Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > American Ale > Extract - 15 Minute Cascade Pale Ale

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-19-2013, 12:24 AM   #231
Jonk4
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I brewed this recipe yesterday. It was my second time brewing. So...it boiled over after the first addition of hops, so I lost some wort and some of the hops. It seemed darker than the pictures I've seen posted on the thread, and I was using a turkey fryer. I've heard that might cause a problem. Lastly; I don't think there was enough headspace in my bucket that I'm using as a primary. I had left over wort that I couldn't fit in the bucket so I tossed it rather than fill up the bucket even more. I had to rig up a blow off hose, but there is some leakage. I am encouraged that this beer seems to be a successful recipe even if I've screwed up a bit.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-19-2013, 12:51 AM   #232
RoughandReadyRanch
Recipes 

Liked 60 Times on 49 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonk4 View Post
I brewed this recipe yesterday. It was my second time brewing. So...it boiled over after the first addition of hops, so I lost some wort and some of the hops. It seemed darker than the pictures I've seen posted on the thread, and I was using a turkey fryer. I've heard that might cause a problem. Lastly; I don't think there was enough headspace in my bucket that I'm using as a primary. I had left over wort that I couldn't fit in the bucket so I tossed it rather than fill up the bucket even more. I had to rig up a blow off hose, but there is some leakage. I am encouraged that this beer seems to be a successful recipe even if I've screwed up a bit.
I had a boil over too! Good call on the toss out as well as I had plenty of room and a blow off tube and I still got to clean the keezer/fermenter as this thing blew off my blow off and made a nice mess. Let me know what you think when all is said and done as I am sitting on my keg at this time as like I posted before it lost a lot of flavor and tastes pretty bad now. Not infected, just overly malted crap. Not sure where I screwed up as all the replies from the OP are after a 6 month rest so I am not sure if this is a normal outcome on the way to amazing that was missed due to bottling or if this is due to something else.

Old 06-19-2013, 05:09 PM   #233
rideincircles
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 6

My current batch of this was the first beer I have kegged, and second time I have made this recipe. So far I have used Bry-97 both times which has a long lag phase and also needs a blowoff tube. I have changed up my hops both times also. The first time using 4 oz of cascade for a 20 minute boil and dry-hopped with an oz of citra and the second time using 4 oz Centennial with a 20 minute boil and dry hopped with 1/2 oz motueka, 1/2 oz sorachi ace and 1 oz of citra. Both batches have been awesome, and I plan to make this a house beer due to simplicity and the fact that I was drinking it in less than 3 weeks after force carbing it. It also made it to second round of bluebonnet competition with 70 entries.

This is now tried and true in my book. Simple, awesome and quick. The extra price for ingredients is worth the speed and time saved.

Started brewing February 2012:
All grain and partial mash brewer depending on time. Meads and apfelwein also.

Old 06-19-2013, 05:57 PM   #234
Jonk4
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

What has been the general primary fermentation time? I was going to go for three weeks, then bottle. I used Citra and Centennial in hopping this and will dry hop with an ounce of Citra. Hopefully it will give a nice floral and citrus aroma. Brewtoad shows this at 5.2 ABV and 40 IBU's which was what I was aiming at. With the lost hops after the boil over I hope it won't drop too much.

Old 06-27-2013, 10:19 PM   #235
Spartangreen
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Opened my first one today. This is a really good Pale Ale. I will be making this again. Possibly applying the extra hops shorter boiling time theory to other beers.
3 weeks in the primary fermenter @ 62F. Dry hopped for the last 7 days. 3 weeks bottle conditioning.
Great Beer!

image-3068192973.jpg  

Old 06-29-2013, 12:33 PM   #236
HarkinBanks
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Just made two batches this week. One all mosaic with c-20 and s-05 and one all centennial with c-40 and s-05. I love the simplicity of this recipe. Can't wait to try them.

Old 07-05-2013, 10:13 PM   #237
TedsExcellentAdventure
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 52 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 16

making an all mosaic version of this tonight

1 lb 20L Crystal
3.3 lb Golden Light LME (20 min boil, start of boil)
1 oz Mosaic (AA 12.7, Beta 3.6) 20 min
3.3 lb Golden Light LME 10 min
1 oz Mosaic 5 min
1 0z Mosaic flameout

cant wait!

if this one turns out as well as I'm thinking, I'm going to do a mango version :-)

Primary: White IPA
Secondary: IPA
Bottled and serving: IPA, Belgian Saison, Maple Ale

"Beer speaks, people mumble." - Lagunitas

Old 07-08-2013, 04:14 PM   #238
Jonk4
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I bottled this yesterday and boy did it taste great! Now I'm sitting on two cases of a mighty fine Pale Ale. I will definitely be making this one again. I'll post some pictures after a few weeks bottle conditioning and see if the taste has changed at all.

Old 07-09-2013, 12:06 AM   #239
r3dapples
Recipes 

i halved this recipe, and thinking that it was for 6-gallons (don't know why), i went ahead and used 3-gallons of water in total. but i bottled this about a week ago and it's actually turning out really great so far! this was only my second batch of brew, but it is far better than the beer i made from an English Brown Kit.

Old 07-09-2013, 03:19 AM   #240
CrookedTail
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 24 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartangreen View Post
Opened my first one today. This is a really good Pale Ale. I will be making this again. Possibly applying the extra hops shorter boiling time theory to other beers.
3 weeks in the primary fermenter @ 62F. Dry hopped for the last 7 days. 3 weeks bottle conditioning.
Great Beer!
Looks great!

With a kid on the way, I've been thinking of ways to shorten the time investment that brewing demands. This is just what the doctor ordered. I already know what hop-bursting can add to a beer flavor-wise, as my IPA recipe is almost entirely hopped in the final 15 minutes.

I'm definitely going to try brewing this, and might even try applying this concept to some of my other extract recipes.

Quick Reply