Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > American Ale > Aberdeen Brewery - Session Haus Ale (3.5%), AG

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-18-2007, 06:05 PM   #11
mew
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BierMuncher
This method is not best for heavy grain bills, but a light beer like this it's great.
Why should it not be used for larger grain bills?
Keg 2: Empty

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-18-2007, 07:45 PM   #12
BierMuncher
...My Junk is Ugly...
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 582 Times on 342 Posts
Likes Given: 214

Quote:
Originally Posted by mew
Why should it not be used for larger grain bills?
A heavier, more complex grain bill will always do better with a longer settling time...just to let the flavors mellow and meld. ALso gives the yeast some time to clean up after itself after a more robust fermentation.

And by heavy..I mean anything over the 1.055 range.

I'll still add gelatin when the secondary has had time to mature in order to clear the tank.

Old 11-13-2007, 10:32 PM   #13
Mutilated1
Beer Drenched Executioner
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 1

This looks like such a great beer. I'm going to try it this weekend.

I'm kind of nervous about making a low gravity beer though, since I'm a new brewer. Some people have advised me to choose a higher gravity beer for the first batch or two so I have more margin of error should I miss the gravity.

Do you think it would hurt the recipe much if I went to say 8-8.5 of the Pale Malt ? I don't mean to imply that I'd improve on your recipe, I was just thinking it might give me a little more room for error in case I have problems with the gravity.

Old 11-13-2007, 10:36 PM   #14
BierMuncher
...My Junk is Ugly...
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutilated1
This looks like such a great beer. I'm going to try it this weekend.

I'm kind of nervous about making a low gravity beer though, since I'm a new brewer. Some people have advised me to choose a higher gravity beer for the first batch or two so I have more margin of error should I miss the gravity.

Do you think it would hurt the recipe much if I went to say 8-8.5 of the Pale Malt ? I don't mean to imply that I'd improve on your recipe, I was just thinking it might give me a little more room for error in case I have problems with the gravity.
By all means...cater any recipe to your liking. I did Edworts Haus ale at 4%. (his lawyer is in touch with my lawyer )

Do you use Beersmit or some other program? What you'll want to do is adjust your hops to compensate for the extra grain. Use the chart in the original post to maintain the right hops/grain profile.

Old 11-14-2007, 02:36 PM   #15
Mutilated1
Beer Drenched Executioner
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I didn't realize I would need to adjust my hops to account for the extra grain.

I don't really want a higher gravity or higher alcohol, I just want a little wiggle room in case my efficency is not that great when I'm mashing/lautering the grains.

Do you think I might be better off to just stock up on some Pre-Hopped DME just in case I end up way off on the OG, and then stick with the original recipe ?

One of the things that appeals to me about this recipe is that its pretty simple, not a lot of additions and it seems like less room for error. I don't think I want to add extra grain after all if its going to effect the recipe that much.

Old 11-14-2007, 03:29 PM   #16
BierMuncher
...My Junk is Ugly...
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutilated1
I didn't realize I would need to adjust my hops to account for the extra grain.

I don't really want a higher gravity or higher alcohol, I just want a little wiggle room in case my efficency is not that great when I'm mashing/lautering the grains.

Do you think I might be better off to just stock up on some Pre-Hopped DME just in case I end up way off on the OG, and then stick with the original recipe ?

One of the things that appeals to me about this recipe is that its pretty simple, not a lot of additions and it seems like less room for error. I don't think I want to add extra grain after all if its going to effect the recipe that much.
I’d say go ahead and add your extra grains and don’t worry about the hops ratio then. This isn’t a real hopped up beer anyway. More for the non-hop lover.

Try and stick to keeping it all-grain, but if you have some DME on hand, don’t hesitate to adjust the final (cooled) gravity by boiling up a bit, cooling and adding to the wort.

Think of any recipe as the baseline for your beer. Your process, your technique and your equipment will all contribute some differences to the final product…making it uniquely yours.

Check Out My Rolling Kegerator

BierMuncher Tried & Trues:
Tits-Up IIPA (3-Time Medalist), Black Pearl Porter, Kona Pale Ale, Outer Limits IPA, Centennial Blonde (4.0%), Nierra Sevada (SNPA), SWMBO Slayer Belgian Blonde,

Old 03-09-2009, 12:40 PM   #17
kornbread
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Default I've brewed another one of Biermuncher's recipes

I've had very good luck with your recipes so far. So, I brewed 5 gals of this one yesterday. I dropped the grain bill a little because I've been getting better than 80% efficiency. Also I changed the aroma hops. I'm a little "burned out" on cascades. (It seems that most of my brews have some cascades/centenial/amarillo.) So, I went with some Kent Goldings that I had on hand for the aroma addition at :05 minutes. I'm not sure how much that will change it from the original.

I ended up with just under 5 gals in the bucket. I tested it and it was 1.044. So I topped it up to 5.5 and that dropped it to 1.040.

I'll let you know how it turns out. The hydro sample tasted very promising.

Old 04-29-2009, 02:53 PM   #18
Mustangj

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Brewing it now.

Michigan Mashers
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/groups/michigan-mashers/

Old 04-29-2009, 07:14 PM   #19
BierMuncher
...My Junk is Ugly...
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustangj View Post
Brewing it now.
Excellent

mrburns.jpg

Check Out My Rolling Kegerator

BierMuncher Tried & Trues:
Tits-Up IIPA (3-Time Medalist), Black Pearl Porter, Kona Pale Ale, Outer Limits IPA, Centennial Blonde (4.0%), Nierra Sevada (SNPA), SWMBO Slayer Belgian Blonde,

Old 11-28-2009, 03:18 AM   #20
waldoar15
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

I just put one of these in primary. Sounds like a nice session beer.

Quick Reply