Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > American Ale > Extract - 15 Minute Cascade Pale Ale

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-24-2011, 10:47 PM   #31
togodoug
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wcarter1227 View Post
This recipe was designed to be a quick turn around. With extract you are only really sanitizing the extract with the boil as the maltster has done a mash and conversion. Also with this recipe the hop amounts are upped a lot. If you were to do a longer boil you would want to adjust the hop amounts to compensate for that or you will end up with an extremely bitter beer.
in general, if I come up with an extract recepe and shave some time on the boil, like say a 50 min boil or 45, you think it would come out okay, just be a bit week on the hops? So I throw in an extra oz. at the start and all is well?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-25-2011, 04:45 PM   #32
wcarter1227
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 4 Posts

use a website like hopville.com or use some kind of brewing software to help you recalculate the needed ibus based on the modified boil time to keep the beer balanced and within the style guidelines

primary:15 minute Cascade Pale Ale
Primary 2: Cream of 3 crops
Primary 3: Sam Adams Holiday Porter Clone
bottled:BM's Blue Balls Belgian Wit
15 Minute Cascade Pale Ale
DryHopped Cream of 3 Crops
http://hopville.com/brewer/wcarter1227

Old 06-22-2011, 02:28 AM   #33
summerofgeorge
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I brewed this about a month ago and will be kegging it soon. I'm also going to be making BM's Centennial Blonde again very soon. Think this would be a good yeast cake to reuse for that?

Old 06-22-2011, 12:47 PM   #34
cincybrewer
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by heeler View Post
Gents, I made this and it's easy enough for a beginner is right After being in the primary for ten days I added 5 lbs of frozen strawberries but omitted the last addition of hops (dry hop cascades) just trying something different and hopping for the best. We'll just see what happens.
How'd it turn out?

Old 06-23-2011, 07:17 PM   #35
heeler
Recipes 

Well I gotta say, the beer itself smelled great even once the ferment was finished. THEN I added strawberries and it still smelled pretty good.....once it was in the bottles and conditioned for 14 days I cracked one open and OMG, it was terrible tasting. I figgered leave it for 2 more weeks and see what we get, well I ruined a pretty good beer with that fruit. I will make this again by following the recipe and try not to use my pee sized brain.

Old 06-24-2011, 01:33 PM   #36
Tir727
Recipes 

Sorry to hear the Strawberries burned you...

This is a follow up with my results of two variations of the 15-Min Ale concept. Both batches are now in kegs now and go down smoothly.

The Simcoe/Centennial/Glacier version came out quite good with the citrus flavor and aroma you would expect. The WLP051 did a great job. Chill haze remains, but is only a slight annoyance and doesn't bother me too much.

The Chinook/Centennial/Glacier version was made with caramunich substitued for crystal and WLP041. Wow, did that yeast take a long time to finish...3 weeks in all before gravity bottomed out. This beer came out ok, but I over did the maltiness (for my taste) by using the caramunich and a malty-finishing yeast. However, the hoppiness is pretty good with the piney-citrusy flavor and aroma you would expect. Chill haze here too. I'm thinking the short boil doesn't provide enough time for the reactions that normally limit haze. But again, no big deal and a fair trade for a shortened brew day...when needed.

Both beers are pretty good on their own and I will make them again with slight tweaks. So after having critiqued both brews, I "accidentialy on porupose" filled up a pitcher with a 50/50 mix of the two figuring...what the hell! It was great! The flavors and aromas intensified and the body was rich evening out the malt-flavor balance. Combining the two added a level of complexity that the two simple brews ddin't have on their own. Three beers for the price of two...cool!

Kids...making me nuts since 2007!

Old 09-07-2011, 12:54 AM   #37
malweth
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 159

I bottled this about a week ago (I always like to try one after a week in the bottle and a couple days in the fridge).

Obviously not enough carbonation, a bit bready, and cloudy from the yeast (though we'll see how well that clears)... but the flavor is very nice - like a not so hoppy SNPA. It's also quite dry, which is good for a session beer.

I used double-oh-seven yeast.

[Carboy #1] "Oud Renard Rood" Flanders Red
[Carboy #2] Whitewood 12° Abt
[Carboy #3] Opus Mosaic Brown

[On Tap (Keg)]
(L) Shut De Do (Belgian Golden Strong / Tripel)
(R)
(on deck) Pineapple Wine
(on deck) Russian Imperial Stout (1 year aged)

Old 09-15-2011, 11:48 AM   #38
Shawnylocks
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 6

would you use anything like irish moss to clarify it?

Old 09-16-2011, 02:34 AM   #39
malweth
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 159

Damn, this is a good beer. The yeasty flavor is gone now... tastes a lot like a SNPA, it's just got a heck of a haze.

I used Irish moss. I wonder if I didn't get a good hot break because of the reduced boil time? 15 minutes should be enough, though.

More likely it hasn't had enough time to sit and clear. The dry hopping and other trub may be a factor. It tastes good, though, so it doesn't matter.

[Carboy #1] "Oud Renard Rood" Flanders Red
[Carboy #2] Whitewood 12° Abt
[Carboy #3] Opus Mosaic Brown

[On Tap (Keg)]
(L) Shut De Do (Belgian Golden Strong / Tripel)
(R)
(on deck) Pineapple Wine
(on deck) Russian Imperial Stout (1 year aged)

Old 10-30-2011, 11:07 PM   #40
wcarter1227
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by malweth View Post
Damn, this is a good beer. The yeasty flavor is gone now... tastes a lot like a SNPA, it's just got a heck of a haze.

I used Irish moss. I wonder if I didn't get a good hot break because of the reduced boil time? 15 minutes should be enough, though.

More likely it hasn't had enough time to sit and clear. The dry hopping and other trub may be a factor. It tastes good, though, so it doesn't matter.
This beer took about 2 months to fully clear in the bottle, there is a lot of hops in this beer due to the shortened boil time. be patient with it. I have had wonderful results and if you look at the original picture and a few posts later I added a pic that was a few months in the bottle its extremely clear.

If you can get past the haze you will find this is a great beer to keep the pipeline going.

primary:15 minute Cascade Pale Ale
Primary 2: Cream of 3 crops
Primary 3: Sam Adams Holiday Porter Clone
bottled:BM's Blue Balls Belgian Wit
15 Minute Cascade Pale Ale
DryHopped Cream of 3 Crops
http://hopville.com/brewer/wcarter1227

Quick Reply