I took a sample of this yesterday, and I am disappointed in this batch. The rich malty flavor of the previous batches isn't there.
There is some history missing in this recipe. The original recipe (which Orfy preserved for me when I was away from the forum) stated the following:
- Some amount of caramelization is desired in this beer.
You can either boil it for a loooong time, or remove a
a couple cups and reduce it in a saucepan while you are
boiling the rest of the wort. Add this reduction back
to the kettle a few minutes before flame out.
That part of the recipe didn't get transferred over when I made this "official" thread for the recipe.
I can now say with certainty, that this absolutely needs to be done to get this beer to come out right.
The batch I have is drinkable, and is tasty... but it just isn't what the recipe is SUPPOSED to come out like.
I am editing 1st post in this thread to add that key part back in, with clarification that a long boil (which I *did* do) isn't good enough and an actual reduction of the wort is necessary.