Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Scottish and Irish Ale > All-Grain - Raging Red Irish Red Ale

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-08-2013, 06:40 PM   #391
MichaelsBrewing
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Circleville
Posts: 342
Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default


Just thought I'd drop by this wildly popular thread. I have made my variation of this recipe (basically omitting the honey) for the 14th time; more than any other. I mashed a little lower than IMHO it should have been @152. The result is a thinner product and a slight warming taste. OG 1041 FG 1006. Although the miss in temp it is still a stellar recipe!

If you are hovering wondering if you should brew it; you should . Fall is almost here and what could more perfect?

Cheers once again to the OP.

__________________
"I like em' sour!"
MichaelsBrewing is offline  
Mysticmead Likes This 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-09-2013, 01:09 PM   #392
robertmeyer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 14
Likes Given: 2

Default


Quote:
Originally Posted by Mysticmead View Post
thanks! the beers look good and taste even better. I'm going to go into over load brewing mode this weekend... 4 beers to get going for a camping trip in late sept. this will probably be one of them... gonna go from light to dark.... cream ale, IPA, red, stout.. add in a few gallons of mead and it'll be a good camping trip
That sounds awesome! I am planning on brewing your recipe this weekend, and I wish I could brew more than one as well. I just started out about 6 months ago, so I am currently gathering things here and there. One day I will be able to knock out that many brews, and as well use it for a camping trip. I will post pictures on the final product. Again thanks for the recipe!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelsBrewing View Post
Just thought I'd drop by this wildly popular thread. I have made my variation of this recipe (basically omitting the honey) for the 14th time; more than any other. I mashed a little lower than IMHO it should have been @152. The result is a thinner product and a slight warming taste. OG 1041 FG 1006. Although the miss in temp it is still a stellar recipe!

If you are hovering wondering if you should brew it; you should . Fall is almost here and what could more perfect?

Cheers once again to the OP.
Hey thanks! Because Mysticmead and you have recommended it, I definitely will be brewing it this weekend, and beer in the fall and winter to me sounds like an idyllic time to drink homebrew. Does anyone know of a similar commercial beer that taste close to this recipe? Since I will be brewing it, I figured I would taste something similar.

Cheers guys
__________________
robertmeyer is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-10-2013, 02:31 AM   #393
bkorver
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
bkorver's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Salt Lake City
Posts: 122
Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Default


I'm taking my first crack at this one tomorrow morning. I am doing the "1 lb Honey Malt, 1 lb Brown Sugar" version instead of the honey. Can't wait! I'll post some photos after I get it keged...

bkorver is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-23-2013, 12:47 PM   #394
Shenanigans
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 120
Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts

Default


Hi,
So I plan on giving this brew a go in a few weeks time.
The original recepie is for BIAB if I use this amount of grain for my setup where I mash in a cooler I should get 5-10 points more for the OG. I’m still working on optimising my system so the chances are that I won’t relalise this but if I do end up with a higher O.G. will this effect the taste of the beer significantly? Would it be advised to dilute it down with a few quarts of pre-boiled and cooled water?
I haven’t had a chance to read all 30+ pages in this thread but has someone already brewed this with an OG of 1.065 to 1.070 and did it still taste as awsome?
Thanks a lot.

__________________
Shenanigans is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-23-2013, 01:26 PM   #395
Mysticmead
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Kingston, GA
Posts: 1,267
Liked 72 Times on 53 Posts
Likes Given: 113

Default


Quote:
Originally Posted by Shenanigans View Post
Hi,
So I plan on giving this brew a go in a few weeks time.
The original recepie is for BIAB if I use this amount of grain for my setup where I mash in a cooler I should get 5-10 points more for the OG. I’m still working on optimising my system so the chances are that I won’t relalise this but if I do end up with a higher O.G. will this effect the taste of the beer significantly? Would it be advised to dilute it down with a few quarts of pre-boiled and cooled water?
I haven’t had a chance to read all 30+ pages in this thread but has someone already brewed this with an OG of 1.065 to 1.070 and did it still taste as awsome?
Thanks a lot.
what is your brew house efficiency? You have to remember that the ONLY difference between BIAB and a traditional 3 vessel setup is the name and the method. both are All Grain. As such, both rely on the efficiency of your setup. This was designed around 72-75% efficiency. If you get higher efficiency, then you can either roll with a higher OG or adjust the base grain a little to bring it in line. the difference between 72 and 75% is not enough to worry about.


bottom line. brew it. drink it, you won't be disappointed. you'll have a 6-6.5% abv beer. That's such a small difference you won't notice. for what its worth... since creating this recipe I bought my own grain mill and crush a lot finer than my LHBS did.. my efficiency went up and yes I get about 1.065 on this beer. still tastes awesome
__________________
Mysticmead is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-23-2013, 11:40 PM   #396
Shenanigans
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 120
Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts

Default


Quote:
Originally Posted by Mysticmead View Post
what is your brew house efficiency? You have to remember that the ONLY difference between BIAB and a traditional 3 vessel setup is the name and the method. both are All Grain. As such, both rely on the efficiency of your setup. This was designed around 72-75% efficiency. If you get higher efficiency, then you can either roll with a higher OG or adjust the base grain a little to bring it in line. the difference between 72 and 75% is not enough to worry about.


bottom line. brew it. drink it, you won't be disappointed. you'll have a 6-6.5% abv beer. That's such a small difference you won't notice. for what its worth... since creating this recipe I bought my own grain mill and crush a lot finer than my LHBS did.. my efficiency went up and yes I get about 1.065 on this beer. still tastes awesome
Great, thanks for your reply.
I'm also somewhere about the 70% mark but I have only brewed once with my new system and I oversparged so this brew will go a long way to help determine exactly what my efficiency is. Before this I was doing step mashing with a constant heat source and lautering using the two bucket method. Now I'm doing infusion in a cooler with a bazooka screen. So it will probably take another few brews before I have concrete values. Great that this is such a forgiving brew that apparently tasts great even if you under- or overshoot.
__________________
Shenanigans is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-03-2013, 12:51 PM   #397
cmor
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 21
Default


Just checking in with an update...this beer keeps getting better. I finally had the chance to sit by a campfire with some in my glass and talk about being a happy camper.

I also passed some along to a co-worker of mine, along with a coffee stout I brewed in May. He really enjoyed both(a little more love towards the stout though) and is thinking about getting into brewing now.

Once again, kudos to you for the recipe, and thanks for sharing.

Steve

__________________
cmor is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-04-2013, 01:12 AM   #398
Mysticmead
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Kingston, GA
Posts: 1,267
Liked 72 Times on 53 Posts
Likes Given: 113

Default


Quote:
Originally Posted by cmor View Post
Just checking in with an update...this beer keeps getting better. I finally had the chance to sit by a campfire with some in my glass and talk about being a happy camper.

I also passed some along to a co-worker of mine, along with a coffee stout I brewed in May. He really enjoyed both(a little more love towards the stout though) and is thinking about getting into brewing now.

Once again, kudos to you for the recipe, and thanks for sharing.

Steve
awesome. that's the best part of brewing, sharing with friends. Then dragging them into the hobby. Remember, the more people that brew beer, the more beer for you to drink!
__________________
Mysticmead is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-09-2013, 01:40 PM   #399
vbman29
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Harrisburg
Posts: 7
Default


I brewed this on Saturday, but the LHBS didn't have Crystal so I subbed Williamette and Cascade. IBU's were a little high for this style. Do you think the hop flavor or bitterness will be too out of balance?

__________________
vbman29 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-09-2013, 02:49 PM   #400
Mysticmead
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Kingston, GA
Posts: 1,267
Liked 72 Times on 53 Posts
Likes Given: 113

Default


Quote:
Originally Posted by vbman29 View Post
I brewed this on Saturday, but the LHBS didn't have Crystal so I subbed Williamette and Cascade. IBU's were a little high for this style. Do you think the hop flavor or bitterness will be too out of balance?
a little high isn't going to hurt anything. a LOT high will be noticed. Would it be bad? Naaa, but it would be a different beer
__________________
Mysticmead is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply



Quick Reply
Message:
Options
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
All-Grain - Big O. Irish Red Ale johnodon Scottish and Irish Ale 1 09-25-2013 04:32 PM
Rolf's Irish Red Soulive Scottish and Irish Ale 33 08-02-2013 01:15 AM
Partial - Shillelagh Irish Red nukebrewer Scottish and Irish Ale 1 04-14-2012 06:52 PM
All-Grain - Red Coat Irish CheemsAF Scottish and Irish Ale 0 05-02-2010 05:50 AM