So, I've made two batches of a slightly altered version of this.
The first I brewed on 10/4/12 and bottled on 10/25/12. Looked good, smelled good... tasted sketchy. It had a medicinal quality to it. I kicked up some trub when bottling, so I thought that might be why. I figured it would settle out. After cracking open most of the bottles throughout December, I found that some of the bottles were fine (tasted exceptional) and some were not (tasted like old Band-Aids). I'm not sure what the issue was. Bottles weren't all clean enough? I scrubbed the hell and sanitized them all the same. Excess sediment got dropped in random bottles? Possibly. I really did piss it off when bottling. Was it the honey? Maybe? I bought bulk and racked on top of it, rather than adding it at flame out. Maybe the quality of the honey wasn't as good as it was made out to be. Something, somewhere along the line wasn't as clean/sanitized as it could have been? Possibly, though I'm very meticulous and I figure that would have been 100% bad across the board, rather than 50/50-ish.
At any rate, I drank them all/gave them away, horrible taste or no.
I brewed a second batch almost as soon as my fermenter was empty, on 11/20/12. I had not really discovered that the original batch was funky as I was doing this, but when I had I kinda decided to just let it hide away in my closet. I didn't want to find out that it, too, was funky.
While the beer was being quarantined, I decided to upgrade to a kegerator (I could no longer see myself spending an entire day bottling every few weeks. I'm lazy and I drink quickly -- not a great combo).
I finished my build this past weekend and finally got the CO2 tank on Monday. The second batch went in the keg (the first ever) after seven weeks in the fermenter. I was particularly careful about not disturbing the ginormous cake at the bottom.
The sample (reading at an ideal 1.010) was, despite my trepidation, fantastic. It was also much, much clearer than the first run.
Currently, I'm burst carbing it and should have a glass drawn off tonight. If all goes well, I'll have a picture or two to follow (the original batch made me so sad I forgot the camera).