Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > American Ale > Aberdeen Brewery - Session Haus Ale (3.5%), AG

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-28-2007, 03:02 PM   #1
BierMuncher
...My Junk is Ugly...
HBT_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 581 Times on 342 Posts
Likes Given: 213

Default Aberdeen Brewery - Session Haus Ale (3.5%), AG

Recipe Type: All Grain
Yeast: Nottingham
Yeast Starter: Nope
Batch Size (Gallons): 11
Original Gravity: 1.040
Final Gravity: 1.013
IBU: 19.6
Boiling Time (Minutes): 70
Color: 3.8
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 5 Days at 68 Degrees
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 5 Days (with Glelatin) at 68 Degrees

I brewed this a few weeks ago in preparation for a small party at the house. A bunch of the SWMBO’s work friends who have had zero exposure to homebrew were coming over. It was a combination end of summer, back to school (they’re all teachers) BBQ. I whipped up this super easy beer and it was a huge hit. Very lite. Very crisp. Just the right balance of malt and bitterness, low IBU and hop aroma and very reminiscent of a pilsner.

Plus at 3.5%, I felt very comfortable having both taps flowing. I couldn’t wait to brew it again so it’s on deck for this weekend.

If you’re looking for a super easy brew that appeals to all audiences and is a great session ale, this is a can’t miss. If you prefer a hoppier edition, I’d suggest dry hopping an ounce of cascade in the keg or in the secondary.

Batch Size: 11.00 gal
Boil Size: 13.00 gal
Estimated OG: 1.040 SG
Estimated Color: 3.8 SRM
session_haus_color.jpg
Estimated IBU: 19.6 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.0 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes
Estimated ABV%: 3.5%

session-haus-ale_hopsratio.jpg

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item
14.00 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM)
1.00 lb Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM)
1.00 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 10L (10.0 SRM)
1.00 lb Vienna Malt (3.5 SRM)
0.50 oz Simco Hops [12.00%] (60 min)
0.50 oz Pearle [8.00%] (60 min)
0.50 oz Cascade [6.60%] (5 min)
1 Pkgs Nottingham (Danstar #-)

Mash at 153 degrees for 80 minutes.

If you want to do a five gallon batch, simply cut the ingredients in half.

TASTING NOTES: This was a great beer. The SWMBO loves it. Very crisp and low hop aroma. Makes a great simple house beer that any beer lover will like. Great clarity. Good color and nice mild aroma. It comes highly recommended as an AG recipe for someone wanting to brew for a wide audience.

happyfri_4.jpg

Last edited by BierMuncher; 09-16-2007 at 08:31 PM.
People Like This 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-07-2007, 12:47 AM   #2
kebrown

Recipes 

Default Conditioning

After the secondary fermentation how long did you condition this brew and at what temperature. This sounds like a great recipe. I want to try and brew it soon.

Thanks in advance

Old 09-07-2007, 10:57 PM   #3
BierMuncher
...My Junk is Ugly...
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Brown
After the secondary fermentation how long did you condition this brew and at what temperature. This sounds like a great recipe. I want to try and brew it soon.

Thanks in advance
Adding unflavored gelatin (2.5 Tsps mixed and dissolved in 1 cup of hot water, buy it at your local grocery store) to the secondary, it will clear up within 3-4 days.

I keg, so I force carb’d at 37 degrees and within days it was drinkable and we tapped the keg for company within a week of kegging.

If you bottle, allow the normal 21 days at 70 degrees to carbonate. This is a light ABV beer, so it is very fast from brew, to glass.

The definition of “fresh” beer.

Old 09-27-2007, 01:16 AM   #4
kebrown

Recipes 

BierMuncher,

I tried this recipe and just had my first taste and it was great (see picture). I followed your directions and it turned out fantastic. This was my first all grain brew session and exceeded my expectations. I have your SWMBO Slayer - Belgian Blonde in the primary now and can't wait to try a mug of it.

Thanks for sharing.

Keg:
Pliny the Elder Clone

Secondary:
Centennial Blonde Ale
Irish Black Ale

Beer Fridge
Pliny the Elder
Saint Arnolds Endevour Double IPA
Three Floyd;s Dreadnaught Double IPA
Three Floyd's Artic Panzor Wolf Double IPA
Stone 16th Anniversary IPA
1 case of Bell's Hop Slam Double IPA
2 cases Sierra Nevada Hoptimum Imperial IPA
Avery Mahraja Imperial IPA
Pliny the Elder

Old 09-27-2007, 01:52 PM   #5
BierMuncher
...My Junk is Ugly...
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

I'm glad you liked it. It's a staple around here.

Seems to be the first one that people line up for when they come over. Nottoo hoppy. Low-moderate ABV%. And it's a great beer for washing down food.

Old 10-03-2007, 08:25 PM   #6
bigben
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BierMuncher
I'm glad you liked it. It's a staple around here.

Seems to be the first one that people line up for when they come over. Nottoo hoppy. Low-moderate ABV%. And it's a great beer for washing down food.

You are a savior to me

I'm having a Halloween party on 10/27 and I want to have a beer ready. I will be brewing this Saturday, 10/06, (if my equipment comes). I just ordered a Bayou Classic SP10 and will be getting a pot and IC from the homebrew store.

So that leaves me 3 weeks from brew day to party, and this sounds like a perfect fit!!!! And not to hard for my first AG!!! WOOOOT!

Old 10-03-2007, 08:42 PM   #7
BierMuncher
...My Junk is Ugly...
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigben
You are a savior to me

I'm having a Halloween party on 10/27 and I want to have a beer ready. I will be brewing this Saturday, 10/06, (if my equipment comes). I just ordered a Bayou Classic SP10 and will be getting a pot and IC from the homebrew store.

So that leaves me 3 weeks from brew day to party, and this sounds like a perfect fit!!!! And not to hard for my first AG!!! WOOOOT!
I see you keg. That's good. Can you get your hands on some unflavored gelatin?

If so:

Dissolve 2 tsps (per five gallon batch) of unflavored gelatin in a cup of water and let sit for 45 minutes. Then heat over stove until almost boiling, or until completely dissolved. Let cool for about 20 minutes. (doesn't have to be completely cooled).

While racking to secondary, about half way through, add the gleatin mix. (No need to agitate any further).

This will greatly enhance the clarity of the beer in the secondary. You should be able to rack to a keg within 2-3 days. Then get the keg chilled and gassed and keep it chilled. You should have enough time to get past the chill haze.

This method is not best for heavy grain bills, but a light beer like this it's great.

Check Out My Rolling Kegerator

BierMuncher Tried & Trues:
Tits-Up IIPA (3-Time Medalist), Black Pearl Porter, Kona Pale Ale, Outer Limits IPA, Centennial Blonde (4.0%), Nierra Sevada (SNPA), SWMBO Slayer Belgian Blonde,

Old 10-03-2007, 08:52 PM   #8
bigben
Recipes 

Yes, I do keg...just started on my last batch.

I have read about using gelatin, but it freaks me out, lol. What happens to it in the beer? Does it all settle to the bottom? What if you transfer it to the keg, is it safe?

I dont think my burner is gonna get here by this weekend, so I may be screwed...we'll see.

Old 10-03-2007, 09:07 PM   #9
BierMuncher
...My Junk is Ugly...
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigben
Yes, I do keg...just started on my last batch.

I have read about using gelatin, but it freaks me out, lol. What happens to it in the beer? Does it all settle to the bottom? What if you transfer it to the keg, is it safe?

I dont think my burner is gonna get here by this weekend, so I may be screwed...we'll see.
It will settle to the bottom of your secondary and any remnants that make it to the keg will settle again, once chilled. It is flavorless and odorless.

Inflavored gelatin is sold with baking goods in the gorcery store. It's ll food grade.

Check Out My Rolling Kegerator

BierMuncher Tried & Trues:
Tits-Up IIPA (3-Time Medalist), Black Pearl Porter, Kona Pale Ale, Outer Limits IPA, Centennial Blonde (4.0%), Nierra Sevada (SNPA), SWMBO Slayer Belgian Blonde,

Old 10-06-2007, 05:00 AM   #10
slimer

Recipes 

I'll take that under consideration when I transfer my Canadian Ale to the secondary on Monday. Thanks!!

Quick Reply