Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > American Ale > Extract - 15 Minute Cascade Pale Ale

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-06-2013, 08:05 PM   #121
chemdoc
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by chronoclast

Ok so I brewed this last night. Bubbling very nicely right now as I type this.

Steep - 2 gallons
Boil - 4 gallons
Post Boil - 3.8 gallons (so a little bit more than 3.5)

11oz Crystal 60
4LB Golden Light DME
2oz Corn Sugar

1.3 oz Citra (14.1a%) @ 15 min
.55 oz Citra @ 10 min
.35 oz Citra @ 5 min
.35 oz Citra @ Flameout

1/2tsp Irish Moss @ 10 min

Pitched rehydrated Nottingham Yeast.

OG - 1.050 (although my thermometer broke moments before so I don't know the temp of the wort to make the proper adjustment)

Going to ferment in 5gal glass carboy until gravity stays same for three days, then dry hop 1oz Citra for 7 days. All just in the primary.

Had a couple mistakes. The one listed above about the temperature of my wort sample for measuring OG. Also forgot to put grain bag or strainer over funnel when pouring wort into carboy. I'll just tie a grain bag to the end of my auto-syphon when I rack to keg.

Took me a little over two hours counting clean up. Could probably get this done in under two hours with wort chiller though.
Looks good. Although you adjusted the amounts, I'm curious to see how the higher %aa and more pronounced flavor profile on the Citra will come through. Keep us posted. I think I might try a 2.5 gallon test batch with Citra for comparison with the Cascade version. Cheers.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-07-2013, 03:59 AM   #122
ArizonaGoalie
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkingery79 View Post
Keep us posted I like the sound of this.
Well, I fubared this one. Watching football, drinking beer, and brewing made me FORGET I was going to add orange peel and coriander to the boil

So, it was a plain old 15 minute cascade with s-04. Still delicious, but no experimenting w/ the extras.

Next time!!

Old 01-07-2013, 04:04 AM   #123
ArizonaGoalie
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaGoalie View Post
Well, I fubared this one. Watching football, drinking beer, and brewing made me FORGET I was going to add orange peel and coriander to the boil

So, it was a plain old 15 minute cascade with s-04. Still delicious, but no experimenting w/ the extras.

Next time!!
BTW - it's 24 hours and it's been going apes**t since very early this morning. I was up at 6am and it was already bubbling like mad. Still going crazy at 8pm tonight.

Old 01-08-2013, 06:01 AM   #124
rideincircles
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supergus View Post
Even though a 15 min boil is an easy brew day, I still had a few mishaps....1. I thought I had my alarm set fot 170, and then I would take the grains out, but I accidentally turned off the alarm. By the time I check on the grains, it was at 180! Yikes!
Mistake 2 was i decided to use my 7 gal kettle, The wort literally jumped out of the kettle once I added the hops!
My only real concern is that I hope I don't get any astringency for the steeped grain being at 180. I don't think they were at that temp for very long since I was heating up at the time. (Maybe a couple of minutes above 170)
I made a English brown ale where it hit 180 steeping the grains and there was astringency for a while, but it mellowed out after a month or so. Fear not, conditioning works wonders.

Started brewing February 2012:
All grain and partial mash brewer depending on time. Meads and apfelwein also.

Old 01-08-2013, 06:20 AM   #125
CityOChampBrew
Recipes 

Liked 58 Times on 49 Posts
Likes Given: 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by wcarter1227 View Post
This is a very simple pale for a brewer of any level of experience. While I enjoy doing my All Grain beers, I still brew this beer from time to time. The plus is that you only have to boil the beer for 15 minutes and you are done. So we are looking at a 2 hour brew day including clean up with a wonderful tasting hoppy yet sweet caramel flavored pale ale. And since its extract and with such a big hop bill you only need to boil the extract for 15 MINUTES!

Pours a nice copper/reddish color with a 1 finger head that sticks around leaving a nice lacing down the glass.

Grain/Extracts

6lbs Light Dry Malt Extract added to the boil
1lbs Crystal 60 add the grains to the water and steep until the water temp reaches 170 and pull them out.

Hops

2.5oz Cascade 7.5% AA at 15 min
1oz Cascade 7.5%aa at 5 min
.50 oz Cascade 7.5% at flameout
1oz Cascade 7.5% dry hop 7 days after primary fermentation has wrapped up.
I do like the sound of only a 15 min boil. I may have to try doing this sometime soon
Kegged empty

Old 01-11-2013, 04:24 AM   #126
jschoon
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

All I have is some wheat dme. Anyone think that will be an off flavor?

Old 01-13-2013, 02:01 AM   #127
chronoclast
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by chemdoc

Looks good. Although you adjusted the amounts, I'm curious to see how the higher %aa and more pronounced flavor profile on the Citra will come through. Keep us posted. I think I might try a 2.5 gallon test batch with Citra for comparison with the Cascade version. Cheers.
7 days in and hit 1.010 with rehydrated notty. Planned to let it sit a few more days but went ahead and dry hopped tonight since the gravity was so low. Dry hopped 1oz Citra. Going to give this seven more days then use my new kegerator for the first time. 14 days is a quick fermentation, but remember my batch is about 3.8gal.

Anything I need to know about putting 3.8gal into a 5gal keg? I was just gonna let it get cold in there for 24 hours and the hook up 30psi for another 24 hours. Then disconnect co2 and let out pressure. Reconnect to 10 psi and give it my first taste. Sound alright?

Old 01-13-2013, 03:08 PM   #128
FlyDoctor
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 16

No difference in a keg with lower volume - you'll jut use more co2 to fill up the headspace.

My routine is 30 x 24 hours, 20 x 24 hours then 10.

Old 01-14-2013, 03:24 AM   #129
chemdoc
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyDoctor
No difference in a keg with lower volume - you'll jut use more co2 to fill up the headspace.

My routine is 30 x 24 hours, 20 x 24 hours then 10.
Agree with Fly. Only difference is I usually pressurize, then purge to remove any air from the keg before pressurizing and letting it sit. Probably just paranoid...but I do it anyways.

Old 01-14-2013, 05:49 AM   #130
CityOChampBrew
Recipes 

Liked 58 Times on 49 Posts
Likes Given: 45

once some of my fermenters clear I think I will be doing this with some belma or caliente to test the new hops out

Kegged empty

Quick Reply