Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Scottish and Irish Ale > All-Grain - Raging Red Irish Red Ale

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-03-2013, 09:08 PM   #221
mpride1911
Angry Brewer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 112 Times on 81 Posts
Likes Given: 211

Thanks. I'm partly embarrassed by it. It works great, but I feel bad when I see all the hardcore steel, powder and chrome plated set ups out there.

Doing evil things to evil people since 2003.
http://www.facebook.com/CounterinsurgencyBrewing
Primary: 1. Belgian Wit 2. Pale ale 3.

Secondary: 1.
Kegged: 1. Shabak chair NWPA; 2. Blonde; 3. Kiss Yer Cousin Rye 4. Oktoberfest lager; 5. EMPTY 6. EMPTY

Bottled: 1. Blonde ale 2. 1.125 OG experiment 3. Chechen Rebel blackberry blonde ale 4. Arrogant Modified

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-03-2013, 09:59 PM   #222
Chavi
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 34

I

Old 03-03-2013, 10:00 PM   #223
Chavi
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad_Horse_Brews View Post
Holy serious set-up Batman!!! Jealous!
I was thinking the same thing! Nice gear!

Old 03-03-2013, 11:14 PM   #224
mpride1911
Angry Brewer

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chavi View Post
I was thinking the same thing! Nice gear!
Thank you.

5 gallons of Raging Red complete. Nailed the efficiency today.

Kegged: 1. Shabak chair NWPA; 2. Blonde; 3. Kiss Yer Cousin Rye 4. Oktoberfest lager; 5. EMPTY 6. EMPTY

Bottled: 1. Blonde ale 2. 1.125 OG experiment 3. Chechen Rebel blackberry blonde ale 4. Arrogant Modified

People Like This 
Old 03-05-2013, 02:39 AM   #225
mjap52
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Just took 15 gallons of this out of my "brite tank" aka sitting on gelatin in a Sanke. Purged the receiving keg and jumped the beer, discarding the murky ends of a gelatin'd beer.

Took a sample during the switch, and damn, I've gotta say this is pretty damn good. Crystal clear, deep amber, and very crisp. Can't wait to finally try it all carbed up on my St. Patricks day party. (Although, I'll certainly sneak a pint or two beforehand).

Eggertsville Brewhouse: Stealing the livers of suburbanites, one pint at a time!

Old 03-05-2013, 02:52 AM   #226
cpl-america
Recipes 

Liked 58 Times on 47 Posts
Likes Given: 40

Just kegged, looking forward to Irish day.

"it's totally cheaper to brew beer, honey, i swear."

Old 03-05-2013, 01:34 PM   #227
mpride1911
Angry Brewer

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjap52 View Post
Just took 15 gallons of this out of my "brite tank" aka sitting on gelatin in a Sanke. Purged the receiving keg and jumped the beer, discarding the murky ends of a gelatin'd beer.

Took a sample during the switch, and damn, I've gotta say this is pretty damn good. Crystal clear, deep amber, and very crisp. Can't wait to finally try it all carbed up on my St. Patricks day party. (Although, I'll certainly sneak a pint or two beforehand).
Could you possibly PM me or point me to a thread that shows me the Brite Tank method you're using the Sanke for? I have 2 Sankes in the garage, with just the spear removed for fermenting and bulk aging and I'd like to see how yours are set up.

Old 03-05-2013, 03:27 PM   #228
mjap52
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpride1911 View Post
Could you possibly PM me or point me to a thread that shows me the Brite Tank method you're using the Sanke for? I have 2 Sankes in the garage, with just the spear removed for fermenting and bulk aging and I'd like to see how yours are set up.
Haha, it's really simple, and not really much of a 'brite tank'.

1. I put my sanitized sanke into my 'lagerator' (just a huge chest freezer that I keep kegs for lagering, conditioning, and waiting to be tapped).
2. Purge Sanke with CO2.
3. Dump Gelatin mix into Sanke (let bloom for 20 minutes at room temp, then heat to 170 to pasteurize is the process for gelatin).
4. Rack beer on top of gelatin.
5. Replace sanitized spear.
6. "Lager" it for a week or so.
7. Jump from keg to another keg:

Put your tap on it at a low pressure, don't tap it yet.

I have a twisty sanke tap, it's super easy to "turn on" or "turn off" Not sure about the normal taps. Either way, I put a 6 ft sanitized hose without an end on it on my tap.

Tap the keg and the murky gelatin beer will come out. Just do this enough until the line clears, "turn off" the tap when it clears and put it into the receiving keg. Ramp up the pressure a bit or else it'll take forever.

When you notice it's getting close to empty/full, watch for the hose to turn murky. This is where a nice long hose helps so you don't get any of the junk in the new keg. "Turn off" the keg tap when it goes murky.

8. Replace spear on new keg, and clean the old one!

Sorry if that was wordy, or wasn't really what you wanted, but it works for me. I've got a keg of commercial clarity beer that I don't have to worry about agitation

Eggertsville Brewhouse: Stealing the livers of suburbanites, one pint at a time!

Old 03-08-2013, 03:54 AM   #229
Carrollyn
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 5

So now I've got a couple of extract batches and a couple of AG batches under my beginner's belt, and I'm looking for a worthy red for my next project. This one looks like a great prospect. I've been skimming through some of the posts. Did I see that you (Mysticmead) did this BIAB? That is how I am brewing. I've been adding 10% to the grain bill to compensate for less efficiency (instead of the other option of double crushing). Would i stil do that for this recipe?
Due to limitations on my pot, I'm doing 3 to 3 1/2 gallon batches (6 gallon kettle). I'm assuming I could cut down the recipe for that?
I like a nice hop flavor to balance the malt. Would it be advised to add more hops? I haven't dry hopped before, but is that what I should do?

So far all my beer has turned out very nicely. I just brought my first AG beer, a pale ale similar to Sierra Nevada PA, to my homebrew club meeting last night, for tasting, and was stoked at how well it was received. Can't wait to get started on the next brew!

Old 03-08-2013, 04:24 AM   #230
pdiddlemcgriddle
Recipes 

Just brewed this last night. I used the WLP001 and it exploded when I opened the vial. Not sure how much yeast actually made it into the wort. I checked on it this morning and the airlock showed no signs of fermentation. I know I should RDWHAHB. This was my first endeavor into WLP yeasts. Has anyone ever had the same issue with the yeast exploding like a shook up soda pop?

Quick Reply