Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > American Ale > Extract - 15 Minute Cascade Pale Ale

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-28-2011, 11:58 PM   #21
wcarter1227
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by heeler View Post
Finally made this recipe and hoping for the best, my question is this...
did anyone use a hop bag???? I did not and also did anyone strain out the leftover hop mass before adding to the fermenter????
It was a softball sized mass and after getting my beer in the fermenter and getting rid of the hops I went oh s**t should I have left all the in there???? I know the recipe calls for dry hops so it will have some more added but just hoping I did'nt ruin the final outcome.
I didnt use a hop bag when I dry hopped or in the boil kettle. I just dumped everything straight in the fermenter. It will be just fine, you may have a cloudy beer at the beggining but that will settle out over time.

primary:15 minute Cascade Pale Ale
Primary 2: Cream of 3 crops
Primary 3: Sam Adams Holiday Porter Clone
bottled:BM's Blue Balls Belgian Wit
15 Minute Cascade Pale Ale
DryHopped Cream of 3 Crops
http://hopville.com/brewer/wcarter1227

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-29-2011, 12:13 AM   #22
wcarter1227
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 4 Posts

Just took an update pic from a bottle that is about 6 months old. Still tastes damn good, has cleared up quite a bit. The hop nose has kind of gone away.

206433_1925310581174_1494445709_2102504_746530_s.jpg  

Old 04-29-2011, 12:24 AM   #23
Lgaddy44
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 5

That's nice and simple. I've just recruited a new homebrewer, possibly two. I'll have to pass this recipe along to them, I'm sure it will be well received to a couple of new guys cutting their teeth. Thanks!

Old 05-08-2011, 01:45 PM   #24
heeler
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lgaddy44
That's nice and simple. I've just recruited a new homebrewer, possibly two. I'll have to pass this recipe along to them, I'm sure it will be well received to a couple of new guys cutting their teeth. Thanks!
Gents, I made this and it's easy enough for a beginner is right After being in the primary for ten days I added 5 lbs of frozen strawberries but omitted the last addition of hops (dry hop cascades) just trying something different and hopping for the best. We'll just see what happens.

Old 05-16-2011, 01:22 PM   #25
heeler
Recipes 

While bottling this the berry aroma was quite nice but the visual was a little yucky. The berries had a funky look about them ;( kinda off color and none too pretty????? Condition 2 weeks & see what we get!!!!!

Old 05-21-2011, 09:14 PM   #26
summerofgeorge
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruggierm1 View Post
I agree that this is a great recipe for a quick and simple brewday. I've brewed 2 batches of this with amarillo hops (that's what I had around), and both have turned out awesome. It's also a quick drinker. No extended aging necessary.
How long did you let it sit? The recipe has 30 days primary, 7 days secondary. I'm hoping for a quicker turnaround and wondered how long you aged it.

Old 05-23-2011, 12:59 AM   #27
togodoug
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wcarter1227 View Post
This is a very simple pale for a brewer of any level of experience. While I enjoy doing my All Grain beers, I still brew this beer from time to time. The plus is that you only have to boil the beer for 15 minutes and you are done. So we are looking at a 2 hour brew day including clean up with a wonderful tasting hoppy yet sweet caramel flavored pale ale. And since its extract and with such a big hop bill you only need to boil the extract for 15 MINUTES!

Pours a nice copper/reddish color with a 1 finger head that sticks around leaving a nice lacing down the glass.

Grain/Extracts

6lbs Light Dry Malt Extract added to the boil
1lbs Crystal 60 add the grains to the water and steep until the water temp reaches 170 and pull them out.

Hops

2.5oz Cascade 7.5% AA at 15 min
1oz Cascade 7.5%aa at 5 min
.50 oz Cascade 7.5% at flameout
1oz Cascade 7.5% dry hop 7 days after primary fermentation has wrapped up.

This beer is great with notty as I typically use notty on my beers I want to ferment on the cooler side. I imagine any clean fermenting yeast would do well. If you want some fruity esters I have done this recipe twice with s-04.
I'm wondering why this is good in 15 min instead of an hour, any how a longer, say 30 min, boil would effect it?

Old 05-23-2011, 02:10 PM   #28
wcarter1227
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by summerofgeorge View Post
How long did you let it sit? The recipe has 30 days primary, 7 days secondary. I'm hoping for a quicker turnaround and wondered how long you aged it.
I only do long primaries of at least 30 days. I skip secondaries unless I am adding fruit. The first reason is that the yeast typically need a good 2 weeks after primary to clean up the nasty biproducts that they create during primary. Moving the beer off the yeast cake doesnt give the yeast a chance to clean up after themselves. Also the longer it sits the more clearer it will get as the yeast will compact and fall out of suspension.

I typically dry hop beers after primary fermentation is done. This beer fermented for 2 weeks, then i added the dry hops for 2 weeks all in the same bucket.

Old 05-23-2011, 02:12 PM   #29
wcarter1227
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by togodoug View Post
I'm wondering why this is good in 15 min instead of an hour, any how a longer, say 30 min, boil would effect it?
This recipe was designed to be a quick turn around. With extract you are only really sanitizing the extract with the boil as the maltster has done a mash and conversion. Also with this recipe the hop amounts are upped a lot. If you were to do a longer boil you would want to adjust the hop amounts to compensate for that or you will end up with an extremely bitter beer.

Old 05-23-2011, 05:57 PM   #30
Tir727
Recipes 

Default Thanks for the idea

Less time to brew with 2 little ones running around the house. Anyway...

I've got two "15 Minute" batches going as we speak; one with 7.5/1.0lbs of LME/crystal, simcoe/centennial/glacier, WLP051 and the other with 8.25/1.0lbs of LME/caramunich, chinook/centennial/glacier, WLP041. I'm following advice from White Labs FAQs for WLP041 Pacific Ale and trying to keep fermentation around 65 degrees F.

I'll let you know how they turn out.

img00265-20110522-0942.jpg  

Kids...making me nuts since 2007!

Last edited by Tir727; 05-24-2011 at 05:47 PM.

Quick Reply