Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Scottish and Irish Ale > St Fuad's Irish Red

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-01-2009, 07:57 PM   #31
BrewSpook
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

SO I finally got around to bottling this batch over the weekend while my dad was in town.

We threw some into a 20oz soda bottle fitted with a tire valve and pumped some carbonation into it.. WOW - it was fantastic. A good roasted flavor and beautiful color. I was really worried when the OG was so low (or the batch size was too high), but it really was a drinkable beer. Went down smooth with just enough sweetness at the end to make you want another one.

I like it so much I have 4 bottles on their way to 2 different comps this month. We'll see how it goes.

Give me a woman who truly loves beer, and I will conquer the world. -- Kaiser Wilhelm II (1859-1941)

Beer makes you feel the way you ought to feel without beer. -- Henry Lawson

My DIY Tap Handles

My RIMs Toolbox

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-04-2009, 03:36 AM   #32
Pumbaa
I prefer 23383
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 71 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 66

You guys are going to make my head swell . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by elmetal View Post
anyone got a quick Extract conversion or a PM with at most 3# of grain? my little baby cooler can't handle more than 3# of grain. would that still be considered a PM?
I'll try to figure out an extract conversion when I get home from the fire house

**EDIT**
ok just got done playing with Promash . . .

for extract use 6lbs generic light DME levibond = 8. It will end up just a touch darker (Levibond of like 16.2)
Steep your grains like you normally would and every thing else remains the same. TBH This was one of the first recipes I came up with on my own and my first batch ever of this was an extract. I lost the recipie when my computer died and had to re-figure it out . . . thankfully it wasnt a complex recipe and I had kept notes in my scratch book

Old 10-09-2009, 04:08 AM   #33
troutrvr32208
Recipes 

I'm drinking this now after kegging on sept 30th, very smooth beer. A change from my last few hoppy beers. I like it. Only compliant is I wish it would have carried more of the malty tones.

Old 01-10-2010, 08:41 PM   #34
Yeastie
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I just brewed this a few days ago, brewing went very smoothly because I measured out all the mash and sparge water ahead of time and cleaned and set up the equipment the night before.

A few alterations, I couldn't get whole Fuggles so I used .9 ounces of pellet Fuggles, also I added .25 pounds of cara-amber to give it a nicer red color. I calculated my boiloff rate and found I needed to boil for 55 minutes BEFORE starting the 60 minute boil with the hop additons. That and using a hop bag really saved my ass and my new MLT worked like a charm. I also tossed in a Whirlfloc tablet 20 minutes before the boil was done and the gravity reading was beautifully clear. I used Wyeast 1084 and the wort was cooled with my new CFC.

I hit the mark with just a bit shy of 5.5 gallons OG was 1.060 because the OG was a bit high and I used a slap pack I kept the primary in my closet at room temp for 24 hours to let the yeast grow quickly before transferring it to my garage.

Old 02-24-2010, 06:06 PM   #35
Immith
Recipes 

Just brewed this on sunday, didn't quite hit the gravity reading but pretty close, boiled for a long time too(only my 3rd all grain batch). Using denny's favorite from wyeast to try it. Smelling great now, can't wait to try it!

Old 02-24-2010, 11:18 PM   #36
HPDrifter
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I have never used this yeast before I brewed this batch, although everything I read about it says it's an amazing yeast.

I brewed this recipe 10 days ago, and the yeast hasn't finished up yet.. I still have a nice THICK head of krausen on it and the FG is still around 1018. I have kept the temps around 60-62F, could this be causing it to ferment so slowly?

I did a 2 liter starter over an entire week, since it started really slowly.

I am in no hurry, just curious about this slow ferment.

Old 02-24-2010, 11:54 PM   #37
Immith
Recipes 

What beer are you making it with? I'll let you know how it turns out, using that yeast for the beer that this topic follows (St Faud's Irish Red).

Smelling it and it has a nice malty sweetness. Started bubbling on Tuesday after pitching on Sunday, didn't do a starter this time around(no time) nor saved any for krausening later(I keg, but do it for extra oxygen scrubbing, seems to help me, but could be the way I do things). Not slowing down but not going fast either.

Old 03-14-2010, 03:20 AM   #38
cyclonetx
Recipes 

My marathon St. Fuad's brewing session is finally over. Still making rookie all grain mistakes. Missed the mash temp by about 8 degrees and added too much additional strike water to get the temp up. I ended up boiling wort for two hours to get down to the final volume. Into the primary and the wait begins. I substitued Carared for the crystal malt. I am really looking forward to the first pint. Cheers.

Old 03-14-2010, 11:59 AM   #39
Immith
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclonetx View Post
My marathon St. Fuad's brewing session is finally over. Still making rookie all grain mistakes. Missed the mash temp by about 8 degrees and added too much additional strike water to get the temp up. I ended up boiling wort for two hours to get down to the final volume. Into the primary and the wait begins. I substitued Carared for the crystal malt. I am really looking forward to the first pint. Cheers.
Hey, I'm definitely making rookie all grain mistakes still. I missed by a few degrees down then sparge was a few degrees up, and I think I did a 2 or 3hr boil as well. Mine was a few weeks ago and is in secondary now @ 50F, and tasting really good(I'm surprised it needs to age longer, but I always get eager so going to wait as long as I can on this one). Here's hoping yours comes out great. I had to make some substitutions, and definitely didn't get the red color I wanted, more a reddish brown(probably closer to what it really is anyways, but still not exactly what I was wanting).

Are you using a program? I just started using one for this batch (and now for all other batches, I've been going nuts lately brewing) and it's helping me, using 5 gallon gott water coolers for my AG batch and a large boil pot and it's helping me get closer than I have been before.

Best!

Old 03-16-2010, 10:26 PM   #40
Krrazy
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Sounds great! Being a new brewer, I'm just starting to identify connections between grains and the tastes in the finish product. I have the grains ready for a batch that's close, but I substituted some 2-Row Pale due to a shortage of Vienna. Thanks for sharing.

Quick Reply