Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Scottish and Irish Ale > All-Grain - Raging Red Irish Red Ale

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-08-2013, 04:27 AM   #231
Mysticmead
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 70 Times on 51 Posts
Likes Given: 106

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carrollyn View Post
So now I've got a couple of extract batches and a couple of AG batches under my beginner's belt, and I'm looking for a worthy red for my next project. This one looks like a great prospect. I've been skimming through some of the posts. Did I see that you (Mysticmead) did this BIAB? That is how I am brewing. I've been adding 10% to the grain bill to compensate for less efficiency (instead of the other option of double crushing). Would i stil do that for this recipe?
Due to limitations on my pot, I'm doing 3 to 3 1/2 gallon batches (6 gallon kettle). I'm assuming I could cut down the recipe for that?
I like a nice hop flavor to balance the malt. Would it be advised to add more hops? I haven't dry hopped before, but is that what I should do?

So far all my beer has turned out very nicely. I just brought my first AG beer, a pale ale similar to Sierra Nevada PA, to my homebrew club meeting last night, for tasting, and was stoked at how well it was received. Can't wait to get started on the next brew!
congrats on switching to AG!. Yes treat this just as you would any other AG beer. For BIAB either add 10% or double crush. Let me know how it turns out!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-08-2013, 04:29 AM   #232
mpride1911
Angry Brewer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 113 Times on 82 Posts
Likes Given: 215

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdiddlemcgriddle View Post
Just brewed this last night. I used the WLP001 and it exploded when I opened the vial. Not sure how much yeast actually made it into the wort. I checked on it this morning and the airlock showed no signs of fermentation. I know I should RDWHAHB. This was my first endeavor into WLP yeasts. Has anyone ever had the same issue with the yeast exploding like a shook up soda pop?

On two occasions. I think it was this vial and the farmhouse vial. My first and last. Though after that first one, I learned to open very slowly. I make a starter every time though, so it hasn't been an issue. My last three beers have all used WLP001, so I'm just reusing at the moment. Pitched onto yeast for 2nd beer and washed and pitched on the same day for the Raging Red (3rd).

Doing evil things to evil people since 2003.
http://www.facebook.com/CounterinsurgencyBrewing
Primary: 1. Belgian Wit 2. Pale ale 3.

Secondary: 1.
Kegged: 1. Shabak chair NWPA; 2. Blonde; 3. Kiss Yer Cousin Rye 4. Oktoberfest lager; 5. EMPTY 6. EMPTY

Bottled: 1. Blonde ale 2. 1.125 OG experiment 3. Chechen Rebel blackberry blonde ale 4. Arrogant Modified

Old 03-08-2013, 04:31 AM   #233
Mysticmead
Recipes 

Quote:
Just brewed this last night. I used the WLP001 and it exploded when I opened the vial. Not sure how much yeast actually made it into the wort. I checked on it this morning and the airlock showed no signs of fermentation. I know I should RDWHAHB. This was my first endeavor into WLP yeasts. Has anyone ever had the same issue with the yeast exploding like a shook up soda pop?
yep, have had that happen many times. then I started making starters at least 24 hours before pitching (stir plates are a great tool. if you don't have one, MAKE one!). making a starter is recommended even though WhiteLabs is listed as a pitchable tube. You'll have more healthy active yeast cells ready to go and it'll reduce the lag time

Old 03-08-2013, 03:43 PM   #234
pdiddlemcgriddle
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mysticmead

yep, have had that happen many times. then I started making starters at least 24 hours before pitching (stir plates are a great tool. if you don't have one, MAKE one!). making a starter is recommended even though WhiteLabs is listed as a pitchable tube. You'll have more healthy active yeast cells ready to go and it'll reduce the lag time
I do have the homemade stir plate. Normally I do use it. I just switched from my go to yeast SO4 to my first ever liquid yeast. My ignorance told me that it would be okay to not make a starter. Thanks for the advice. I know different now.

Will it be worth it to repitch or should I wait to see if I get any action? Also the temp in my basement dropped the beer to around 62 deg. What is the temp range on this yeast?

Old 03-08-2013, 06:27 PM   #235
Mysticmead
Recipes 

Quote:
I do have the homemade stir plate. Normally I do use it. I just switched from my go to yeast SO4 to my first ever liquid yeast. My ignorance told me that it would be okay to not make a starter. Thanks for the advice. I know different now.

Will it be worth it to repitch or should I wait to see if I get any action? Also the temp in my basement dropped the beer to around 62 deg. What is the temp range on this yeast?
I'd let it ride (yeast isn't cheap).. or if ya have some US05 laying around pitch it. The temps according to Whitelabs is 68-73. I normally ferment at 65-66

Old 03-08-2013, 09:10 PM   #236
m_stodd
Recipes 

Liked 56 Times on 38 Posts

This beer (for me) is much better after 4 weeks in the bottle than at 2 or 3. I wasn't a big fan initially, but it's getting better.

Old 03-11-2013, 02:11 AM   #237
Dimych
Recipes 

Likes Given: 2

Just did this brew with a bit less honey (I'd like to have a few in a single sitting), and pitched 1028, I just had it sitting around, so it is an excellent use for it, methinks. We shall see how it turns out. Fingers crossed for no infections!

На здоровье!

Old 03-11-2013, 02:18 PM   #238
MattyPBrew
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

I altered this a bit as I didn't have access to Caraaroma. I substituted Crystal 120. I also added .5# honey malt and no honey at the end. I used 1pk rehydrated US05 and I used hops on hand. .5 oz Magnum 60mins and 1oz Willamette at 20mins.

This is a fantasic beer. Very smooth. Got great red color. The honey malt pulls through as the usual red has a pretty earthy flavor profile. Diggin this beer.

Old 03-11-2013, 02:22 PM   #239
Mysticmead
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattyPBrew View Post
I altered this a bit as I didn't have access to Caraaroma. I substituted Crystal 120. I also added .5# honey malt and no honey at the end. I used 1pk rehydrated US05 and I used hops on hand. .5 oz Magnum 60mins and 1oz Willamette at 20mins.

This is a fantasic beer. Very smooth. Got great red color. The honey malt pulls through as the usual red has a pretty earthy flavor profile. Diggin this beer.
glad ya like it!

Old 03-12-2013, 01:31 AM   #240
mjap52
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Just pulled a "quality control" pint as I'm trying to save it for my party on Saturday to serve along side a Nitro'd Oatmeal Stout, and I gotta say this is a stellar recipe. Good on you.

I did sub the Cascade for Centennial, but the rest is the same.

Deep toasted caramel/toffee malty goodness. Beautiful deep deep red and some nice lacing on the glass.

Eggertsville Brewhouse: Stealing the livers of suburbanites, one pint at a time!

Quick Reply