Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Scottish and Irish Ale > All-Grain - Strong Scotch Ale

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-28-2012, 11:27 PM   #101
Lycan
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrBrewDC
So then, is a mash out unnecessary?
Yes. You still need to raise the temp to 165ish

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-29-2012, 11:46 AM   #102
DrBrewDC
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lycan View Post
Yes. You still need to raise the temp to 165ish
Thank you! I believe I am ready.

Old 06-29-2012, 12:23 PM   #103
Lycan
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrBrewDC

Thank you! I believe I am ready.
Sweet. Good luck. It seems like it might be hard but it is quite easy. Just try and stay on your temps and your golden

Old 07-09-2012, 01:36 PM   #104
DrBrewDC
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

So here's how it went:

My good buddy from Australia was in town so a few more home brews were consumed a bit earlier in the process than usual which caused me to forget to consider the "dead space" under my false bottom when figuring strike water amount/temp. That goof was quickly resolved and we hit 149* on the button for 45 min. After taking approx. 17 qts of grist for decoction, I had to double check this thread because it really seemed like a lot (there was hardly any grain left in the mash tun). Heated that to boil, held for 15 and added enough back to bump to our 157* for another 45 min. Added the rest back, mashed out at 165. Fly sparged with 170 getting 6+ gallons at a spot-on 1.074! Since I did not have the time to make a starter, I pitched two packages of Nottingham at 79*. I placed it in my fermentation chamber in a 90* garage at 7pm, so it took some time to come to temperature. The next morning it was at 68* and friggin bubblin like mad! The following morning the temperature probe in the thermowell was registering at a beautiful 62*... and has been there since!

Questions:

1. Will pitching two packages of yeast have any negative effects on the flavor? on fermentation? on anything?
2. Will my warmer temps for the first two days have any negative effects?
3. When the grist is heated to boil for 15 minutes, doesn't this effectively end the conversion from starch to sugar? What is the ultimate purpose of this? Caramelization? and therefore, flavor? But Oh My Goodness did it smell amazing! We couldn't help but have a couple spoonfuls of the chewy sweet cereal!!

Old 07-09-2012, 03:42 PM   #105
permo
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 20 Posts

1. that is great
2. pitching warm (90 degrees) and leaving warm for two days may give you some off flavors. Notty over 70 is nasty. The first days are crucial and when most esthers are formed. I hope its ok though.
3. decoction adds carmelization and an intense maltiness that cannot be matched - good job!

I hope your ferment is OK with those temps cause you nailed everything else!

Old 07-09-2012, 03:59 PM   #106
DrBrewDC
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

For clarification.... the garage was 90*, however, the ferm chamber was already down to 70 and so was the wort within hours, hanging at about 68 for another 24 hours until it made it down to the suggested 62. NEVER was the wort 90*. By the time I could see activity, it was at 68*.

The reason for stating the garage temp was to give reason why my chamber struggled to drop in temperature.

Old 08-04-2012, 10:12 PM   #108
WharfRat
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Just got this brew into a carboy and into my fermentation chamber. This was my first time doing a decoction mash and although I hit (or slightly exceeded) the OG permo specifies, I am a bit nervous and confused about decoction technique, as I've not been doing all grain, let alone decoction, for very long.

I mashed on with 5.75 gallons of water and hit 149 and held for 45 minutes. Then I pulled 1 qt of more-or-less drained grist for each lb of grain and put into the brew kettle. I did not hold this portion at 157 for any amount of time, but rather brought the whole thing slowly but steadily to a boil. Was this a screw-up? Honestly I forgot to rest the decoction, but after I realized it, I figured conversion and other enzyme magic would have already happened during the 45 min each rest. (?)

Another odd thing I noticed is that, pulling that amount out, It appeared that almost all of the grain had gone into the brew kettle. After boiling for 15 minutes or so, I added enough back to the mash tun to bring the temp to the specified 157, and left the rest into the brew kettle to cool to that temp (or until I got impatient and frustrated and added a bit of cool water to bring it down and then put it into the MT). Problem was that it took so little of the decoction to bring the original mash to target temp that it was almost through the second rest before I got the bulk of the decoction down to temp to rest with the remainder.

So net is that my rests were totally weird and disjointed and I don't really know what happened from a mash perspective . Wort and trub were much messier than I have ever had, but the aromas and taste were very nice and very interesting.

Any feedback? Sorry for the long post... But it's nothing compared to how long this brew day was

Old 08-06-2012, 02:39 PM   #109
permo
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 20 Posts

Wow, that was a long one. I just use beersmith and it calculates the amount of mash to remove and boil. So to make a long store short, I take a mix of grain and water from the mash, bring it to a boil and let it boil for 5-10 minutes and then add it back to the mash to bring up the temp. Thats all a decoction is to me.

Old 08-06-2012, 02:45 PM   #110
DrBrewDC
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

If you read just 4 posts up, you will see that I basically had the same questions. It does seem unusual... having never done a decoction... however, I believe you are spot on, as well.

I don't believe you have to hold the decoction at 157* on your way up to boiling.... but I may be wrong.

Either way, I just transferred from the primary into the secondary yesterday after 5 weeks and although still a tad "green", it tasted AMAZING!

Great recipe, permo!

Quick Reply