Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Scottish and Irish Ale > All-Grain - Raging Red Irish Red Ale

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-17-2011, 02:45 AM   #11
Mysticmead
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 70 Times on 51 Posts
Likes Given: 106

I did a 90 minute mash at 154F... Length of the mash really isn't as important as testing for complete conversion.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-17-2011, 03:44 PM   #12
1ratdog
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 2

i did it at 150-152 for 60 and it turned out great

primary-thomas jefferson ale, cali common, mild ale
secondary-imperial mild, oatmeal stout
bottled- whiskey stout

Old 09-22-2011, 10:59 PM   #13
CrystalShip
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Brewed this yesterday using spun honey from a peach orchard. I did biab with sparge and hit 1.060. You are right about the color, beautiful! It's got about three inches of Krausen on top and bubbling away right now.

I mashed for an hour at right about 150-151

Old 09-23-2011, 02:51 AM   #14
Mysticmead
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrystalShip
Brewed this yesterday using spun honey from a peach orchard. I did biab with sparge and hit 1.060. You are right about the color, beautiful! It's got about three inches of Krausen on top and bubbling away right now.

I mashed for an hour at right about 150-151
Congrats! You'll love how it turns out.

Sent from my Epic 4g using Home Brew Talk

Old 09-28-2011, 05:16 PM   #15
Dr1nkBeer
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

My Irish Red is slightly different what would you say gives it the deep red in your recipe?

Kegged::
Amber Ale | Pale Ale
Bottle Aging::
2011 Christmas ale (10 mon)
On Deck:
BIGIPA

MY kegerator Build https://picasaweb.google.com/antonio.castano/MyKegerator?feat=directlink
My All Grain Setup https://picasaweb.google.com/antonio.castano/AllGrainBrewingSetup?authuser=0&authkey=Gv1sRgCKyH tLnCiJTtkgE&feat=directlink

Old 09-28-2011, 05:43 PM   #16
bottlebomber
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2642 Times on 2068 Posts
Likes Given: 294

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr1nkBeer
My Irish Red is slightly different what would you say gives it the deep red in your recipe?
I was just going to ask the same thing. I haven't brewed this yet, but its on the to do list. I usually use a couple ounces of roasted barley for redness and a little flavor in my reds. Also why did you choose wlp001 over wlp004?

Old 09-28-2011, 08:43 PM   #17
Mysticmead
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr1nkBeer View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by bottlebomber View Post
I was just going to ask the same thing. I haven't brewed this yet, but its on the to do list. I usually use a couple ounces of roasted barley for redness and a little flavor in my reds. Also why did you choose wlp001 over wlp004?
the deep red is from caraaroma mainly and rounded out by the melanoiden malts. Both were chosen because of the color they'd impart as well as the malty aroma and malty flavors. the combination also adds the roasty/toffee flavors that fall into the style

I used wlp001 because it's a nice clean fermenting yeast. I didn't want to have unwanted flavors added that could take it out of the beer style. wlp004 can produce a little fruitiness, which is fine is a stout but not what I wanted in my red ale.

the BJCP style guidelines laid out what I needed to shoot for and the grains selected gave me the end product that pretty much nailed it. Here's a link to my score sheets which is a great way to get feedback and improve from that point forward. http://mysticmead.com/brewing/score_sheet/irish_red_score_sheet.pdf

and here's the BJCP guideline for the Irish Red Ale.

Quote:
Aroma: Low to moderate malt aroma, generally caramel-like but occasionally toasty or toffee-like in nature. May have a light buttery character (although this is not required). Hop aroma is low to none (usually not present). Quite clean.
Appearance: Amber to deep reddish copper color (most examples have a deep reddish hue). Clear. Low off-white to tan colored head.
Flavor: Moderate caramel malt flavor and sweetness, occasionally with a buttered toast or toffee-like quality. Finishes with a light taste of roasted grain, which lends a characteristic dryness to the finish. Generally no flavor hops, although some examples may have a light English hop flavor. Medium-low hop bitterness, although light use of roasted grains may increase the perception of bitterness to the medium range. Medium-dry to dry finish. Clean and smooth (lager versions can be very smooth). No esters.
Mouthfeel: Medium-light to medium body, although examples containing low levels of diacetyl may have a slightly slick mouthfeel. Moderate carbonation. Smooth. Moderately attenuated (more so than Scottish ales). May have a slight alcohol warmth in stronger versions.

Old 09-29-2011, 01:56 AM   #18
Dr1nkBeer
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

awesome... i think i may add them to my recipe and see how it goes... can you steep those grains? or would you add to the mash?

Amber Ale | Pale Ale
On Deck:
BIGIPA

MY kegerator Build https://picasaweb.google.com/antonio.castano/MyKegerator?feat=directlink
My All Grain Setup https://picasaweb.google.com/antonio.castano/AllGrainBrewingSetup?authuser=0&authkey=Gv1sRgCKyH tLnCiJTtkgE&feat=directlink

Old 09-29-2011, 02:45 AM   #19
Mysticmead
Recipes 

I mashed them but steeping might get the color and a little flavor

Old 10-26-2011, 04:19 PM   #20
Dr1nkBeer
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

about to do my irish red... i havent used honey yet in any beer but wondering what honey you guys perfer.. how do you prepare it or "weight" it. This recipe says add at FO... is that cold? or is it warmed up?

probably a stupid question.

Amber Ale | Pale Ale
On Deck:
BIGIPA

Quick Reply