Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Scottish and Irish Ale > All-Grain - Strong Scotch Ale

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-15-2010, 03:08 AM   #21
permo
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 20 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarbonatedColon View Post
I don't know if 1030 is a problem, that was my question .... will it be too sweet? I have already moved the fermenter to an area that is 74F - I hope it does not affect the malty-ness. If this fails, how much corn sugar is enough to get this thing chugging again? Also - any ideas on how may days to leave it at 74 before checking the gravity again? I hate pulling the lid off more than I need to.
Moving it to 74 at this point will not cause off flavors or cause your beer to somehow lose it's maltiness. Off flavors or excessive esters are primarily produced if the temperature is too high during the propogation phase and you are well beyond that.....you are just trying to coax a little more attenuation out of the yeast.........IMO 1030 will be a little syrupy sweet but if it tastes good, serve it as a nice after dinner treat......I have a feeling it is going to drop a few more points at 74 degrees.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-20-2010, 10:51 PM   #22
Challenger440
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 4

How do you think this would work with Munich as the base? Say use 12lbs Munich and 2lbs Marris Otter (leaving some in because MO has more diastic power for the specialty grains).

Keg #1: Oatmeal Stout (WLP004)
Keg #2: Oatmeal Stout (WLP037)
Keg #3: Denny Conn's Bourbon Vanilla Porter
Keg #4: Empty
Bottled: Apfelwein, Scottish 60/-
On Deck: Simtennial Pale Ale

Old 10-21-2010, 01:14 PM   #23
permo
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Challenger440 View Post
How do you think this would work with Munich as the base? Say use 12lbs Munich and 2lbs Marris Otter (leaving some in because MO has more diastic power for the specialty grains).
That could be a little heavy on the Munich, but I was recently thinking since malty is the name of the game with this ale, that a pilsen and munich base would be really nice...split 50/50...I have no doubt that MO and Munich split 50/50 would be a nice base too.

Old 01-18-2011, 03:21 AM   #24
maltbarleyhops
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by permo View Post
Moving it to 74 at this point will not cause off flavors or cause your beer to somehow lose it's maltiness. Off flavors or excessive esters are primarily produced if the temperature is too high during the propogation phase and you are well beyond that.....you are just trying to coax a little more attenuation out of the yeast.........IMO 1030 will be a little syrupy sweet but if it tastes good, serve it as a nice after dinner treat......I have a feeling it is going to drop a few more points at 74 degrees.
a little warm up, no higher than 70. and a good gentle swirl to re-suspend yeast.

Old 02-12-2011, 07:09 PM   #25
picguy523
Recipes 

I did brew this as advertised. Amazing! I hardly have any left at all. Its going to have to be brewed again soon, as I really want more. Had it vs. a Three Floyds Robert the Bruce and it as a lot more flavor, and a wonderfully dense, creamy head. Aromas of nuts, toffee, and malt, very worth the effort!

Old 02-18-2011, 01:52 AM   #26
permo
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by picguy523 View Post
I did brew this as advertised. Amazing! I hardly have any left at all. Its going to have to be brewed again soon, as I really want more. Had it vs. a Three Floyds Robert the Bruce and it as a lot more flavor, and a wonderfully dense, creamy head. Aromas of nuts, toffee, and malt, very worth the effort!
Yeah, mine is long gone, time for another batch of deliciousness. I am not sure, and I know it is not to style, but I think I might use WLP007 isntead of nottingham this time around.

I am glad you liked it.

Old 02-18-2011, 05:14 PM   #27
picguy523
Recipes 

I looked at the specs of the WLP007 and I have that one earmarked for an imperial smoked and oaked stout. Seems like a well attenuated and reasonably high flocculation too. Tomorrow is brew day, and Febrewary continues!

Old 02-18-2011, 05:17 PM   #28
permo
Recipes 

Nottingham, WLP001 and Pacman just seem to suck the body right out of my beers, regardless of mash temp. My experience with WLP007 shows that it does attenuate well, but leaves more body and maltiness apparent in the finished product.

Old 08-18-2011, 08:11 PM   #29
jmf143
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Has anyone brewed this with a single infusion mash? If so, at what temp and how did it turn out?

Old 08-18-2011, 08:23 PM   #30
permo
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmf143 View Post
Has anyone brewed this with a single infusion mash? If so, at what temp and how did it turn out?
I have not, but I have no doubt that the beer would still be good. When I brew this again I will be making the following changes...

Yeast = WLP007
Hops = 25 IBU of willamette at 90
Single Infusion Mash at 155 for 90 minutes

Quick Reply