Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Scottish and Irish Ale > All-Grain - Strong Scotch Ale

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-02-2012, 12:06 AM   #81
Lycan
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by permo

It sure sounds awesome.....but here is a word of advice. You should pitch at least one more smack pack into there if you can. You underpitched quite a bit.

With nottingham, it didn't take long at all.
That's what I'm thinking. I will pick up another smack pack, will it still be ok with no o2

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-02-2012, 05:32 PM   #82
permo
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 21 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lycan View Post
That's what I'm thinking. I will pick up another smack pack, will it still be ok with no o2
I think oxygenating again would be a good idea too.....

Old 03-07-2012, 03:18 AM   #83
Lycan
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Talked to my LBS and was told not to reoxyginate the need since there is alcohol in there now, and O2 will really give problems. They said to just dump the smack pack right in.

Old 03-07-2012, 01:56 PM   #84
permo
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lycan View Post
Talked to my LBS and was told not to reoxyginate the need since there is alcohol in there now, and O2 will really give problems. They said to just dump the smack pack right in.
Your LBS guy is wrong. The new yeast will require oxygen to propogate (reproduce). Your extra yeast helped for sure, but oxygenating would have helped even more.

Old 03-08-2012, 12:36 AM   #85
Lycan
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Well since its a smack pack, its like a starter and has already started its multiplying. I haven't needed to add the other smack pack yet. It's still bubbling every 3 seconds.

Old 03-16-2012, 11:20 PM   #86
Lycan
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

So I checked the gravity of this bad boy, its at 9.3%! Oh boy, its party time soon. Going to be racking to secondary tomorrow afternoon.

Old 06-22-2012, 12:44 AM   #87
IMNOTL8
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Just transferred this to it's new home in the secondary for the next two months! OG was 1.072 and ended up at 1.012! Tasted very good! Going to be a long two months... Need to make something else soon... my kolsch is running low in the keg!

Old 06-22-2012, 12:57 AM   #88
Lycan
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMNOTL8
Just transferred this to it's new home in the secondary for the next two months! OG was 1.072 and ended up at 1.012! Tasted very good! Going to be a long two months... Need to make something else soon... my kolsch is running low in the keg!
Oh, you will enjoy this one. It is delicious!

Old 06-22-2012, 05:40 AM   #89
permo
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMNOTL8 View Post
This really is a super simple and fantastic recipe. I am going to make this one again soon, and age it on a little oak. Now that I think, this would be awesome on draught with nitro!

Old 06-23-2012, 06:31 PM   #90
msu09
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I just brewed this last night. It was my first decoction and I was scared at first.... but it was really quite easy! Does anyone see any problems with the process that I used?

I pulled 1.5 gallons of the mash (at 149) and put it into a kettle. Pushed it up to 157, held it for 15, pushed it boiling, held for 15. I then put the decocted mash back in and hit the temp of 157 perfectly! Finished it out at 157 for 45 minutes. Added a gallon at 170 and let it sit for ten minutes. Vorlaufed, and drained into the kettle. Added 4 gallons at 170 to the mash and let sit for ten minutes. Vorlaufed and put into the kettle. The notty is going crazy now... I've never had a blow off quite as intense as this one.

Does anyone see any problems with my methods? I've only done 5 all grains and I am unsure if I am doing everything "correct".

Quick Reply