Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Scottish and Irish Ale > All-Grain - Raging Red Irish Red Ale

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-24-2014, 01:11 PM   #651
Mysticmead
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 72 Times on 53 Posts
Likes Given: 114

Quote:
Originally Posted by LandoLincoln View Post
I think the honey is the key to getting a really red beer with the OG that is typical for the style.
the caraaroma and melanoidin malts provide the color as well as malty aroma. Trust me.. I added the honey as a simple ABV boost; 1lb of honey won't add to the color and very little if any flavor. In fact, the boost in abv actually pushed it to the very upper edge of the BJCP guidelines. Leaving it out will make a slightly lower ABV version. Adding it gets about 1% higher ABV

caraaroma: Very dark caramel malt with aromatic properties. Adds deep red color and aroma.

melanoidin: Red colored malt that improved head retention and stability. Used in red lagers, ales, dark beers. Intense red color and malty aroma.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-24-2014, 04:27 PM   #652
LandoLincoln
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 572 Times on 330 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mysticmead View Post
the caraaroma and melanoidin malts provide the color as well as malty aroma. Trust me.. I added the honey as a simple ABV boost; 1lb of honey won't add to the color and very little if any flavor. In fact, the boost in abv actually pushed it to the very upper edge of the BJCP guidelines. Leaving it out will make a slightly lower ABV version. Adding it gets about 1% higher ABV

caraaroma: Very dark caramel malt with aromatic properties. Adds deep red color and aroma.

melanoidin: Red colored malt that improved head retention and stability. Used in red lagers, ales, dark beers. Intense red color and malty aroma.
What I'm saying is, if you drop the honey but still want to keep the OG of the original recipe, you're going to have to add more base malt, and if you do that, you're going to dilute the deep redness. It'll still probably be red, but more of a brownish red.

Old 07-24-2014, 05:28 PM   #653
Toilet Rocker

Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I would be comfortable falling a few points below the SG that mystic hit due to omission of honey. I think I can approach a similar color as well, not necessarily a match.

When people ask what I do for a living, I say I brew beer. No, not as a profession, but to live.

Old 08-05-2014, 08:49 PM   #654
jmac93
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Likes Given: 3

Just brewed this on Saturday, 11gallons. Differences: Nottingham, by mistake added the honey at the beginning of the boil and 2oz of Hallertaurer at 60m and 1.5oz of Willamette at 30m. Gravity was a little off, but we will see how it turns out.

Old 08-06-2014, 06:52 PM   #655
Doed
Route 150 Brewery
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 12

So this summer I have decided to re-try two recipes that I had made in the past but messed them up so bad that they had to be dumped, this recipe was one. Originally I let the mashed wort sit overnight and cool off before I boiled it the next day. This caused something very bad to happen and the aroma on that batch was so bad that it made me gag and I had to eventually dump it because I just couldn't get past the smell.

Fast forward to this past Sunday. This time big difference. My processes have improved over the years and I have eliminated stupid mistakes. The wort smelled wonderful. I only added 1/2 pound of honey since that is all I had on hand and I used rehydrated US-05. This morning I checked and the yeast are still chewing away.

I am positive that this is going to turn out great this time around.

Old 08-06-2014, 10:00 PM   #656
Mysticmead
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doed View Post
So this summer I have decided to re-try two recipes that I had made in the past but messed them up so bad that they had to be dumped, this recipe was one. Originally I let the mashed wort sit overnight and cool off before I boiled it the next day. This caused something very bad to happen and the aroma on that batch was so bad that it made me gag and I had to eventually dump it because I just couldn't get past the smell.

Fast forward to this past Sunday. This time big difference. My processes have improved over the years and I have eliminated stupid mistakes. The wort smelled wonderful. I only added 1/2 pound of honey since that is all I had on hand and I used rehydrated US-05. This morning I checked and the yeast are still chewing away.

I am positive that this is going to turn out great this time around.

glad ya gave this another shot. you won't be disappointed

Old 08-06-2014, 10:02 PM   #657
Mysticmead
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmac93 View Post
Just brewed this on Saturday, 11gallons. Differences: Nottingham, by mistake added the honey at the beginning of the boil and 2oz of Hallertaurer at 60m and 1.5oz of Willamette at 30m. Gravity was a little off, but we will see how it turns out.
you'll still make a great beer. this recipe is very forgiving. Notty is a good alternative yeast. Not as clean as US-05 or WLP-001 but still a good choice. adding the honey at the beginning of boil isn't a big deal and the hops are fine too.

Old 08-09-2014, 04:43 AM   #658
iglehart
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Question, I have 55 lbs of munich II. What difference in this recipe will it make if I substitue munich II for the base male?

Thanks in advance.

Old 08-09-2014, 04:53 AM   #659
iglehart
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

I also dont have white labs, what is the equivalent wyeast?

Old 08-09-2014, 06:35 AM   #660
Mysticmead
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by iglehart View Post
Question, I have 55 lbs of munich II. What difference in this recipe will it make if I substitue munich II for the base male?

Thanks in advance.
it would be a completely different beer and not even close to an Irish red. Although a 100% Munich does make a great red lager as well as an american amber of hopped aggressively

Quick Reply