Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Scottish and Irish Ale > All-Grain - Raging Red Irish Red Ale

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-25-2013, 02:58 PM   #411
Mysticmead
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 75 Times on 55 Posts
Likes Given: 120

deleted

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-11-2013, 04:21 AM   #412
rbyount
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Mysticmead -
My thanks for an incredible recipe. Did my first homebrew this spring (kits), and this was my first foray into all grain. Did a noob goof and forgot the Melanoiden, but the beer is now quite drinkable although not with the full red color I've seen by others. Only concern I have now is I don't want to share it (except of course with SWMBO).

As I had done a couple of carb bombs I was conservative with the sugar for bottling and perhaps could have done a bit more. But the head, while not voluminous, does stay. Wonderful taste, easy to drink.

This will be one I want to always have available.

beer-004.jpg  
Old 10-11-2013, 03:19 PM   #413
Mysticmead
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbyount View Post
Mysticmead -
My thanks for an incredible recipe. Did my first homebrew this spring (kits), and this was my first foray into all grain. Did a noob goof and forgot the Melanoiden, but the beer is now quite drinkable although not with the full red color I've seen by others. Only concern I have now is I don't want to share it (except of course with SWMBO).

As I had done a couple of carb bombs I was conservative with the sugar for bottling and perhaps could have done a bit more. But the head, while not voluminous, does stay. Wonderful taste, easy to drink.

This will be one I want to always have available.
beautiful beer and happy I was able to share this recipe with you (and everyone else)

Old 10-14-2013, 08:32 PM   #414
cjhammel
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Finished drinking my first keg of this everyone who tasted said it was a winner. Will be brewing this one again.

Here is how it turned out for me.

red.jpg  
Old 10-14-2013, 09:31 PM   #415
Mysticmead
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjhammel View Post
Finished drinking my first keg of this everyone who tasted said it was a winner. Will be brewing this one again.

Here is how it turned out for me.
awesome looking beer... glad ya liked it!

Old 10-22-2013, 02:52 PM   #416
rzuck
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

I just racked a 10 gallon batch of this beauty to kegs this past weekend. I brewed the recipe, unchanged, and hit the gravity numbers. The sample from the primary tasted terrific and the color is outstanding. I can't wait to try it carbonated. Thanks for sharing the recipe.

Old 10-25-2013, 02:35 PM   #417
cpl-america
Recipes 

Liked 61 Times on 50 Posts
Likes Given: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shenanigans View Post
Hi,
So I plan on giving this brew a go in a few weeks time.
The original recepie is for BIAB if I use this amount of grain for my setup where I mash in a cooler I should get 5-10 points more for the OG. I’m still working on optimising my system so the chances are that I won’t relalise this but if I do end up with a higher O.G. will this effect the taste of the beer significantly? Would it be advised to dilute it down with a few quarts of pre-boiled and cooled water?
I haven’t had a chance to read all 30+ pages in this thread but has someone already brewed this with an OG of 1.065 to 1.070 and did it still taste as awsome?
Thanks a lot.
I usually run about 82-83% efficiency biab, and yes it was amazing.

"it's totally cheaper to brew beer, honey, i swear."

Old 11-03-2013, 11:05 PM   #418
rknerem
Recipes 

Brewed this two weeks ago following exact recipe, OG 1.060, 73% efficiency, great color. 15 days in primary, kegged today. Took a gravity reading and it was still 1.022, going to leave in keg one more week to see if it goes down any more before i put it in the kegerator and cool. My mash temp was lower than i wanted, about 148, but iodine test showed conversion. Could this account for a high finish gravity? first AG batch in many years.

Old 11-04-2013, 01:35 AM   #419
Mysticmead
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rknerem View Post
Brewed this two weeks ago following exact recipe, OG 1.060, 73% efficiency, great color. 15 days in primary, kegged today. Took a gravity reading and it was still 1.022, going to leave in keg one more week to see if it goes down any more before i put it in the kegerator and cool. My mash temp was lower than i wanted, about 148, but iodine test showed conversion. Could this account for a high finish gravity? first AG batch in many years.

a lower mash temp normally equals a more fermentable wort and a lower FG. I would check the thermometer and make sure it was reading correctly

Old 11-09-2013, 06:02 PM   #420
SEndorf
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Just put this in the fermenter. Looks good but had some strange numbers. I also could not get to 152 mash in my garage. Mashed at 150. Gravity 1.049. OG after boil is 1.08! Think I had a lot of boil off. Might need to adjust for my larger boil kettle? Ended up with about 4.8 gal.

Keg 1 - Dr. Smurto Pale Ale
Keg 2 - 401 IPA Clone
Keg 3 - Summit EPA Clone
In Fermenter - Vienna Smoked Lager
On Deck 1 - Ol' Hound Dog Red Ale

Quick Reply