Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Scottish and Irish Ale > All-Grain - Strong Scotch Ale

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-04-2012, 03:04 AM   #71
permo
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 20 Posts

Nottingham worked great for me in this one. However, I think US-05 is a superior yeast. Given the choice, I would use US-05. The key is to mash properly to avoid over attenuation.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-04-2012, 04:53 PM   #72
Moody_Copperpot
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by permo
Nottingham worked great for me in this one. However, I think US-05 is a superior yeast. Given the choice, I would use US-05. The key is to mash properly to avoid over attenuation.
Perfect, thanks for the info!

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese.

Old 01-10-2012, 01:02 PM   #73
permo
Recipes 

I am going to brew this one up again. I am going to switch yeast to WY1275 or WLP023 to bring some more flavor to the party. I am going to change to one 27 IBU bittering addition of Magnum hops as well. I will cold crash after termininal gravity is reached, clear with gelatin, keg it and cold condition for a few months.

I am anticipating an amazing beer.

Old 01-11-2012, 01:40 AM   #74
Lycan
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

So your going to use gelatin instead of Irish moss. When do you put in the gelatin.

Old 01-11-2012, 12:17 PM   #75
permo
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lycan View Post
So your going to use gelatin instead of Irish moss. When do you put in the gelatin.
I will be using both. The irish moss is added to the boil, gelatin is added to the fermenter, secondary or keg after the beer has been cold crashed. It really helps clear the beer.

Old 01-11-2012, 05:50 PM   #76
Moody_Copperpot
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

This could just be me, but the idea of gelatin in a beer weirds me out haha.
I get great results simply from Irish moss and a bit of time in the secondary fermentor.
To each his own, however!

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese.

Old 01-26-2012, 02:42 AM   #77
CorneliusAlphonse
Recipes 

only been in the bottle for two weeks, but since it's Robbie Burns day and i don't have any scotch... thought i'd try a taste of the strong scotch ale. It is delicious - fairly sweet, mild alcohol flavour, nice malty aroma. great. when it's fully carbonated it will be amazing, and i think it will age great! thanks again for the recipe!

Old 01-26-2012, 08:25 PM   #78
permo
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorneliusAlphonse View Post
only been in the bottle for two weeks, but since it's Robbie Burns day and i don't have any scotch... thought i'd try a taste of the strong scotch ale. It is delicious - fairly sweet, mild alcohol flavour, nice malty aroma. great. when it's fully carbonated it will be amazing, and i think it will age great! thanks again for the recipe!

It seems like simple recipes are often the best! sounds like it turned out great

Old 02-28-2012, 10:05 PM   #79
Lycan
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

So I brewed this big boy on Sunday, and let me tell you, I got 1.093 even with having 3-5 small boil overs. I got about 9 gallons of wort out of my MLT and I only have a 7 gal brew pot, so I had a long brew because I had to get all that evaporated done to 5 gals. I also got a wyeast smack pack 1728 Scottish ale, its going slow, but its going. How long did it take to ferment for you?

Old 02-29-2012, 02:13 AM   #80
permo
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lycan View Post
So I brewed this big boy on Sunday, and let me tell you, I got 1.093 even with having 3-5 small boil overs. I got about 9 gallons of wort out of my MLT and I only have a 7 gal brew pot, so I had a long brew because I had to get all that evaporated done to 5 gals. I also got a wyeast smack pack 1728 Scottish ale, its going slow, but its going. How long did it take to ferment for you?
It sure sounds awesome.....but here is a word of advice. You should pitch at least one more smack pack into there if you can. You underpitched quite a bit.

With nottingham, it didn't take long at all.

Quick Reply