Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Scottish and Irish Ale > All-Grain - Smoky Roasty Scotch Ale

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-05-2009, 10:29 PM   #1
tuoply
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Rochester, NY
Posts: 38
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default All-Grain - Smoky Roasty Scotch Ale

Recipe Type: All Grain
Yeast: Scottish Ale (Wyeast Labs #1728)
Yeast Starter: I used a 1 liter starter for 12 hrs
Batch Size (Gallons): 5
Original Gravity: 1.065
Final Gravity: 1.020
IBU: 30.9 IBU
Boiling Time (Minutes): 60
Color: 17.7 SRM
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 28 days @ 65 degrees
Tasting Notes: After a couple of months, a smoky flavor starts to come out in the beer.

Style: Strong Scotch Ale
TYPE: All Grain
Taste: (35.0)

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 5.00 gal
Boil Size: 5.72 gal
Estimated OG: 1.071 SG
Estimated Color: 17.7 SRM
Estimated IBU: 30.9 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.00 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
10.00 lb Pale Malt, Maris Otter (3.0 SRM) Grain 78.99 %
1.67 lb Munich Malt (9.0 SRM) Grain 13.19 %
0.83 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 80L (80.0 SRM) Grain 6.56 %
0.16 lb Chocolate Malt (450.0 SRM) Grain 1.26 %
1.67 oz Fuggles [4.50 %] (60 min) Hops 23.2 IBU
0.83 oz Goldings, East Kent [5.00 %] (20 min) Hops 7.8 IBU
1 Pkgs Scottish Ale (Wyeast Labs #1728) Yeast-Ale


Mash Schedule: My Mash
Total Grain Weight: 12.66 lb
----------------------------
My Mash
Step Time Name Description Step Temp
60 min Step Add 18.99 qt of water at 164.0 F 154.0 F
10 min Mash Out Add 12.00 qt of water and heat to 168.0 F


This beer definitely gets better with age, but is drinkable right away! It's a very easy beer to brew; one of my first all grains and I've brewed it a couple times since. A nice fall and winter beer

__________________
tuoply is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-14-2011, 02:28 PM   #2
badmajon
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Augusta, GA
Posts: 782
Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Default


This looks like a good recipe, I think it might be next on my brew list... I gotta find something to do with the slurry from the wee heavy I just did.

__________________
badmajon is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-07-2011, 10:20 PM   #3
sjjn
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
sjjn's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: new york
Posts: 152
Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default


Anyone else brew this? Any notes, comments, changes? Anyone have a pic of it in a glass?

__________________

"Once your reputation is ruined, you can live life quite freely"

sjjn is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-11-2011, 08:06 PM   #4
Finnigian
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Portland
Posts: 6
Default


Quote:
Originally Posted by tuoply
Style: Strong Scotch Ale
TYPE: All Grain
Taste: (35.0)

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 5.00 gal
Boil Size: 5.72 gal
Estimated OG: 1.071 SG
Estimated Color: 17.7 SRM
Estimated IBU: 30.9 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.00 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
10.00 lb Pale Malt, Maris Otter (3.0 SRM) Grain 78.99 %
1.67 lb Munich Malt (9.0 SRM) Grain 13.19 %
0.83 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 80L (80.0 SRM) Grain 6.56 %
0.16 lb Chocolate Malt (450.0 SRM) Grain 1.26 %
1.67 oz Fuggles [4.50 %] (60 min) Hops 23.2 IBU
0.83 oz Goldings, East Kent [5.00 %] (20 min) Hops 7.8 IBU
1 Pkgs Scottish Ale (Wyeast Labs #1728) Yeast-Ale

Mash Schedule: My Mash
Total Grain Weight: 12.66 lb
----------------------------
My Mash
Step Time Name Description Step Temp
60 min Step Add 18.99 qt of water at 164.0 F 154.0 F
10 min Mash Out Add 12.00 qt of water and heat to 168.0 F

This beer definitely gets better with age, but is drinkable right away! It's a very easy beer to brew; one of my first all grains and I've brewed it a couple times since. A nice fall and winter beer

Kc@wilcoxfoil.com
__________________
Finnigian is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-23-2011, 12:48 AM   #5
tulsabrewdaddy
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Tulsa
Posts: 166
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default


Just brewed this today. Love the color! My OG was 1.052. Any suggestions on the time in the carboys/keg before drinking?

__________________
tulsabrewdaddy is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-03-2012, 07:17 PM   #6
tuoply
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Rochester, NY
Posts: 38
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default


Quote:
Originally Posted by tulsabrewdaddy View Post
Just brewed this today. Love the color! My OG was 1.052. Any suggestions on the time in the carboys/keg before drinking?
Sorry for the really late reply, but I typically keep this (and all beers) in the primary carboy for 3 weeks before kegging. I then keg and force carb for at least a week and usually two.

For this particular beer, longer is better as it mellows and melds with age. That said, the longest it's lasted has been a few months...
__________________
tuoply is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-07-2013, 10:51 PM   #7
tuoply
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Rochester, NY
Posts: 38
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default


Quick update: So I brewed this again with white labs Edinburgh yeast... wyeast is definitely the one to stick with. Much better taste

__________________
tuoply is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-04-2013, 05:11 AM   #8
shoedumas
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 1
Likes Given: 1

Default


Brewed this a few weeks ago. Hit the OG bang on, and the FG came down to about 1.01, so I should be ballpark 7% ABV. I used Clarity-Ferm in the primary. My re-done all-grain setup made this brew day a breeze. Bottled it today and it smells GOOOOOOD. It's gonna be really hard to wait for these to age. I'll try to remember to post a pic of this beer in a glass in a few weeks. Thanks for the awesome recipe, tuoply!

__________________
shoedumas is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-28-2014, 07:30 PM   #9
Damoxemus
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 131
Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Default


I don't see any smoked malts in the recipe, so I assume its the yeast that gives it the smokey flavour then?

__________________

Ginger Ale
CDA
Saison

Damoxemus is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-29-2014, 10:51 PM   #10
Gonefishin
Junior Member
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Gonefishin's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: BF,
Posts: 77
Liked 18 Times on 7 Posts

Default


Quote:
Originally Posted by Damoxemus View Post
I don't see any smoked malts in the recipe, so I assume its the yeast that gives it the smokey flavour then?
I was wondering the same thing. I have a really similar recipe except for the addition of 3/4# of smoked peat malt (10-gal. batch). I am looking for just the hint of smoke flavor. Thanks for any input.

Chuck
__________________

I've got lots of patience. I just don't have time.

Gonefishin is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply


Quick Reply
Message:
Options
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Roasty aftertaste in Red Ale DSV All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing 18 10-16-2009 03:24 PM
Scotch ale stuck like scotch tape Judochop Fermentation & Yeast 8 09-30-2009 06:02 PM
I love Scotch, Scotchy Scotch Scotch nostalgia General Chit Chat 21 09-03-2008 01:59 AM
Smoky?? Homercidal General Beer Discussion 0 05-22-2008 05:42 PM
Really roasty, will it mellow? The Pol Recipes/Ingredients 4 04-24-2007 01:54 PM