Old 04-23-2013, 11:28 PM   #17
RedOktoberfest
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fayderek14
What type of yeast did you use?
The app doesn't show the header which indicates j used dynastar Nottingham. I was thinking wyeast American ale 1

Old 04-24-2013, 12:01 AM   #18
JRapp
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Hey Jay, now that the beer is a little older I might have switched to your way of thinking. The bold hops have mellowed out a bit and its still a very delicious beer, but if you truly want to taste and smell those hops past the 1 month mark I will ease back on the caramel a wee bit and maybe even go with a full oz in the last 5 minutes or flame out.

My beers normally dont last this long so I rarely think about shelf life, but I am on a bit of a diet....

Red, if ya aint made it yet you might wanna try that tweak, if you did make it it will still be amazing

Old 04-29-2013, 05:31 PM   #19
Jayhem
Recipes 

Liked 257 Times on 208 Posts
Likes Given: 1163

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRapp View Post
Hey Jay, now that the beer is a little older I might have switched to your way of thinking. The bold hops have mellowed out a bit and its still a very delicious beer, but if you truly want to taste and smell those hops past the 1 month mark I will ease back on the caramel a wee bit and maybe even go with a full oz in the last 5 minutes or flame out.

My beers normally dont last this long so I rarely think about shelf life, but I am on a bit of a diet....

Red, if ya aint made it yet you might wanna try that tweak, if you did make it it will still be amazing
I'm still drinking my Citra pale ale, been over a month since it was carbonated. It's still great but the hop aroma has drastically faded. I use 1.5 oz of hops (Citra/Cascade) at flame out and 1.5 dry hop per 5 gallons. This is by far my favorite session beer of all time.

Next up: American Pale Ale
Primary 1&2: American Brown Ale
Primary 3&4: Hopped up Belgian Tripel
Bottle Conditioning/drinking: Summer Kolsch, White Zombie (Amarillo IPA), English Pale Ale (ESB)

Old 04-29-2013, 05:44 PM   #20
HomeBrewerB
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRapp
6.6lb golden Light LME
1lb light DME
1lb Caramel 20L
-Steeped in 2 gallons for 25 min, then topped up to 3 1/2 gallons to start the boil.

Started off boiling 3.3lb LME and started hop additions, added rest of LME and DME at 10m mark. Wanted a nice light color on this, which I got.

.5oz Citra(13.9) @ 25m
.5oz Citra(13.9) @ 15m (also added irish moss at this point)
.5oz Citra(13.9) @ 5m
.5oz Citra(13.9) @ 1m
1oz Citra dry hop for 10 days

I brewed this up because I never tried Citra, and really wanted to get a good feel for the hop. Was concerned it would be overwhelming, but it turned out fantastic with crazy fruity notes. Good body, great aroma and head. Flavor and bitterness are spot on.

Took it to my new brew club, everyone confirmed my suspicion that it was good, so I dont think its just me......
So is this still a 60 min boil or do you just start the full boil for 25 minutes?
Thanks!
Drinking: Caribou Slobber Brown Ale, California Wheat, Irish Red
Up Next: Extra Pale Ale, Blonde RYE

Quick Reply