Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Scottish and Irish Ale > Multiple - Walker's Gruagach 80/-

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-14-2013, 04:16 PM   #71
Walker
I use secondaries. :p
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 72 Times on 64 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Peat is a damn potent thing, and I'm sure it varies from maltster to maltster and over time.
When I was trying to dial this thing in, 3oz was barely there, 6 oz was way too much.
I don't even know what brand I had. It was just packaged up in a half pound package at my LHBS.

edit: I will add that this is the first time I have ever heard the recipe called "too peaty". Normally, people have the reaction that rico had. Meaning, they tasted a hint of peat and wanted more, or they thought it was just right.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-14-2013, 05:37 PM   #72
Arrheinous
Recipes 

Liked 62 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 95

I just bottled a 5.5 gallon batch of this last week after a month at 60F and a month at 50F. I'll let you know how the peatiness comes out. It's still flat though.

Fermenting: Scarecrow (No Boil Stout)
Aging: Winter Siege ESB (Oak/Brett C), Fire Badger (Ancho Chile Berliner Weisse on Brett C/B/L), No Boil Saison on Tart Cherries with Rum-soaked French Oak
On Tap: Lawn Gnomad Saison, Bear Force One (Scotch Ale)

Old 03-24-2013, 10:03 PM   #73
Arrheinous
Recipes 

Just opened a bottle after almost three weeks. I made some modifications on the hop profile and used Golden Promise for the base malt and went with US-04 since I was ready (and still ain't) to do starters like the Wyeast's Scottish Ale. Been excited to try it out since this is the style that got me into brewing.

Not too peaty at all. You can taste it behind some of the malt character and remains in the mouth after. I might even up the dosage by 50% for a peated oatmeal stout I want to brew.

I stored it at 60F for one month then ~53F for another. Very clear with a dusting of yeast at the bottle of the bottle. My only concern is that the carbonation is low. It's the longest I've let a beer sit and US-04 sounds like a good flocculating yeast. Maybe I should have agitated it a bit more during bottling to rekindle some of the yeast.

Aging: Winter Siege ESB (Oak/Brett C), Fire Badger (Ancho Chile Berliner Weisse on Brett C/B/L), No Boil Saison on Tart Cherries with Rum-soaked French Oak

Old 04-03-2013, 03:56 AM   #74
Taxman
Recipes 

I just brewed this and ended up with OG at 1.054, I used 5 lbs of Pale 2 row and 3.75 lbs of Maris Otter. It is fermenting nicely at 60 deg. My question concerns the volumes of CO2 to use to bottle. Tasty Brew shows the style for Scottish Ale/80 schilling at .75-1.3. The calculator shows to use .8 oz of corn sugar for a 5 gal batch that was fermented at 60 degrees. Will this be enough to even produce any head at all? Does this seem low? Has anyone bottled and have any experience with this?

Old 04-03-2013, 08:02 PM   #75
Taxman
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrheinous View Post
Just opened a bottle after almost three weeks. I made some modifications on the hop profile and used Golden Promise for the base malt and went with US-04 since I was ready (and still ain't) to do starters like the Wyeast's Scottish Ale. Been excited to try it out since this is the style that got me into brewing.

Not too peaty at all. You can taste it behind some of the malt character and remains in the mouth after. I might even up the dosage by 50% for a peated oatmeal stout I want to brew.

I stored it at 60F for one month then ~53F for another. Very clear with a dusting of yeast at the bottle of the bottle. My only concern is that the carbonation is low. It's the longest I've let a beer sit and US-04 sounds like a good flocculating yeast. Maybe I should have agitated it a bit more during bottling to rekindle some of the yeast.
What did you use to carbonate and how much did you use? I was wondering if 1 oz of corn sugar would be enough for the style or if this seems low? I generally store after fermentation around 68-70 deg. in a closet and usually carbonate to style with adequate head. Not sure on this one, my first attempt at a Scottish ale.

Old 04-03-2013, 11:05 PM   #76
Arrheinous
Recipes 

I think I bottled with 4 or 4.5 oz of corn sugar which worked well for a nut brown ale I did. But in most cases I prefer standard 5oz/5gal priming over less carbonated, more stylistic priming amounts. The last growler I filled was a Scottish Ale (the one that started it all) and it turned sickeningly sweet as it went flat so I wanted to distance myself from that.

This batch sat for two months at low temperatures (60F and then 55F) before bottling. I used US04 which is pretty good at dropping out so only a slight silt is at the bottom of the bottles.

What I've done to try and get more carbonation post-bottling is to let the bottles sit in front of the heating vents so they get up to 68F for a few days. Also used a bit of agitation/gentle wrist snap to try and put the yeast back into the beer. I put them in the fridge yesterday so I'll see what's become of them in a couple minutes.

Old 04-30-2013, 10:30 AM   #77
rico567
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 82 Times on 77 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Going to brew this again tomorrow. Two things to remember:

1. Remember to do the reduction.

2. Remember not to allow the reduction to boil over.

I've been lucky so far, but.....I'm just sayin'.

“Malt does more than Milton can / To justify God’s ways to man”

-A. E. Housman (1859–1936). A Shropshire Lad , 1896.

Old 07-16-2014, 03:17 AM   #78
Remmis
Recipes 

Brewed this in late December, exactly to recipe, not counting slightly reduced amount of hops to account for higher AA. Used Golden Promise as the base. Fantastic brew.

I would agree with the folks who have said the minimum aging on this should be around three months. My experience was that the peat aroma/flavor was increasing for the first few months as I would taste it, at its peak it was borderline unpleasant, then it began to mellow. Right now it is absolutely one of the best tasting beers I've made.

The only adjustment I would make is to be more vigilant with the secondary boil, I don't think I quite made a syrup the first time.

Old 07-25-2014, 06:38 PM   #79
plath
Recipes 

Liked 87 Times on 73 Posts
Likes Given: 82

marking this. I think I'm going to scale this down and brew a small batch.

Fermenting: Rum Runner Stout
Bottle conditioning: JAOM,apfelwein, NB BB porter, AG chocolate stout, AG oatmeal cookie porter,
Enjoying: modified MB kit, apfelwein, cascade 15 min ale, darth vader black ipa
Next up: Deception Cream Stout, NB rye stout
Untappd: plath

Quick Reply