Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Scottish and Irish Ale > All-Grain - Raging Red Irish Red Ale

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-23-2011, 04:47 AM   #31
Mysticmead
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Kingston, GA
Posts: 1,267
Liked 72 Times on 53 Posts
Likes Given: 113

Default


Quote:
Originally Posted by daveooph131 View Post
Thinking about brewing this...

What would you think about using a bit of roasted malt, and maybe a different yeast?
feel free to change anything on it that you want.. will it be the same? no. That's best thing about homebrewing you can pretty much brew what ya want.
__________________
Mysticmead is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-23-2011, 05:03 AM   #32
daveooph131
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 1,114
Liked 31 Times on 27 Posts

Default


I was just wondering what some roast would add. Would you say your recipe is a traditional Irish res or more like and amber?

__________________
Scrat Brewing Company
daveooph131 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-23-2011, 05:48 AM   #33
Mysticmead
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Kingston, GA
Posts: 1,267
Liked 72 Times on 53 Posts
Likes Given: 113

Default


Quote:
Originally Posted by daveooph131 View Post
I was just wondering what some roast would add. Would you say your recipe is a traditional Irish res or more like and amber?
closer to a traditional Irish red.. deep red, malty, just enough hops to balance it out.
__________________
Mysticmead is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-24-2011, 02:28 PM   #34
daveooph131
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 1,114
Liked 31 Times on 27 Posts

Default


Awesome thanks for the reply I'll be brewing this up in January sometime and tap it on st. Parick's day!

What would you say the honey adds wondering what to expect with that because I've never used it before?

Also what about carafoam and caraaroma? I've never seen these at my lhbs? Is melanoidin similiar?

__________________
Scrat Brewing Company
daveooph131 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-24-2011, 04:26 PM   #35
MichaelsBrewing
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Circleville
Posts: 342
Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default


Quote:
Originally Posted by daveooph131
Thinking about brewing this...

What would you think about using a bit of roasted malt, and maybe a different yeast?
What yeast are you thinking?
__________________
"I like em' sour!"
MichaelsBrewing is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-24-2011, 06:05 PM   #36
Mysticmead
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Kingston, GA
Posts: 1,267
Liked 72 Times on 53 Posts
Likes Given: 113

Default


Quote:
Originally Posted by daveooph131 View Post
Awesome thanks for the reply I'll be brewing this up in January sometime and tap it on st. Parick's day!

What would you say the honey adds wondering what to expect with that because I've never used it before?

Also what about carafoam and caraaroma? I've never seen these at my lhbs? Is melanoidin similiar?
carafoam is the same as carpils... caraaroma is like an extra malty camamel 120-130... melanoidin isn't as dark.. the combo of caraaroma and melanoidin gives a very deep red.. almost a ruby red. together they also give a malty aroma and malty favor which is key to the style. the honey honestly doesn't add much in the way of flavor or aroma as its a very small amount and it gets boiled. it does add fermentables to boost the ABV a small amount. it can be left out and you'll still have a great beer.
__________________
Mysticmead is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-24-2011, 09:43 PM   #37
daveooph131
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 1,114
Liked 31 Times on 27 Posts

Default


Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelsBrewing

What yeast are you thinking?
Either a traditional Irish ale yeast or possibly my go to Wlp029 or wlp051.

Suggestions?
__________________
Scrat Brewing Company
daveooph131 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-26-2011, 06:19 PM   #38
MichaelsBrewing
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Circleville
Posts: 342
Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default


Quote:
Originally Posted by daveooph131

Either a traditional Irish ale yeast or possibly my go to Wlp029 or wlp051.

Suggestions?
I think the next time I make it I will use SafAle US 05 - Cali Yeast. This past brew I used WLP - 051 Cali Ale V.
__________________
"I like em' sour!"
MichaelsBrewing is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-26-2011, 06:26 PM   #39
Mysticmead
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Kingston, GA
Posts: 1,267
Liked 72 Times on 53 Posts
Likes Given: 113

Default


Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelsBrewing View Post
I think the next time I make it I will use SafAle US 05 - Cali Yeast. This past brew I used WLP - 051 Cali Ale V.
that has become my go to yeast when I want to beer that is very yeast neutral.. nice and clean. not to mention cheaper than whitelabs
__________________
Mysticmead is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-26-2011, 06:46 PM   #40
MichaelsBrewing
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Circleville
Posts: 342
Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default


Quote:
Originally Posted by Mysticmead

that has become my go to yeast when I want to beer that is very yeast neutral.. nice and clean. not to mention cheaper than whitelabs
I couldn't agree more

I always have great and predictable results with it.
__________________
"I like em' sour!"
MichaelsBrewing is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply



Quick Reply
Message:
Options
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
All-Grain - Big O. Irish Red Ale johnodon Scottish and Irish Ale 1 09-25-2013 04:32 PM
Rolf's Irish Red Soulive Scottish and Irish Ale 33 08-02-2013 01:15 AM
Partial - Shillelagh Irish Red nukebrewer Scottish and Irish Ale 1 04-14-2012 06:52 PM
All-Grain - Red Coat Irish CheemsAF Scottish and Irish Ale 0 05-02-2010 05:50 AM