Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Scottish and Irish Ale > All-Grain - Raging Red Irish Red Ale

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-09-2013, 04:38 AM   #161
Big_Blue
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 5

So odd. Really, only 50% of the bottles, so it was like a game of Russian Roulette.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-10-2013, 01:37 AM   #162
Big_Blue
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 5

As promised, pics!

First pour, lil foamy.

Let there be LIGHT!

5 seconds later...

Old 01-10-2013, 04:57 AM   #163
Mysticmead
Recipes 

Liked 66 Times on 48 Posts
Likes Given: 98

Awesome looking beer!

Old 01-13-2013, 08:23 AM   #164
pentiumone133
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts

Brewed this today as my first all-grain batch. Switched up the hops a little bit, as my LHBS didnt have crystal. Ended up at about 1.065. Boiled off more than I thought I would, so ended up wit ha flat 5 gallons into the fermenter.

Thanks for the recipe. I'll see you in a month.

Old 01-13-2013, 03:08 PM   #165
Mysticmead
Recipes 

congrats!! Let us know how it turns out for ya.

Old 01-16-2013, 04:27 PM   #166
Mofoa
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Thanks for posting up this recipe. I will be picking up my ingredients today from my LHBS in hopes of brewing this Sunday, and have already ordered the caraaroma from homebrew warehouse as recommended.

One question I have is since this recipe calls for dry yeast, no yeast starter is required, is this correct? If you were to use liquid yeast, which strain would you use, and how long would you let it ferment? Wanting to get some practice in for yeast starters as I've only made it once.

Thanks!

Old 01-16-2013, 05:37 PM   #167
Mysticmead
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mofoa View Post
Thanks for posting up this recipe. I will be picking up my ingredients today from my LHBS in hopes of brewing this Sunday, and have already ordered the caraaroma from homebrew warehouse as recommended.

One question I have is since this recipe calls for dry yeast, no yeast starter is required, is this correct? If you were to use liquid yeast, which strain would you use, and how long would you let it ferment? Wanting to get some practice in for yeast starters as I've only made it once.

Thanks!
the recipe calls for Whitelabs WLP001 California Ale yeast which is a liquid yeast. When I make a starter I make a 1.040 gravity wort using water and extract. I normally make 1 quart for ale and 2 quarts for lager. I use a stir plate and it's ready to pitch in 24 hours. without a stir plate I would let it go for 48-72 hours and then pitch the entire starter. If you wanted to skip the starter use US-05 dry yeast.

if you don't have a stir plate they're easy to make. I followed these directions http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/my-stirplate-cheap-easy-build-86252/

Old 01-16-2013, 07:23 PM   #168
Mofoa
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mysticmead View Post
the recipe calls for Whitelabs WLP001 California Ale yeast which is a liquid yeast. When I make a starter I make a 1.040 gravity wort using water and extract. I normally make 1 quart for ale and 2 quarts for lager. I use a stir plate and it's ready to pitch in 24 hours. without a stir plate I would let it go for 48-72 hours and then pitch the entire starter. If you wanted to skip the starter use US-05 dry yeast.

if you don't have a stir plate they're easy to make. I followed these directions http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/my-stirplate-cheap-easy-build-86252/
Much obliged for the response. Also, thanks for including the link on building a stir plate. This will be very helpful. Now off to my LHBS.

Old 01-16-2013, 08:18 PM   #169
Hootmon
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I've brewed this recipe twice with a different recipe called Better Red Than Dead in between. While BRTD is very nice, my buddies and I all feel Raging Red is the better brew. It's definitely a regular on my brew list. Thanks for posting!

Old 01-18-2013, 03:45 PM   #170
Mofoa
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Just made the stir plate last night, again, thanks for posting the link Mysticmead--helped tremendously I hope to be brewing this early next week, just waiting on the Caraaroma to arrive...

Pics of stirplate:

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/my-stirplate-cheap-easy-build-86252/index122.html#post4799295

Quick Reply